where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDE for helicopter rotor blades
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:14 Feb-06-2005
flo
NDE for helicopter rotor blades

Hello,
I've got a problem.
I have to come up with a in-service NDE system which should check 12 rotor blades per week.
My rotor blade is made by a leading edge of solid CFRP with heater strip and erosion shield adhesively bonded. The rest of the structure is a non-metallic honeycomb (Nomex) with GFRP layers.
I have to detect delaminations on the solid CFRP; disbonds between CFRP, heater strip and erosion shield; and finally skin-core disbonds and region of crushed core.

I'm concerned due to the fact low frequency methods tend to work quite well with honeycomb and composite skins. But for the monolithic CFRP?
I guess some ultrasonic technique, multi array probe for instance, can do an overall good job but the whole process would be rather slow.

Thanks for your advice,

Floriano.

02:56 Feb-07-2005

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: NDE for helicopter rotor blades ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello,
: I've got a problem.
: I have to come up with a in-service NDE system which should check 12 rotor blades per week.
: My rotor blade is made by a leading edge of solid CFRP with heater strip and erosion shield adhesively bonded. The rest of the structure is a non-metallic honeycomb (Nomex) with GFRP layers.
: I have to detect delaminations on the solid CFRP; disbonds between CFRP, heater strip and erosion shield; and finally skin-core disbonds and region of crushed core.
: I'm concerned due to the fact low frequency methods tend to work quite well with honeycomb and composite skins. But for the monolithic CFRP?
: I guess some ultrasonic technique, multi array probe for instance, can do an overall good job but the whole process would be rather slow.
: Thanks for your advice,
: Floriano.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Dear Floriano,

NDT Consultants in the United Kingdom may be able to help you.

We have a research department, and they are just finishing a project looking at in-service (and in manufacturing) inspection of all types of Aerospace Composites.

One of the developments that has come our of this is N-BUS which we hope to have commercially available "within a few weeks". This is a C-Scan Narrow Band Ultrasonic Spectroscopy.

Alternatively, we are working with a research organisation in the USA developing an Ultrasonic Camera. This permits an almost real time (typically 1 to 2 seconds) image to be captured from immersion ultrasonics, covering an area of about 50mm x 50mm. They are also working on developments for larger areas of view, and also single sided inspection.

A third area is Digital Radiography, where very low X-Ray voltages can produce some high resolution X-Ray images.

Please get in touch with some more details, and we will see how we can cooperate with you.

Regards,

Godfrey Hands

02:17 Feb-07-2005
Jens Forker
Re: NDE for helicopter rotor blades Hello Floriano,

AE (acoustic emission) might be good tool for a check of the rotor blades. It requires loading of the blade but may provide a reasonable quick inspection of your blades.
If you are interested contact me for more information.
regards
Jens

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello,
: I've got a problem.
: I have to come up with a in-service NDE system which should check 12 rotor blades per week.
: My rotor blade is made by a leading edge of solid CFRP with heater strip and erosion shield adhesively bonded. The rest of the structure is a non-metallic honeycomb (Nomex) with GFRP layers.
: I have to detect delaminations on the solid CFRP; disbonds between CFRP, heater strip and erosion shield; and finally skin-core disbonds and region of crushed core.
: I'm concerned due to the fact low frequency methods tend to work quite well with honeycomb and composite skins. But for the monolithic CFRP?
: I guess some ultrasonic technique, multi array probe forinstance, can do an overall good job but the whole process would be rather slow.
: Thanks for your advice,
: Floriano.

05:50 Feb-09-2005
Jörg Collrep
Re: NDE for helicopter rotor blades Hello Floriano,
have you ever tried to use Shearography for these tests. It might be worth to do this but it depends on the depth of the defects you are looking for. If you are interested in this technology or maybe would like to see a demo please contact me to discuss further details.
Rgds
Jörg

: : Hello,
: : I've got a problem.
: : I have to come up with a in-service NDE system which should check 12 rotor blades per week.
: : My rotor blade is made by a leading edge of solid CFRP with heater strip and erosion shield adhesively bonded. The rest of the structure is a non-metallic honeycomb (Nomex) with GFRP layers.
: : I have to detect delaminations on the solid CFRP; disbonds between CFRP, heater strip and erosion shield; and finally skin-core disbonds and region of crushed core.
: : I'm concerned due to the fact low frequency methods tend to work quite well with honeycomb and composite skins. But for the monolithic CFRP?
: : I guess some ultrasonic technique, multi array probe for instance, can do an overall good job but the whole process would be rather slow.
: : Thanks for your advice,
: : Floriano.

02:54 Feb-13-2005

Simon Amallraja

Director
PET Aviation Systems P Ltd,
India,
Joined Jul 2003
Re: NDE for helicopter rotor blades ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hello,
: : I've got a problem.
: : I have to come up with a in-service NDE system which should check 12 rotor blades per week.
: : My rotor blade is made by a leading edge of solid CFRP with heater strip and erosion shield adhesively bonded. The rest of the structure is a non-metallic honeycomb (Nomex) with GFRP layers.
: : I have to detect delaminations on the solid CFRP; disbonds between CFRP, heater strip and erosion shield; and finally skin-core disbonds and region of crushed core.
: : I'm concerned due to the fact low frequency methods tend to work quite well with honeycomb and composite skins. But for the monolithic CFRP?
: : I guess some ultrasonic technique, multi array probe for instance, can do an overall good job but the whole process would be rather slow.
: : Thanks for your advice,
: : Floriano.
:
: Dear Floriano,
: NDT Consultants in the United Kingdom may be able to help you.
: We have a research department, and they are just finishing a project looking at in-service (and in manufacturing) inspection of all types of Aerospace Composites.
: One of the developments that has come our of this is N-BUS which we hope to have commercially available "within a few weeks". This is a C-Scan Narrow Band Ultrasonic Spectroscopy.
: Alternatively, we are working with a research organisation in the USA developing an Ultrasonic Camera. This permits an almost real time (typically 1 to 2 seconds) image to be captured from immersion ultrasonics, covering an area of about 50mm x 50mm. They are also working on developments for larger areas of view, and also single sided inspection.
: A third area is Digital Radiography, where very low X-Ray voltages can produce some high resolution X-Ray images.
: Please get in touch with some more details, and we will see how we can cooperate with you.
: Regards,
: Godfrey Hands

Dear Friend,

You can contact NDT Solutions at UK. They have a real time UT system called Rapidscan - which may be suitable to the application mentioned and you can do the scanning very fast. The data gives A scan, B Scan & C Scan of the component.

Contact Mr. Chris Kirby for more details.

Regards.
Amallraja.

09:43 Aug-25-2005
agni
helicopter rotor blades give some specifications to build the toy helicopter rotor blades

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|