where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ultrasonic set up
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.

09:31 May-31-2005
S. Kazemi
ultrasonic set up

Dear friends
I plan to prepare a ultrasonic set up for laboratory testing of Wood based materials.So I need a shematic diagram of the set up with detail.thanks for your attention in advance.

01:48 Jun-01-2005

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: ultrasonic set up ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear friends
: I plan to prepare a ultrasonic set up for laboratory testing of Wood based materials.So I need a shematic diagram of the set up with detail.thanks for your attention in advance.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Dear Kazemi,
Before you prepare your ultrasonic setup have you determined what you are trying to detect in the wood based materials? Sound velocity changes, voids or imperfections, delamination of bonding, rotting or decay.
What mode of sound propagation will you be using?
What type of samples will you be testing?
At a later date will this setup be transferred into the industry for field use?

Incidently once you have clarified these points you will be halfway to planning your own ultrasonic set up.

Regards

Neil Burleigh

02:55 Jun-01-2005
Manfred R Richter
Re: ultrasonic set up Dear Kazemi,
you may have same info in the address http://www.ipef.br/publicacoes/scientia/nr63/cap20.pdf, and also with the following University people that have some experience with:
fabiana@sc.usp.br and mcarreir@sc.usp.br.
Hope this help.
Regards,
Manfred

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I plan to prepare a ultrasonic set up for laboratory testing of Wood based materials.So I need a shematic diagram of the set up with detail.thanks for your attention in advance.

03:17 Jun-01-2005
Jim Knowles
Re: ultrasonic set up Dear Kazemi
In order to plan your ultrasonic evaluation equipment, surely you need to know what the wood density, water content, surface feature and the equipment and method or technique you intend to use. Evaluate your needs, what is required of the test and the type and presentation of the data before the schematic.

: : Dear friends
: : I plan to prepare a ultrasonic set up for laboratory testing of Wood based materials.So I need a shematic diagram of the set up with detail.thanks for your attention in advance.
:
: Dear Kazemi,
: Before you prepare your ultrasonic setup have you determined what you are trying to detect in the wood based materials? Sound velocity changes, voids or imperfections, delamination of bonding, rotting or decay.
: What mode of sound propagation will you be using?
: What type of samples will you be testing?
: At a later date will this setup be transferred into the industry for field use?
: Incidently once you have clarified these points you will be halfway to planning your own ultrasonic set up.
: Regards
: Neil Burleigh

00:51 Jun-03-2005
Johan
Re: ultrasonic set up Dear Kazemi
It's difficult to give you a straight answer, which the other writers allready mentioned.

The frequencies used are normally from 1 MHz for thin samples and down to 50 kHz for very thick samples.
The most common set-up is to use pulsed transmission method due the high attenuation (could be 400dB/m). The frequency choice is also depending in which direction your sending you sound, wood has different velocity and attenuation in different direction.
If it's the material properties you are interested in you need transducers for both longitudinal and shear waves.
Then inspection wood the normally is to measure the transit time.
A conventional UT equipment for steel could work down to around 0.25-1.0 MHz depending on freq.filter, but output voltage is low 200-300V.
Equipment suited for concrete is more useful, 24-1000 kHz, output voltage is 250-1200V.
You need
a pulser, to generate the sound wave
a timer, to measure the transit time
pulser and timer is usually one part.
two transducers, a pair, for each frequency
You may need an oscilloscope if you would like to study the puls shape and amplitude.

Best Regards
Johan
----------- Start Original Message -----------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|