where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Adeel
Student
KAIST, South Korea, Joined Jun 2005, 4

Adeel

Student
KAIST,
South Korea,
Joined Jun 2005
05:53 Jun-09-2005
Lamb Waves

Hi Everybody
I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
Thanx and Regards

Ed T.
Ed T.
09:10 Jun-10-2005
Re: Lamb Waves
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi Everybody
: I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
: Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
: Thanx and Regards
------------ End Original Message ------------

Lamb wave or plate wave propagation is normally generated between two parallel surfaces of a test object. For an object to sufficiently support Lamb Waves or plate waves, it must be thin enough to allow penetration of a surface wave to the opposite surface.
I don't believe Lamb waves would be able to exist in concrete. The OD and ID surfaces must be parrallel and the material must be extremely thin to generate Lamb Waves. You may want to look at low frequency longitudinal waves.

Adeel
Student
KAIST, South Korea, Joined Jun 2005, 4

Adeel

Student
KAIST,
South Korea,
Joined Jun 2005
01:26 Jun-11-2005
Re: Lamb Waves
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi Everybody
: : I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
: : Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
: : Thanx and Regards
: Lamb wave or plate wave propagation is normally generated between two parallel surfaces of a test object. For an object to sufficiently support Lamb Waves or plate waves, it must be thin enough to allow penetration of a surface wave to the opposite surface.
: I don't believe Lamb waves would be able to exist in concrete. The OD and ID surfaces must be parrallel and the material must be extremely thin to generate Lamb Waves. You may want to look at low frequency longitudinal waves.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi ED T
Thanx for ur reply. The reason i asked you that whether Lamb Waves can be used for damage detection in concrete is that i read one paper in which this Lamb wave was used to detect damage in Concrete structure. The specimen used had cross section of 300 X 200mm and was 300mm thick. Do you think with such dimensions Lamb Wave can be generated and damage can be detected.
If u want i can send you that paper as well.
Thanx

Product Spotlight

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window