where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Low frequency Transducers
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

VOGT Ultrasonics GmbH
non-destructive testing, services, training, ultrasonic systems, immersion and squirter inspection systems, PROline, digital radiology

07:34 Apr-01-2005

Arianna Macchi

Consultant
Italy,
Joined Apr 2005
Low frequency Transducers

Dear Colleagues

I'm planning to test very attenuative samples of plastic materials (both for flaw detection and thickness measurements), for which I should need very low frequency transducers (let's say in the range 100-250 KHz) of good performances to be used in pulse-echo mode because I have no access to both surfaces.

I would like to have some suggestions on what brand and model of transducers use. I saw some Krautkramer probe in their catalog but it seems that they only can be used in through-transmission mode

Best regards to all

Arianna Macchi

08:26 Apr-01-2005
Ed T.
Re: Low frequency Transducers ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Colleagues
: I'm planning to test very attenuative samples of plastic materials (both for flaw detection and thickness measurements), for which I should need very low frequency transducers (let's say in the range 100-250 KHz) of good performances to be used in pulse-echo mode because I have no access to both surfaces.
: I would like to have some suggestions on what brand and model of transducers use. I saw some Krautkramer probe in their catalog but it seems that they only can be used in through-transmission mode
: Best regards to all
: Arianna Macchi
------------ End Original Message ------------

What size and type of defects are you looking for?

00:19 Apr-01-2005

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Low frequency Transducers Panametrics-NDT can supply 100 KHz and 250 KHz broadband contact transducers for pulse/echo testing of highly attenuating plastics or similar materials. They're not in our standard catalog, but we can quote them on a custom basis. If you can provide us with samples of your material, we can recommend a specific test approach based on a sample evaluation.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you should consider the use of a square wave pulser in this sort of application. That's something we can also offer.

Tom Nelligan
Senior Applications Engineer
Panametrics-NDT, a busines of R/D Tech

09:34 Apr-02-2005

Arianna Macchi

Consultant
Italy,
Joined Apr 2005
: What size and type of defects are you looking for?

Cracks and voids not smaller than 4-5 mm

07:51 Apr-04-2005

Miroslav Omelic

NDT Inspector, EN 474 - RT3; UT3; MT3; PT2; VT2; ET1
Croatia,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Low frequency Transducers Dear Arianna,
I am affraid that with chosen frequencies you should not see defects sizes smaller than 4,6 mm if is velocity (in required plastic material) 2300 m/s and with nominal testing frequency 0,25 MHz.
You must take in your account that fact - depending wave length and testing frequency with velocity.

Best regards
Miroslav Omelic

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : What size and type of defects are you looking for?
: Cracks and voids not smaller than 4-5 mm

03:49 Apr-04-2005

Arianna Macchi

Consultant
Italy,
Joined Apr 2005
: Dear Arianna,
: I am affraid that with chosen frequencies you should not see defects sizes smaller than 4,6 mm if is velocity (in required plastic material) 2300 m/s and with nominal testing frequency 0,25 MHz.
: You must take in your account that fact - depending wave length and testing frequency with velocity.
: Best regards
: Miroslav Omelic

It would be enough for me....the only problem is to find the proper transducers to work in pulse-echo mode. It seems that if you are finding 250 or 100 KHz transducers you can only work in trasmission mode.

08:27 Apr-05-2005
Martin Schickert
: : Dear Arianna,
: : I am affraid that with chosen frequencies you should not see defects sizes smaller than 4,6 mm if is velocity (in required plastic material) 2300 m/s and with nominal testing frequency 0,25 MHz.
: : You must take in your account that fact - depending wave length and testing frequency with velocity.
: : Best regards
: : Miroslav Omelic
: It would be enough for me....the only problem is to find the proper transducers to work in pulse-echo mode. It seems that if you are finding 250 or 100 KHz transducers you can only work in trasmission mode.

There are some low-frequency transducers designed for pulse-echo testing of concrete which you probably could use. We employ special made Krautkrämer devices from the series G 0,2 R. They have higher nominal frequencies but are very broad-band. Another choice are Karl Deutsch S 40 HB 0,1-0,3. While these conventional transducers transmit pressure (longitudinal) waves, T 1802 transducers made by Acoustic Control Systems, Moscow, feature dry point contact and shear (transversal) wave excitation. All these devices have their own issues; you may contact me directly in case of questions.

07:40 Apr-06-2005

Simon Amallraja

Director
PET Aviation Systems P Ltd,
India,
Joined Jul 2003
: : : Dear Arianna,
: : : I am affraid that with chosen frequencies you should not see defects sizes smaller than 4,6 mm if is velocity (in required plastic material) 2300 m/s and with nominal testing frequency 0,25 MHz.
: : : You must take in your account that fact - depending wave length and testing frequency with velocity.
: : : Best regards
: : : Miroslav Omelic
: : It would be enough for me....the only problem is to find the proper transducers to work in pulse-echo mode. It seems that if you are finding 250 or 100 KHz transducers you can only work in trasmission mode.
: There are some low-frequency transducers designed for pulse-echo testing of concrete which you probably could use. We employ special made Krautkrämer devices from the series G 0,2 R. They have higher nominal frequencies but are very broad-band. Another choice are Karl Deutsch S 40 HB 0,1-0,3. While these conventional transducers transmit pressure (longitudinal) waves, T1802 transducers made by Acoustic Control Systems, Moscow, feature dry point contact and shear (transversal) wave excitation. All these devices have their own issues; you may contact me directly in case of questions.

You can also contact Mr. Robert Drawnaw of Valpeyfisher, who are making special UT Transducers for various applications. They also have Low Freq probes and Acoustic Microscopy probes.

www.vfultrasound.com

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|