where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Vallen-Systeme GmbH
The Acoustic Emission Company! Since 1987 Vallen stands for competence and continuity in AE and for reliable business cooperation and support.

Technical Discussions
Mathias
Mathias
01:18 May-25-2005
ASTM E 1742-00

Can anyone explain why the curve in Figure 2 (Maximum Allowable Film Density) isn’t continous? There is a jump between density 2.5 and 3.0 – why?

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
04:25 May-31-2005
Re: ASTM E 1742-00
I believe they are attempting to illustrate the difference between the larger "low range " viewer and the smaller "high intensity" viewer. This is just a way to document and justify the maximum readable film density posted on each viewer. What I find interesting is the fact we can no longer measure the light intensity in foot candles. According to ASTM E 1742-05 we must now measure luminance in candelas/m squared. Again, the cost of NDT goes up. Yee Ha
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can anyone explain why the curve in Figure 2 (Maximum Allowable Film Density) isn’t continous? There is a jump between density 2.5 and 3.0 – why?
:
------------ End Original Message ------------

Mathias
Mathias
05:17 Jun-01-2005
Thank you for the answer Mr Kallhof. But what still makes me confused is the fact that if you now measure 10000 lux at the viewing port, can you post a 3.0 sticker on the viewer or is the maximum readable density just 2.5?
: I believe they are attempting to illustrate the difference between the larger "low range " viewer and the smaller "high intensity" viewer. This is just a way to document and justify the maximum readable film density posted on each viewer. What I find interesting is the fact we can no longer measure the light intensity in foot candles. According to ASTM E 1742-05 we must now measure luminance in candelas/m squared. Again, the cost of NDT goes up. Yee Ha
: : Can anyone explain why the curve in Figure 2 (Maximum Allowable Film Density) isn’t continous? There is a jump between density 2.5 and 3.0 – why?
: :

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
09:27 Jun-03-2005
Unfortunately I'm in the dark over this revision as much as yourself. I am waiting for a response from ASTM subcommittee E07.01 to my inquiry regarding the posting of "Maximum Allowable Film Density" and how to come up with a value.

: Thank you for the answer Mr Kallhof. But what still makes me confused is the fact that if you now measure 10000 lux at the viewing port, can you post a 3.0 sticker on the viewer or is the maximum readable density just 2.5?
: : I believe they are attempting to illustrate the difference between the larger "low range " viewer and the smaller "high intensity" viewer. This is just a way to document and justify the maximum readable film density posted on each viewer. What I find interesting is the fact we can no longer measure the light intensity in foot candles. According to ASTM E 1742-05 we must now measure luminance in candelas/m squared. Again, the cost of NDT goes up. Yee Ha
: : : Can anyone explain why the curve in Figure 2 (Maximum Allowable Film Density) isn’t continous? There is a jump between density 2.5 and 3.0 – why?
: : :

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window