where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
RT coverage, ANSI B16.34
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:09 Jan-15-2005
Michael E. Thomas
RT coverage, ANSI B16.34

Hello, in fact I'm looking for a voice of authority to affirm and agree with my interpretation of the standard as noted below ... I've been a casting radiographer for almost 30 years and have made this arguement for almost as many. I'm supposed to be "good" so my reputation is definitely on the line! If you disagree with the following ,please be firm but gentle.

With regard to "critical areas" of valves (valve body only), radiographic method - ANSI B16.34; the standard is in my opinion (and this is where I get into trouble), very clear considering coverage which, here we go, DOES NOT INCLUDE FLANGE NECKS other than the NECK of FLANGED, BOLT ON BONNETS.
I cannot find in the written description any reference to flange necks other than that specified in the paragraph for the bonnet area, flanged or otherwise. Further, there is no implication of flange necks being "critical" in the sketches provided by the standard, other than at the flanged, bonnet site.
This does not detract from the "seat(s)", "square ends" and/or weld prep end(s) coverage. But simply that, no connection other than the bonnet portion that is fully flanged, requires RT!
It seems ludicrous to me that the standard would depict coverage on the BONNET portion and neck of a reduced flange valve, the bonnet NECK only on a fully flanged valve, one or both seats, one or both weld ends and utterly omit any pictoral representation of a flange neck other than the bonnets'!!

I beleive that intentionally shooting these areas ("peripheral" flange necks) implyng that it is "code required" or "just in case..." does our clients a dis-servive ethically and economically!

Michael E.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|