where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials"
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

KARL DEUTSCH
INSTRUMENTS AND SYSTEMS FOR NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING OF MATERIALS.

03:26 Jan-11-2005
Peter Lee
How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials"

Hi, Paul

How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" by Krautkramer.

05:23 Jan-11-2005

William Blum

Consultant, Training, Level III Services
NDT Consulting Group Inc.,
USA,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" On www.amazon.com you can find it new for US$235 and used from US$90.

Bill

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, Paul
: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" by Krautkramer.
------------ End Original Message ------------

06:13 Jan-11-2005

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" Bill , Paul,
I bought one of these some months ago on ebay. I believe that I paid about 25 Australian Dollars for it, plus a few dollars shipping. If you are not in a hurry, it may be an option to think about.

Godfrey

: On www.amazon.com you can find it new for US$235 and used from US$90.
: Bill
: : Hi, Paul
: : How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" by Krautkramer.

02:35 Jan-11-2005

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" Dear Peter,
You can also purchase this book from your local Krautkramer rep. The code is LBHE and the price is cheaper than from Amazon,less than $200.00 US
Regards

Neil

: Hi, Paul
: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" by Krautkramer.

01:41 Jan-12-2005

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" Hello,

as one ot the authors of the book, still active on UT,
I want to give some information for clearance:

The latest english edition of the book

is the 4th edition (1990), ID 05921.

This edition is still available at the former Krautkramer Office, now named
GE Inspection Technologies GmbH
Robert-Bosch-Str. 3
50354 Huerth, Germany

The price is Euro 172, plus shipping costs.

Older editions on the second-hand market are cheaper of course. So, please take a look at the year of publishing.

Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann

09:29 Nov-25-2006
zahoor elahi
Re: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Peter,
: You can also purchase this book from your local Krautkramer rep. The code is LBHE and the price is cheaper than from Amazon,less than $200.00 US
: Regards
: Neil
:
: : Hi, Paul
: : How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" by Krautkramer.
------------ End Orignal Message ------------

15:38 Oct-25-2011
Chris Forryan
Re: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" In Reply to Udo Schlengermann at 01:41 Jan-12-2005 .

Hello,

I am looking for somewhere to purchase the Krautkrämer Booklet. I saw one today and thought that it would make a nice addition to my tool box!

Thanks
Chris

16:32 Oct-25-2011
Norm Woodward
Re: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" In Reply to Chris Forryan at 15:38 Oct-25-2011 .

As was discussed in this forum back in 2008, GE had decided to not to continue the production of the Krautdramer Blue Book. It may still be available in KK offices overseas, or, of course, used, but unfortunately it is not being published here in the US.

Perhaps as punishment for GE's shortsightedness, I would like to give a plug for a booklet offered by their competitor, Olympus.

They have continued to produce a somewhat bigger, spiral-bound booklet called "Phased Array Technical Guidelines; Useful Formulas, Graphs, and Examples," written by their OmniScan's original developers, RD Tech.

Even if you are not interested in phased array technology, this book is a great reference book on ultrasound, giving all kinds of formulas, constants, and illustrated examples which are useful regardless of the kind of transducers being used.

We got free copies from them when they were giving us demos of the technology, which we never adopted. I am not sure if they are still that easy (and cheap) to get, but I would recommend trying.

16:53 Oct-25-2011

Luis Marka

Consultant, US-N2-S2.1
Eclipse Scientific Inc.,
Brazil,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" In Reply to Norm Woodward at 16:32 Oct-25-2011 .

I believe the book Mr. Woodward mentioned is this one:

http://www.olympus-ims.com/data/File/books-2/Olympus-Phased_Array_Testing.en.pdf

The book is available as a .PDF file in Olympus website.

20:44 Oct-25-2011
Norm Woodward
Re: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" In Reply to Luis Marka at 16:53 Oct-25-2011 .

Yeah, that's basically the same book, with the emphasis on "basically."

Olympus shortened the booklet from 184 pages to 118, most noticably in the "Useful Tables, Charts, and Formulas" section, demoted from a 43 page chapter to a six-page appendix.

A couple of the many topics dropped included a short but informative description of creeping waves, and a lot of charts and figures concerning curvature effects on sound paths.

The newer book is still informative, especially if you are considering using a phased array system, but the older (2005) book was really a great compact reference book.

22:29 Oct-25-2011

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: How to buy the book "Ultrasonic Testing of Materials" In Reply to Chris Forryan at 15:38 Oct-25-2011 .

Just to clarify or to avoid misunderstandings:

i) The book 'Ultrasonic Testing of Materials' by Krautkramer, latest edition 1990 (co-author Udo Schlengermann) is a real book in standard size at a price of about $ 200 (and it's worth the price!), to be kept in your bookcase.

ii) The 'blue booklet' on ultrasonics, in the past given free of charge to Krautkramer customers (author Udo Schlengermann), unfortunately no longer published by GE, is extremly valuable to be carried with you during your engagements or operations, just to look on facts and data you need at once.

Regards
Uli Mletzko
(retired, MPA, University of Stuttgart, Germany)

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|