where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Is Vibration Analysis the same as Acoustic Emission?
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:14 Jun-15-2005

Ron Olson

R & D, Aerospace
The Best Aviation Company In The World,
USA,
Joined Feb 2005
Is Vibration Analysis the same as Acoustic Emission?

Any one with experience with one or the other? Both? Are they the same? I've worked with AE at school and aircraft industry but not VA. Thank you.

02:04 Jun-15-2005
Robert Paynter
Re: Is Vibration Analysis the same as Acoustic Emission? ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Any one with experience with one or the other? Both? Are they the same? I've worked with AE at school and aircraft industry but not VA. Thank you.
------------ End Original Message ------------

No:
Acoustic Emission is trying to detect the very
transient noise as material within components snaps,
then usuing the timing of the transients to determine
location of the break - easy in simple geometry
isotropic material, hard otherwise.

Vibration Analysis is measuring the long term response
to mechanical excitation. The excitation may be
very contrived, eg sinusoids applied by a "shaker", or
be the "ambient" excitation, like traffic on a bridge.
Characterisation usually requires substantial modelling
of the structure, then the condition monitoring relies
on tracking a history of model parameters, eg
stiffnesses of specific components.

I've worked, as a researcher, with both, assessing their
suitability for laboratory or field use with wind
turbine blades - they both have different "qualities".

02:53 Jun-15-2005

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Is Vibration Analysis the same as Acoustic Emission? They are not the same but can be complementary in some applications. It has been discovered that in low rotational speeds AE works better than Vibration signals. Below about 100 rpm you may find that AE is clearer and more sensitive to damage in rotating equipment. its all about signal frequency and signal to noise ratios.

In some applications i.e. in line monitoring of gearboxes using both provides a more complete solution.

06:12 Jun-15-2005
J D
Re: Is Vibration Analysis the same as Acoustic Emission? Hi,

Acoustic emission and vibration are different technologies. We (Physical Acoustics Corporation) are the manufacturer of both acoustic emission and vibration products. We are specialized in both areas. We have now made hybrid products to test both acoustic emission and vibration concurrently. Please visit our Web site at www.pacndt.com and www.vibrametrics.com.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Any one with experience with one or the other? Both? Are they the same? I've worked with AE at school and aircraft industry but not VA. Thank you.
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|