where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
CHARLIE TOH
Consultant, NDT LEVEL 3
Singapore, Joined Mar 2005, 3

CHARLIE TOH

Consultant, NDT LEVEL 3
Singapore,
Joined Mar 2005
02:07 Jun-10-2005
ASTM E1742-05

With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

Mathias
Mathias
08:43 Jun-13-2005
Re: ASTM E1742-05
I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?
------------ End Original Message ------------

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
07:40 Jun-22-2005
Light meters currently available register up to 19,990 lux. That level will only qualify the film viewer to interprate 3.30 density film, according to ASTM E 1742-05 Fig. 2. If I am incorrect thinking this please respond.

: I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
: : With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: : Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

Mathias
Mathias
00:55 Jun-27-2005
Yes, seems correct. But I hope you don´t mean currently availabe on the market?!

: Light meters currently available register up to 19,990 lux. That level will only qualify the film viewer to interprate 3.30 density film, according to ASTM E 1742-05 Fig. 2. If I am incorrect thinking this please respond.
: : I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
: : : With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: : : Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

Product Spotlight

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window