where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Temperature dependence of velocity in metals
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Hillger Ing. Büro
was founded in 1984 and develops special ultrasonic imaging systems for high-tech materials.

01:01 Feb-12-2005

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
Temperature dependence of velocity in metals

I am doing some work where the temperature of the materials I have under test will vary. In particular I am working with zirconium and titanium and some of their alloys. I am looking for either data or an expression that will give me a reasonable curve showing the shear wave velocity change with temperature. Does anyone have something at hand, or a source that they can point me towards? Thanks in advance!

06:39 Feb-15-2005
Ingolf Hertlin
Re: Temperature dependence of velocity in metals Hello,
we did some investigations on the shift of resonance frequencies under temperature variation. You can contact Thomas Herkel from RTE Akustik + Prueftechnik (T.Herkel@rte.de). He can give you some infos.

Best regards
Ingolf Hertlin

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am doing some work where the temperature of the materials I have under test will vary. In particular I am working with zirconium and titanium and some of their alloys. I am looking for either data or an expression that will give me a reasonable curve showing the shear wave velocity change with temperature. Does anyone have something at hand, or a source that they can point me towards? Thanks in advance!
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:44 Feb-15-2005

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Temperature dependence of velocity in metals David:
Many years ago I work in a research facility with a chap named Dr. Doug Mair. He did a complete acoustic and materials parameter report on the properties of Zirconium (actually ZrNb -2.5% Nb)-
I am not sure of his email but he has worked with UTEX and perhaps can be located via telephone
Tel: 905-828-1313 or 1-800-663-8839
If the results of his old report are avilable it may be very helpful. I am quite sure he did a dV/dT on the material.
Regards
Ed
---------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am doing some work where the temperature of the materials I have under test will vary. In particular I am working with zirconium and titanium and some of their alloys. I am looking for either data or an expression that will give me a reasonable curve showing the shear wave velocity change with temperature. Does anyone have something at hand, or a source that they can point me towards? Thanks in advance!

07:10 Feb-16-2005

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Temperature dependence of velocity in metals ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: David:
: Many years ago I work in a research facility with a chap named Dr. Doug Mair. He did a complete acoustic and materials parameter report on the properties of Zirconium (actually ZrNb -2.5% Nb)-
: I am not sure of his email but he has worked with UTEX and perhaps can be located via telephone
: Tel: 905-828-1313 or 1-800-663-8839
: If the results of his old report are avilable it may be very helpful. I am quite sure he did a dV/dT on the material.
: Regards
: Ed
: ---------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I am doing some work where the temperature of the materials I have under test will vary. In particular I am working with zirconium and titanium and some of their alloys. I am looking for either data or an expression that will give me a reasonable curve showing the shear wave velocity change with temperature. Does anyone have something at hand, or a source that they can point me towards? Thanks in advance!

Dear Ed,

The material is Zr-2.5%Nb alloy, used for Pressure tubes in PHWRs (Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors) mainly found in Canada, Argentina and India.

Regards.

Swamy

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|