where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
David Harvey
Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang, USA, Joined Nov 2002, 42

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
01:01 Feb-12-2005
Temperature dependence of velocity in metals

I am doing some work where the temperature of the materials I have under test will vary. In particular I am working with zirconium and titanium and some of their alloys. I am looking for either data or an expression that will give me a reasonable curve showing the shear wave velocity change with temperature. Does anyone have something at hand, or a source that they can point me towards? Thanks in advance!

Ingolf Hertlin
Ingolf Hertlin
06:39 Feb-15-2005
Re: Temperature dependence of velocity in metals
Hello,
we did some investigations on the shift of resonance frequencies under temperature variation. You can contact Thomas Herkel from RTE Akustik + Prueftechnik (T.Herkel@rte.de). He can give you some infos.

Best regards
Ingolf Hertlin

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am doing some work where the temperature of the materials I have under test will vary. In particular I am working with zirconium and titanium and some of their alloys. I am looking for either data or an expression that will give me a reasonable curve showing the shear wave velocity change with temperature. Does anyone have something at hand, or a source that they can point me towards? Thanks in advance!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1261

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
01:44 Feb-15-2005
David:
Many years ago I work in a research facility with a chap named Dr. Doug Mair. He did a complete acoustic and materials parameter report on the properties of Zirconium (actually ZrNb -2.5% Nb)-
I am not sure of his email but he has worked with UTEX and perhaps can be located via telephone
Tel: 905-828-1313 or 1-800-663-8839
If the results of his old report are avilable it may be very helpful. I am quite sure he did a dV/dT on the material.
Regards
Ed
---------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am doing some work where the temperature of the materials I have under test will vary. In particular I am working with zirconium and titanium and some of their alloys. I am looking for either data or an expression that will give me a reasonable curve showing the shear wave velocity change with temperature. Does anyone have something at hand, or a source that they can point me towards? Thanks in advance!

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
07:10 Feb-16-2005
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: David:
: Many years ago I work in a research facility with a chap named Dr. Doug Mair. He did a complete acoustic and materials parameter report on the properties of Zirconium (actually ZrNb -2.5% Nb)-
: I am not sure of his email but he has worked with UTEX and perhaps can be located via telephone
: Tel: 905-828-1313 or 1-800-663-8839
: If the results of his old report are avilable it may be very helpful. I am quite sure he did a dV/dT on the material.
: Regards
: Ed
: ---------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I am doing some work where the temperature of the materials I have under test will vary. In particular I am working with zirconium and titanium and some of their alloys. I am looking for either data or an expression that will give me a reasonable curve showing the shear wave velocity change with temperature. Does anyone have something at hand, or a source that they can point me towards? Thanks in advance!

Dear Ed,

The material is Zr-2.5%Nb alloy, used for Pressure tubes in PHWRs (Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors) mainly found in Canada, Argentina and India.

Regards.

Swamy

Product Spotlight

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window