where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
CHARLIE TOH
Consultant, NDT LEVEL 3
Singapore, Joined Mar 2005, 3

CHARLIE TOH

Consultant, NDT LEVEL 3
Singapore,
Joined Mar 2005
02:07 Jun-10-2005
ASTM E1742-05

With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

Mathias
Mathias
08:43 Jun-13-2005
Re: ASTM E1742-05
I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?
------------ End Original Message ------------

DJ Kallhof
DJ Kallhof
07:40 Jun-22-2005
Light meters currently available register up to 19,990 lux. That level will only qualify the film viewer to interprate 3.30 density film, according to ASTM E 1742-05 Fig. 2. If I am incorrect thinking this please respond.

: I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
: : With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: : Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

Mathias
Mathias
00:55 Jun-27-2005
Yes, seems correct. But I hope you don´t mean currently availabe on the market?!

: Light meters currently available register up to 19,990 lux. That level will only qualify the film viewer to interprate 3.30 density film, according to ASTM E 1742-05 Fig. 2. If I am incorrect thinking this please respond.
: : I believe you have to purchase a new lightmeter. The new requirement applies to the excisting viewers whenever the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used. This is my interpretation.
: : : With reference to Para 6.27.4.4, it states that the "maximum readable film density values shall be established when the viewer is procured and shall be re-establish when the viewer is repaired, moved, altered, or a different bulb, bulb designation or manufacturer is used".
: : : Most of us are using our existing film viewers, in which the maximum film density values are checked using a light meter to measure transmitted light, in foot candles, through a 2.0D film, in accordance with ASTM E1742-00. If we do not intend to procure a new viewer, do we still have to purchase a new lightmeter to measure the light intensity in candelas/m squared, according to ASTM E1742-05? Am I right to say that it only applies to newly procured viewers?

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Flaw Detector & Thickness Gauge: Smartor

SIUI’s newly launched Smartor is a combination of ultrasonic testing and ultrasonic thickness me
asurement. ●IP 66 ●Compact size: 198 (W)* 128 (H) *520 (D) mm ●0.9kg only with battery ●5.7" LCD with high resolution 640×480 pixels ●One-hand operation ●Multiple conventional UT functions ●Smart Test Wizard ●Weld Simulation
>

Webinar: FMC & Advanced Focusing Techniques for Improved Ultrasonic Inspections

Phased array ultrasound is now a commonly accepted inspection technology. Now there is excitement ar
ound new techniques in Phased Array: Full Matrix Capture (FMC) & Total Focusing Method (TFM). Our webinar on December 5 & 6 will illustrate how these techniques, implemented on a TOPAZ64 instrument, can improve the results of existing inspections. Register today.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s