where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ASTM E 1742-00
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Volume Graphics GmbH
Leading industrial companies around the world look for defects in their products using Volume Graphics software.

01:18 May-25-2005
Mathias
ASTM E 1742-00

Can anyone explain why the curve in Figure 2 (Maximum Allowable Film Density) isn’t continous? There is a jump between density 2.5 and 3.0 – why?

04:25 May-31-2005
DJ Kallhof
Re: ASTM E 1742-00 I believe they are attempting to illustrate the difference between the larger "low range " viewer and the smaller "high intensity" viewer. This is just a way to document and justify the maximum readable film density posted on each viewer. What I find interesting is the fact we can no longer measure the light intensity in foot candles. According to ASTM E 1742-05 we must now measure luminance in candelas/m squared. Again, the cost of NDT goes up. Yee Ha
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can anyone explain why the curve in Figure 2 (Maximum Allowable Film Density) isn’t continous? There is a jump between density 2.5 and 3.0 – why?
:
------------ End Original Message ------------

05:17 Jun-01-2005
Mathias
Re: ASTM E 1742-00 Thank you for the answer Mr Kallhof. But what still makes me confused is the fact that if you now measure 10000 lux at the viewing port, can you post a 3.0 sticker on the viewer or is the maximum readable density just 2.5?
: I believe they are attempting to illustrate the difference between the larger "low range " viewer and the smaller "high intensity" viewer. This is just a way to document and justify the maximum readable film density posted on each viewer. What I find interesting is the fact we can no longer measure the light intensity in foot candles. According to ASTM E 1742-05 we must now measure luminance in candelas/m squared. Again, the cost of NDT goes up. Yee Ha
: : Can anyone explain why the curve in Figure 2 (Maximum Allowable Film Density) isn’t continous? There is a jump between density 2.5 and 3.0 – why?
: :

09:27 Jun-03-2005
DJ Kallhof
Re: ASTM E 1742-00 Unfortunately I'm in the dark over this revision as much as yourself. I am waiting for a response from ASTM subcommittee E07.01 to my inquiry regarding the posting of "Maximum Allowable Film Density" and how to come up with a value.

: Thank you for the answer Mr Kallhof. But what still makes me confused is the fact that if you now measure 10000 lux at the viewing port, can you post a 3.0 sticker on the viewer or is the maximum readable density just 2.5?
: : I believe they are attempting to illustrate the difference between the larger "low range " viewer and the smaller "high intensity" viewer. This is just a way to document and justify the maximum readable film density posted on each viewer. What I find interesting is the fact we can no longer measure the light intensity in foot candles. According to ASTM E 1742-05 we must now measure luminance in candelas/m squared. Again, the cost of NDT goes up. Yee Ha
: : : Can anyone explain why the curve in Figure 2 (Maximum Allowable Film Density) isn’t continous? There is a jump between density 2.5 and 3.0 – why?
: : :

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|