where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Thickness measurement of layers of similar material
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Tecnatom
Tecnatom has more than 50 years of experience providing services, equipment and systems devoted to NDT testing in several sectors and markets.

09:45 May-17-1999
David Harvey
Thickness measurement of layers of similar material

I have been handed the challenge of measuring the thickness of a layer of pure zirconium on a zircaloy-2 base material. The pure zirconium layer is approximately 0.008" thick, and resides on the inside surface of a tube of Zr-2. We accomplish this via UT for thicker layers (0.045" to .15"), but such a thin layer seems to be a bit more than our current instrumentation can handle. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how we might be able to incorporate this into a production-type test (a given lot may consist of hundreds of 10' tubes).

03:01 May-18-1999

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Thickness measurement of layers of similar material
: I have been handed the challenge of measuring the thickness of a layer of pure zirconium on a zircaloy-2 base material. The pure zirconium layer is approximately 0.008" thick, and resides on the inside surface of a tube of Zr-2. We accomplish this via UT for thicker layers (0.045" to .15"), but such a thin layer seems to be a bit more than our current instrumentation can handle. I would appreciate any suggestions as to how we might be able to incorporate this into a production-type test (a given lot may consist of hundreds of 10' tubes).

It should be possible to resolve that thin inside layer by going to a sufficiently high frequency broadband transducer (at least 30MHz, preferably 50 MHz) with an appropriate pulser/receiver. Depending on what equipment you're currently using and what its bandwidth and time resolution capabilities are, this may mean purchasing a new pulser and high frequency digitizer in addition to the transducer.

--Tom Nelligan

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|