where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Peter
Peter
09:03 Jun-16-2005
Braze Joints

Hi, I am trying to figure out what creates a standard for braze joints and braze joint inspection. I know about ultrasonic cscan and Quasar Process Compensated Resonant Inspection. Though highly doubtful I am wondering if there is any visual inspections you can do to determine a good or bad braze joint. I am also wondering if there is an industry standard to do a destructive inspection,like how many parts to pull from a lot to determine a lot pass/fail.

peter
peter
00:13 Jun-16-2005
Re: Braze Joints
Oh yeah just to you clarify. I am looking for general visual inspection techniques. I know it is heavily part specific if there are any techniques. I am looking for examples like percentage of braze alloy above joint.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, I am trying to figure out what creates a standard for braze joints and braze joint inspection. I know about ultrasonic cscan and Quasar Process Compensated Resonant Inspection. Though highly doubtful I am wondering if there is any visual inspections you can do to determine a good or bad braze joint. I am also wondering if there is an industry standard to do a destructive inspection,like how many parts to pull from a lot to determine a lot pass/fail.
------------ End Original Message ------------

BILL KIESEL
NDT Inspector, level III L.P.I., X-RAY & U.T.
Smiths Tubular Systems-Laconia, USA, Joined Aug 2002, 4

BILL KIESEL

NDT Inspector, level III L.P.I., X-RAY & U.T.
Smiths Tubular Systems-Laconia,
USA,
Joined Aug 2002
02:12 Jun-18-2005
Re: Braze Joints
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Oh yeah just to you clarify. I am looking for general visual inspection techniques. I know it is heavily part specific if there are any techniques. I am looking for examples like percentage of braze alloy above joint.
: : Hi, I am trying to figure out what creates a standard for braze joints and braze joint inspection. I know about ultrasonic cscan and Quasar Process Compensated Resonant Inspection. Though highly doubtful I am wondering if there is any visual inspections you can do to determine a good or bad braze joint. I am also wondering if there is an industry standard to do a destructive inspection,like how many parts to pull from a lot to determine a lot pass/fail.
------------ End Original Message ------------

One of the commonly used method of confirming internal braze coverage using a visual method is to control which surface the braze is introduced and perform the inspection on tne opposite surface. this becomes a verification of braze flow. For NDT methods UT and X-Ray are your primary methods for confirming braze flow. In order to comply with a requirement that requires a specific percentage of braze coverage one of these methods will be needed.

Product Spotlight

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window