where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
David Harvey
Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang, USA, Joined Nov 2002, 42

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
06:18 Apr-06-2005
Side lobes

I am looking for a good, rather basic (read: clear) discussion of the effect of the sound beam side lobes on performance of both contact and immersion tests. Is anyone aware of literature that addresses the subject, or that has wisdom to share?

Please respond to the message board, and not to my email address, since my company's spam filtering often filters messages from unfamiliar addresses.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1235

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
05:51 Apr-07-2005
Re: Side lobes
David:
As for an easy read I suggest the new book by RD Tech on Introduction to Phased Array ULtrasonic Technology. There are a few related topics. But it makes little difference if the lobe is a grating lobe from a phased array probe or it is a lobe from a poorly backed single element unit or even a result of working in the near zone, the result is all about the same, i.e. an increase in pressure off-axis from the main beam (where you were expecting a continuous drop).

In line focused immersion probes we often see "horns" on either end of the beam when doing a plot of amplitude versus displacement across a calibration target like a small stainless steel ball.

When vertically sizing using the dB drop method we might see the effect in the vertical plane as a series of peaks as we move forward and back in a weld inspection. A small point reflector might be mistaken to be a multi-faceted flaw as a result.

It is all nicely covered in the book I referenced with images for illustration.
Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for a good, rather basic (read: clear) discussion of the effect of the sound beam side lobes on performance of both contact and immersion tests. Is anyone aware of literature that addresses the subject, or that has wisdom to share?
: Please respond to the message board, and not to my email address, since my company's spam filtering often filters messages from unfamiliar addresses.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window