where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Ishbel Macdonald
Consultant, Engineering Consultant - NDT
Subsea 7, Norway, Joined Nov 1998, 11

Ishbel Macdonald

Consultant, Engineering Consultant - NDT
Subsea 7,
Norway,
Joined Nov 1998
00:49 May-10-1999
Magnetic permeabilities

Hello therr

Does anyone out there have any idea where I can find values for the magnetic permeabilities of steels such as duplex and super duplex? I am looking into the possibility of carrying out MPI, and so would like to know how "magnetic" these materials are. I know that there are methods to carry out such evaluations, but unfortunately, I do not have access to the equipment.

Regards

Ishbel

Kåre Johansson
Kåre Johansson
04:23 May-10-1999
Re: Magnetic permeabilities
: Hello therr

: Does anyone out there have any idea where I can find values for the magnetic permeabilities of steels such as duplex and super duplex? I am looking into the possibility of carrying out MPI, and so would like to know how "magnetic" these materials are. I know that there are methods to carry out such evaluations, but unfortunately, I do not have access to the equipment.

: Regards

: Ishbel
We did some MPI of 2205 some years back with good result. We assumed a permeability of 60% of carbon steel and it worked reasonably well. This is not theoretically correct as
the permeability will depend on both the amount of ferrite and the chemical composition of the ferrite. Watch for false indications in the HAZ due to changes in ferrite content. If you want more exact values yu could look into the proceedings of some of the duplex conferences which have been held. Maastricht (1997), Glasgow (1994), Baune (1991).Steel producers like Sandvik and Creusot Loire should also be able to help.
Kåre

LK
NDT Inspector,
Norway, Joined May 2008, 104

LK

NDT Inspector,
Norway,
Joined May 2008
19:24 Jan-11-2012
In Reply to Kåre Johansson at 04:23 May-10-1999 .

Good afternoon.

Any changes within last 12 years ? :)
Anybody have more information about MPI of duplex bars?
One customer requested both PT and MT on them.
I have some doubts about efficiency of mag particle testing.

Looking forward for your comments.
LK

John H
NDT Inspector,
Norway, Joined Nov 2012, 1

John H

NDT Inspector,
Norway,
Joined Nov 2012
20:24 Nov-14-2012
In Reply to LK at 19:24 Jan-11-2012 .

I look forward to more information on this subject.

John
John
02:14 Nov-15-2012
In Reply to John H at 20:24 Nov-14-2012 .

All u can think of is a lift test of the material

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 825

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
01:30 Nov-22-2012
In Reply to Ishbel Macdonald at 00:49 May-10-1999 (Opening).

Ishbel,

You're not saying wht type of equipment you have or which MPI method you will be using (yoke or mag bench).

Regardless, what you have to remember is that your magnetic field should be strong enough to magnetise your part and show the indication you are seeking. ASTM E709 talks about two way to ensure your magnetic inspection will be succesful is to use a pie gauge and see the artificial defects in it or with a Gauss meter tha will indicate a field of 30 - 60 gauss in the part.

Jianjun Wu
Engineering, NDE
China, Joined Nov 2012, 20

Jianjun Wu

Engineering, NDE
China,
Joined Nov 2012
02:22 Nov-22-2012
In Reply to Michel Couture at 01:30 Nov-22-2012 .

Recently, I read a book regarding the permeaility of steel materials.

This book specifies the Magnetic characteristic curve of the material which will help us to determine the proper parameters in MT techinque selection. But this book is written in Chinese. However, the symbols and curves could be easily understood. If any one want this book, please leave your mail. Br, Hc are indicated in the curve.

Jianjun Wu
Engineering, NDE
China, Joined Nov 2012, 20

Jianjun Wu

Engineering, NDE
China,
Joined Nov 2012
02:29 Nov-22-2012
In Reply to Ishbel Macdonald at 00:49 May-10-1999 (Opening).

zoom image
According to the Curve, if Br>0.8T, Hc>1000A/m or (H*B)max>0.4kJ/m3, residual method would be better for this material; otherwise, continuous method will be applied.

Hope this will do some help to you.

Product Spotlight

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window