where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

TWI
TWI is a global leader in technology engineering providing research and consultancy to its members in the field of materials and selection, joining, inspection, NDT and structural integrity management.

Technical Discussions
S. Kazemi
S. Kazemi
09:31 May-31-2005
ultrasonic set up

Dear friends
I plan to prepare a ultrasonic set up for laboratory testing of Wood based materials.So I need a shematic diagram of the set up with detail.thanks for your attention in advance.

Neil Burleigh
Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Dec 2002, 152

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
01:48 Jun-01-2005
Re: ultrasonic set up
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear friends
: I plan to prepare a ultrasonic set up for laboratory testing of Wood based materials.So I need a shematic diagram of the set up with detail.thanks for your attention in advance.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Dear Kazemi,
Before you prepare your ultrasonic setup have you determined what you are trying to detect in the wood based materials? Sound velocity changes, voids or imperfections, delamination of bonding, rotting or decay.
What mode of sound propagation will you be using?
What type of samples will you be testing?
At a later date will this setup be transferred into the industry for field use?

Incidently once you have clarified these points you will be halfway to planning your own ultrasonic set up.

Regards

Neil Burleigh

Manfred R Richter
Manfred R Richter
02:55 Jun-01-2005
Dear Kazemi,
you may have same info in the address http://www.ipef.br/publicacoes/scientia/nr63/cap20.pdf, and also with the following University people that have some experience with:
fabiana@sc.usp.br and mcarreir@sc.usp.br.
Hope this help.
Regards,
Manfred

: I plan to prepare a ultrasonic set up for laboratory testing of Wood based materials.So I need a shematic diagram of the set up with detail.thanks for your attention in advance.

Jim Knowles
Jim Knowles
03:17 Jun-01-2005
Dear Kazemi
In order to plan your ultrasonic evaluation equipment, surely you need to know what the wood density, water content, surface feature and the equipment and method or technique you intend to use. Evaluate your needs, what is required of the test and the type and presentation of the data before the schematic.

: : Dear friends
: : I plan to prepare a ultrasonic set up for laboratory testing of Wood based materials.So I need a shematic diagram of the set up with detail.thanks for your attention in advance.
:
: Dear Kazemi,
: Before you prepare your ultrasonic setup have you determined what you are trying to detect in the wood based materials? Sound velocity changes, voids or imperfections, delamination of bonding, rotting or decay.
: What mode of sound propagation will you be using?
: What type of samples will you be testing?
: At a later date will this setup be transferred into the industry for field use?
: Incidently once you have clarified these points you will be halfway to planning your own ultrasonic set up.
: Regards
: Neil Burleigh

Johan
Johan
00:51 Jun-03-2005
Dear Kazemi
It's difficult to give you a straight answer, which the other writers allready mentioned.

The frequencies used are normally from 1 MHz for thin samples and down to 50 kHz for very thick samples.
The most common set-up is to use pulsed transmission method due the high attenuation (could be 400dB/m). The frequency choice is also depending in which direction your sending you sound, wood has different velocity and attenuation in different direction.
If it's the material properties you are interested in you need transducers for both longitudinal and shear waves.
Then inspection wood the normally is to measure the transit time.
A conventional UT equipment for steel could work down to around 0.25-1.0 MHz depending on freq.filter, but output voltage is low 200-300V.
Equipment suited for concrete is more useful, 24-1000 kHz, output voltage is 250-1200V.
You need
a pulser, to generate the sound wave
a timer, to measure the transit time
pulser and timer is usually one part.
two transducers, a pair, for each frequency
You may need an oscilloscope if you would like to study the puls shape and amplitude.

Best Regards
Johan

Product Spotlight

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Research and Applications Development For NDT

The Research and Applications Development (RAD) group is a newly formed team within Acuren dedicat
ed to tackling challenging inspection problems. Our focus is the development of novel, field deployable, advanced inspection techniques for use in cases where standard NDT methods are ineffective. We don't wait for new innovations, we engineer them. From concept to commissioning.
>

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection res
ults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window