where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Standards for Testing Ultrasonic Transducers
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:40 May-11-1999
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Heinz
Standards for Testing Ultrasonic Transducers

Up to now we used our own testing methods. Because thus the values are not good comparable I`m searching
for standarized testing methods for our ultrasonic transducers.
Who know standards (e. g. ASTM, which number?), which describes testing methods for the specification of
ultrasonic transducers? I`m searching for standardized methods for the determination of:
- Sensitivity (e. g. P/E-measurement, which reflector distance?, what driving signal (burst with how many cycles or pulse...)
- Pulse width (How must the driving pulse be specified for a standard measurement?)
- Bandwidth (Is in the standard method a pulse measurement with Fourier transformation used, or is a sweeped CW signal used?)

01:15 May-11-1999

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Standards for Testing Ultrasonic Transducers
: Up to now we used our own testing methods. Because thus the values are not good comparable I`m searching
: for standarized testing methods for our ultrasonic transducers.
: Who know standards (e. g. ASTM, which number?), which describes testing methods for the specification of
: ultrasonic transducers? I`m searching for standardized methods for the determination of:
: - Sensitivity (e. g. P/E-measurement, which reflector distance?, what driving signal (burst with how many cycles or pulse...)
: - Pulse width (How must the driving pulse be specified for a standard measurement?)
: - Bandwidth (Is in the standard method a pulse measurement with Fourier transformation used, or is a sweeped CW signal used?)

You should obtain a copy of ASTM E 1065-96, "Standard Guide for Evaluating Characteristics of Ultrasonic Search Units". It is fairly detailed, and seems to be generally recognized as a good standard for NDT transducer qualification.

--Tom Nelligan
Senior Applications Engineer

01:47 May-11-1999

Rolf D.

Director, Editor, Publisher, Internet, PHP MySQL
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Standards for Testing Ultrasonic Transducers al Committee
CEN/TC 138 "Non-destructive testing" of which the secretariat is held by AFNOR.

This document is currently submitted to the formal vote.

This standard consists of the following parts:
EN 12668-1, Non-destructive testing and verification of ultrasonic
examination equipment - Part 1: Instruments
EN 12668-2, Non-destructive testing - Characterization and
verification of ultrasonic examination equipment - Part 2: Probes
EN 12668-3, Non-destructive testing - Characterization and
verification of ultrasonic examination equipment - Part 3: Combined
equipment

Rolf Diederichs

06:29 May-16-1999

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Standards for Testing Ultrasonic Transducers In addition to the references by Tom & Rolf DIN 25 450
is a good and comprehensive Code.
Also see:
AFNOR A09-323
JIS Z 2352
ESI-98-9
BS 4331

Ed

: Up to now we used our own testing methods. Because thus the values are not good comparable I`m searching
: for standarized testing methods for our ultrasonic transducers.
: Who know standards (e. g. ASTM, which number?), which describes testing methods for the specification of
: ultrasonic transducers? I`m searching for standardized methods for the determination of:
: - Sensitivity (e. g. P/E-measurement, which reflector distance?, what driving signal (burst with how many cycles or pulse...)
: - Pulse width (How must the driving pulse be specified for a standard measurement?)
: - Bandwidth (Is in the standard method a pulse measurement with Fourier transformation used, or is a sweeped CW signal used?)

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|