where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Adeel
Student
KAIST, South Korea, Joined Jun 2005, 4

Adeel

Student
KAIST,
South Korea,
Joined Jun 2005
05:53 Jun-09-2005
Lamb Waves

Hi Everybody
I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
Thanx and Regards

Ed T.
Ed T.
09:10 Jun-10-2005
Re: Lamb Waves
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi Everybody
: I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
: Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
: Thanx and Regards
------------ End Original Message ------------

Lamb wave or plate wave propagation is normally generated between two parallel surfaces of a test object. For an object to sufficiently support Lamb Waves or plate waves, it must be thin enough to allow penetration of a surface wave to the opposite surface.
I don't believe Lamb waves would be able to exist in concrete. The OD and ID surfaces must be parrallel and the material must be extremely thin to generate Lamb Waves. You may want to look at low frequency longitudinal waves.

Adeel
Student
KAIST, South Korea, Joined Jun 2005, 4

Adeel

Student
KAIST,
South Korea,
Joined Jun 2005
01:26 Jun-11-2005
Re: Lamb Waves
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi Everybody
: : I want to perform experiment for the "Damage detection in concrete structures using Lamb Waves". So any body can tell me that Are Lamb waves can be used to detect damages in thick materials cos i have read that they are mainly used for thin plates.
: : Also what experimental setup i need to build to perform my experiment on it.
: : Thanx and Regards
: Lamb wave or plate wave propagation is normally generated between two parallel surfaces of a test object. For an object to sufficiently support Lamb Waves or plate waves, it must be thin enough to allow penetration of a surface wave to the opposite surface.
: I don't believe Lamb waves would be able to exist in concrete. The OD and ID surfaces must be parrallel and the material must be extremely thin to generate Lamb Waves. You may want to look at low frequency longitudinal waves.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi ED T
Thanx for ur reply. The reason i asked you that whether Lamb Waves can be used for damage detection in concrete is that i read one paper in which this Lamb wave was used to detect damage in Concrete structure. The specimen used had cross section of 300 X 200mm and was 300mm thick. Do you think with such dimensions Lamb Wave can be generated and damage can be detected.
If u want i can send you that paper as well.
Thanx

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high perf
ormance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

X-ray CT aids research into defect formation in AM parts

X-ray CT is used to research how additive manufacturing process parameters influence defect format
ion in AM parts.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Mentor UT – Ultrasonic Phased Array Flaw Detector

With Mentor UT, you get an accessible and efficient inspection experience. Create user-defined menus
and workflows (“apps”) with GE’s desktop software Mentor Create to ensure consistency, even for the most complex inspections, every time. Mentor UT is the first UT device to easily allow wireless connectivity and live streaming, so you get second opinions when you need them most—in real-time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s