where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.
Technical Discussions
Michael E. Thomas
Michael E. Thomas
06:09 Jan-15-2005
RT coverage, ANSI B16.34

Hello, in fact I'm looking for a voice of authority to affirm and agree with my interpretation of the standard as noted below ... I've been a casting radiographer for almost 30 years and have made this arguement for almost as many. I'm supposed to be "good" so my reputation is definitely on the line! If you disagree with the following ,please be firm but gentle.

With regard to "critical areas" of valves (valve body only), radiographic method - ANSI B16.34; the standard is in my opinion (and this is where I get into trouble), very clear considering coverage which, here we go, DOES NOT INCLUDE FLANGE NECKS other than the NECK of FLANGED, BOLT ON BONNETS.
I cannot find in the written description any reference to flange necks other than that specified in the paragraph for the bonnet area, flanged or otherwise. Further, there is no implication of flange necks being "critical" in the sketches provided by the standard, other than at the flanged, bonnet site.
This does not detract from the "seat(s)", "square ends" and/or weld prep end(s) coverage. But simply that, no connection other than the bonnet portion that is fully flanged, requires RT!
It seems ludicrous to me that the standard would depict coverage on the BONNET portion and neck of a reduced flange valve, the bonnet NECK only on a fully flanged valve, one or both seats, one or both weld ends and utterly omit any pictoral representation of a flange neck other than the bonnets'!!

I beleive that intentionally shooting these areas ("peripheral" flange necks) implyng that it is "code required" or "just in case..." does our clients a dis-servive ethically and economically!

Michael E.

Product Spotlight

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window