where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ASTM E1742-05
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

I&T Nardoni Institute
A state-of-the-art company servicing the metal, mechanical, aeronautical and railway industrial sectors

02:07 Jun-10-2005

CHARLIE TOH

Consultant, NDT LEVEL 3
Singapore,
Joined Mar 2005
ASTM E1742-05

With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

08:43 Jun-13-2005
Mathias
Re: ASTM E1742-05 I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:40 Jun-22-2005
DJ Kallhof
Re: ASTM E1742-05 Light meters currently available register up to 19,990 lux. That level will only qualify the film viewer to interprate 3.30 density film, according to ASTM E 1742-05 Fig. 2. If I am incorrect thinking this please respond.

: I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
: : With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: : Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

00:55 Jun-27-2005
Mathias
Re: ASTM E1742-05 Yes, seems correct. But I hope you don´t mean currently availabe on the market?!

: Light meters currently available register up to 19,990 lux. That level will only qualify the film viewer to interprate 3.30 density film, according to ASTM E 1742-05 Fig. 2. If I am incorrect thinking this please respond.
: : I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
: : : With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: : : Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|