where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Lamb Waves
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TD NDE
TD NDE. Automated Custom Ultrasonic Robotic and software solutions. Effective, Simple and Flexible solutions to meet your UT needs.

05:53 Jun-09-2005

Adeel

Student
KAIST,
South Korea,
Joined Jun 2005
Lamb Waves

Hi Everybody
I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
Thanx and Regards

09:10 Jun-10-2005
Ed T.
Re: Lamb Waves ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi Everybody
: I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
: Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
: Thanx and Regards
------------ End Original Message ------------

Lamb wave or plate wave propagation is normally generated between two parallel surfaces of a test object. For an object to sufficiently support Lamb Waves or plate waves, it must be thin enough to allow penetration of a surface wave to the opposite surface.
I don't believe Lamb waves would be able to exist in concrete. The OD and ID surfaces must be parrallel and the material must be extremely thin to generate Lamb Waves. You may want to look at low frequency longitudinal waves.

01:26 Jun-11-2005

Adeel

Student
KAIST,
South Korea,
Joined Jun 2005
Re: Lamb Waves ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi Everybody
: : I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
: : Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
: : Thanx and Regards
: Lamb wave or plate wave propagation is normally generated between two parallel surfaces of a test object. For an object to sufficiently support Lamb Waves or plate waves, it must be thin enough to allow penetration of a surface wave to the opposite surface.
: I don't believe Lamb waves would be able to exist in concrete. The OD and ID surfaces must be parrallel and the material must be extremely thin to generate Lamb Waves. You may want to look at low frequency longitudinal waves.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi ED T
Thanx for ur reply. The reason i asked you that whether Lamb Waves can be used for damage detection in concrete is that i read one paper in which this Lamb wave was used to detect damage in Concrete structure. The specimen used had cross section of 300 X 200mm and was 300mm thick. Do you think with such dimensions Lamb Wave can be generated and damage can be detected.
If u want i can send you that paper as well.
Thanx

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|