where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Ishbel Macdonald
Consultant, Engineering Consultant - NDT
Subsea 7, Norway, Joined Nov 1998, 11

Ishbel Macdonald

Consultant, Engineering Consultant - NDT
Subsea 7,
Norway,
Joined Nov 1998
00:49 May-10-1999
Magnetic permeabilities

Hello therr

Does anyone out there have any idea where I can find values for the magnetic permeabilities of steels such as duplex and super duplex? I am looking into the possibility of carrying out MPI, and so would like to know how "magnetic" these materials are. I know that there are methods to carry out such evaluations, but unfortunately, I do not have access to the equipment.

Regards

Ishbel

Kåre Johansson
Kåre Johansson
04:23 May-10-1999
Re: Magnetic permeabilities
: Hello therr

: Does anyone out there have any idea where I can find values for the magnetic permeabilities of steels such as duplex and super duplex? I am looking into the possibility of carrying out MPI, and so would like to know how "magnetic" these materials are. I know that there are methods to carry out such evaluations, but unfortunately, I do not have access to the equipment.

: Regards

: Ishbel
We did some MPI of 2205 some years back with good result. We assumed a permeability of 60% of carbon steel and it worked reasonably well. This is not theoretically correct as
the permeability will depend on both the amount of ferrite and the chemical composition of the ferrite. Watch for false indications in the HAZ due to changes in ferrite content. If you want more exact values yu could look into the proceedings of some of the duplex conferences which have been held. Maastricht (1997), Glasgow (1994), Baune (1991).Steel producers like Sandvik and Creusot Loire should also be able to help.
Kåre

LK
NDT Inspector,
Norway, Joined May 2008, 104

LK

NDT Inspector,
Norway,
Joined May 2008
19:24 Jan-11-2012
In Reply to Kåre Johansson at 04:23 May-10-1999 .

Good afternoon.

Any changes within last 12 years ? :)
Anybody have more information about MPI of duplex bars?
One customer requested both PT and MT on them.
I have some doubts about efficiency of mag particle testing.

Looking forward for your comments.
LK

John H
NDT Inspector,
Norway, Joined Nov 2012, 1

John H

NDT Inspector,
Norway,
Joined Nov 2012
20:24 Nov-14-2012
In Reply to LK at 19:24 Jan-11-2012 .

I look forward to more information on this subject.

John
John
02:14 Nov-15-2012
In Reply to John H at 20:24 Nov-14-2012 .

All u can think of is a lift test of the material

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 897

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
01:30 Nov-22-2012
In Reply to Ishbel Macdonald at 00:49 May-10-1999 (Opening).

Ishbel,

You're not saying wht type of equipment you have or which MPI method you will be using (yoke or mag bench).

Regardless, what you have to remember is that your magnetic field should be strong enough to magnetise your part and show the indication you are seeking. ASTM E709 talks about two way to ensure your magnetic inspection will be succesful is to use a pie gauge and see the artificial defects in it or with a Gauss meter tha will indicate a field of 30 - 60 gauss in the part.

Jianjun Wu
Engineering,
China, Joined Nov 2012, 20

Jianjun Wu

Engineering,
China,
Joined Nov 2012
02:22 Nov-22-2012
In Reply to Michel Couture at 01:30 Nov-22-2012 .

Recently, I read a book regarding the permeaility of steel materials.

This book specifies the Magnetic characteristic curve of the material which will help us to determine the proper parameters in MT techinque selection. But this book is written in Chinese. However, the symbols and curves could be easily understood. If any one want this book, please leave your mail. Br, Hc are indicated in the curve.

Jianjun Wu
Engineering,
China, Joined Nov 2012, 20

Jianjun Wu

Engineering,
China,
Joined Nov 2012
02:29 Nov-22-2012
In Reply to Ishbel Macdonald at 00:49 May-10-1999 (Opening).

zoom image

According to the Curve, if Br>0.8T, Hc>1000A/m or (H*B)max>0.4kJ/m3, residual method would be better for this material; otherwise, continuous method will be applied.

Hope this will do some help to you.

Product Spotlight

Scatter Correction for Industrial Cone-Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT)

Download our white paper on Scatter Correction for Industrial Cone-Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT)
Using 3D VSHARP, a fast GPU-Based Linear Boltzmann Transport Equation Solver here: http://bit.ly/2Y0t78P
>

Extended Range Variable Wall® Piping Calibration Blocks for Longseam Inspection

This set of two blocks has been specially designed for situations where ultrasonic examination tak
es place circumferentially or “around the curve” for applications such as inspection of longseam welds in piping and vessels. Jointly designed by PH Tool and Holloway NDT, the blocks feature side-drilled hole reflectors positioned within novel compound-curves, each with multiple thickness steps. The unique design results in a light and compact form factor, with the largest block weighing just over 15 lbs and spanning just 16 ¾”. Coverage is provided for nominal pipe sizes from 6” to 10” in the small block and 12” to a whopping 56” in the large block. The compound OD curves and multiple wall thicknesses actually exceed ASME requirements, providing exceptional signal response and measurement accuracy. Properly managing beam divergence off the ID and stabilizing beam skew due to probe rocking is essential to maintaining a consistent calibration when inspecting lengthwise on curved surfaces.
>

Portable Ground Penetrating Radar - Proceq GP8000

The Proceq GP8000 portable ground penetrating radar instrument is the beginning of a new era in ND
T. The outstanding, patented ultra- wideband technology combined with a compact wireless probe delivers unmatched industry performance. Proceq GP8000 is the world’s first large-scale inspection solution that utilizes Augmented Reality in industrial applications.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window