where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.

Technical Discussions
Michael E. Thomas
Michael E. Thomas
06:09 Jan-15-2005
RT coverage, ANSI B16.34

Hello, in fact I'm looking for a voice of authority to affirm and agree with my interpretation of the standard as noted below ... I've been a casting radiographer for almost 30 years and have made this arguement for almost as many. I'm supposed to be "good" so my reputation is definitely on the line! If you disagree with the following ,please be firm but gentle.

With regard to "critical areas" of valves (valve body only), radiographic method - ANSI B16.34; the standard is in my opinion (and this is where I get into trouble), very clear considering coverage which, here we go, DOES NOT INCLUDE FLANGE NECKS other than the NECK of FLANGED, BOLT ON BONNETS.
I cannot find in the written description any reference to flange necks other than that specified in the paragraph for the bonnet area, flanged or otherwise. Further, there is no implication of flange necks being "critical" in the sketches provided by the standard, other than at the flanged, bonnet site.
This does not detract from the "seat(s)", "square ends" and/or weld prep end(s) coverage. But simply that, no connection other than the bonnet portion that is fully flanged, requires RT!
It seems ludicrous to me that the standard would depict coverage on the BONNET portion and neck of a reduced flange valve, the bonnet NECK only on a fully flanged valve, one or both seats, one or both weld ends and utterly omit any pictoral representation of a flange neck other than the bonnets'!!

I beleive that intentionally shooting these areas ("peripheral" flange necks) implyng that it is "code required" or "just in case..." does our clients a dis-servive ethically and economically!

Michael E.

Product Spotlight

Panther

The Panther product range combines speed and performance of phased- array ultrasound technology in
a compact format. Targeted towards integrators for inline inspections and laboratories for R&D, Panter products offer a flexible and scalable solution for generic and custom NDT.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window