where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
AE used in the bending testing of concrete beam
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:23 Feb-18-2005

xiaoyan

Student
University of Florida,
USA,
Joined Mar 2002
AE used in the bending testing of concrete beam

I am graduate student. I used Micro-Disp system (8 channels) to monitor the cracking process of concrete beam. I use the biult-in function of AE location function. However, the locations results are so scattered that I can not see any cracking pattern. I want to see if anybody could good experience and like to share with me.

Thank you and have a good weekend!

07:56 Feb-18-2005

Mark Carlos

Engineering, -
MISTRAS Products & Systems,
USA,
Joined Mar 2002
Re: AE used in the bending testing of concrete beam Xiaoyan,

AEwin has excellent location capabilities, and extremely versatile, and for all types of structures. I would be happy to review your files and help if you can send me a layout and DTA file showing an example. My email is mfcarlos@pacndt.com

Regards, Mark Carlos

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am graduate student. I used Micro-Disp system (8 channels) to monitor the cracking process of concrete beam. I use the biult-in function of AE location function. However, the locations results are so scattered that I can not see any cracking pattern. I want to see if anybody could good experience and like to share with me.
: Thank you and have a good weekend!
------------ End Original Message ------------

05:05 Feb-19-2005
Simon Amallraja
Re: AE used in the bending testing of concrete beam ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Xiaoyan,
: AEwin has excellent location capabilities, and extremely versatile, and for all types of structures. I would be happy to review your files and help if you can send me a layout and DTA file showing an example. My email is mfcarlos@pacndt.com
: Regards, Mark Carlos
: : I am graduate student. I used Micro-Disp system (8 channels) to monitor the cracking process of concrete beam. I use the biult-in function of AE location function. However, the locations results are so scattered that I can not see any cracking pattern. I want to see if anybody could good experience and like to share with me.
: : Thank you and have a good weekend!

You can contact Mr Hermut Vallen or Jens Forker in Vallen SYsteme GmbH. They will help you. e.mail: sales@vallen.de They also have some free s/w for student applications. If found suitable, you need to buy them.

D.Simon Amallraja.

02:39 Feb-23-2005
Allen Green
Re: AE used in the bending testing of concrete beam Xiaoyan,
For your information Vallen - Systeme GmbH will let you evaluate their software free of charge on a tme limited basis. They have a conversion program that will read data files from other AE systems and allow their software to perform the analysis. If you are really not able to get the results you need you may want to consider contacting them. (www.vallen.de / support@vallen.de)
They do have a client in the US who is testing concrete beams. Contact me for more information.
Good luck with your project.
Allen Green, Acoustic Technology Group, 916 483-1311.

: : Xiaoyan,
: : AEwin has excellent location capabilities, and extremely versatile, and for all types of structures. I would be happy to review your files and help if you can send me a layout and DTA file showing an example. My email is mfcarlos@pacndt.com
: : Regards, Mark Carlos
: : : I am graduate student. I used Micro-Disp system (8 channels) to monitor the cracking process of concrete beam. I use the biult-in function of AE location function. However, the locations results are so scattered that I can not see any cracking pattern. I want to see if anybody could good experience and like to share with me.
: : : Thank you and have a good weekend!
: You can contact Mr Hermut Vallen or Jens Forker in Vallen SYsteme GmbH. They will help you. e.mail: sales@vallen.de They also have some free s/w for student applications. If found suitable, you need to buy them.
: D.Simon Amallraja.

02:41 Feb-25-2005

Athanasios Anastasopoulos

Director, Business Development, Sales & Engineering
Mistras Group,
Greece,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: AE used in the bending testing of concrete beam Dear Xiaoyan

Different reasons might contribute to the scatter of your located events. Since you do not mentione the dimensions of your specimens and the location method used I cannot comment on the reasons contributing to the scatter. The type of concrete might be the deciding parameter as well. Also note the scattered locations might represent real or secondary events (freting, microcracks, etc). Once location is set up properly, density plots of AE-WINN will certainly help you to highlight the dominant crack.

Reffering to ourexperience please note we have also performed bending experiments of concrete beams. The beams were 2.6meters long with cross section of 150mmX300mm (Two row of 3 embeded steel reinforcemets on top and bottom - compresive and tensile side respectivelly of the cross section. We used 14 PAC-R15I sensors and PAC DiSP 24ch. Sensors were distributed at both sides of the cross section. As location method we used the 3D location of AE-WIN and experimented with the advanced location settings such as Min/Max hits per events, event definition timing etc. Validation of location experimentation was based on HSU sources and after a few trials worked fine.
We performed tests on beams with and without external FRP reinforcment. The speciemns and reinforcements were designed to drive specific failure modes (shear/tensile etc). Using this set up we were able to distignusish the type of failure (shear or tensile crack) at early stage from the located events.
Should you need further info on this set-up or other trials (location based on features/timming extracted from waveforms, moment tensor, etc) please contact me directly through e-mail or call me.
With Best Regards
Nassos Anastasopoulos

: Xiaoyan,
: For your information Vallen - Systeme GmbH will let you evaluate their software free of charge on a tme limited basis. They have a conversion program that will read data files from other AE systems and allow their software to perform the analysis. If you are really not able to get the results you need you may want to consider contacting them. (www.vallen.de / support@vallen.de)
: They do have a client in the US who is testing concrete beams. Contact me for more information.
: Good luck with your project.
: Allen Green, Acoustic Technology Group, 916 483-1311.
: : : Xiaoyan,
: : : AEwin has excellent location capabilities, and extremely versatile, and for all types of structures. I would be happy to review your files and help if you can send me a layout and DTA file showing an example. My email is mfcarlos@pacndt.com
: : : Regards, Mark Carlos
: : : : I am graduate student. I used Micro-Disp system (8 channels) to monitor the cracking process of concrete beam. I use the biult-in function of AE location function. However, the locations results are so scattered that I can not see any cracking pattern. I want to see if anybody could good experience and like to share with me.
: : : : Thank you and have a good weekend!
: : You can contact Mr Hermut Vallen or Jens Forker in Vallen SYsteme GmbH. They will help you. e.mail: sales@vallen.de They also have some free s/w for student applications. If found suitable, you need to buy them.
: : D.Simon Amallraja.

07:42 Mar-08-2005

xiaoyan

Student
University of Florida,
USA,
Joined Mar 2002
thank all who helped with me, Especially PAC
with all the help, I realize the AEwin has a strong capacity in acquiring and analyzing the AE data. However, all the help I get make it possible that I get to know how to apply them. so, here I would like to thank you for all the help I got and I would like give my special appreciation to PAC company for their patient guidance!

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|