where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Code Case 2235-6
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.

01:47 Jun-24-2005

Cesar Boynard

R & D
Instituto de Soldadura e Qualidade,
Portugal,
Joined Dec 2002
Code Case 2235-6

Good morning,

Does anyone have more detailed information about Code Case 2235-6(last version)?
I mean, is it more demanding than 2235-4? Is it more specific for diffraction techniques? Has it more applied for tofd inspection? Is it available on the internet?

Thanks in advance
Best Regards

Cesar Boynard

06:58 Jun-25-2005

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Code Case 2235-6 Cesar:
The Code Case 2235 is still "under revision". Versions 7 and 8 are apparently awaiting publication.
There are a few changes in the version 6 compared to 4 and the re-organisation of the document has meant that it is not simply a matter of looking at each paragraph for the changes (too bad ASME does not publish a parallel document indicating the changes made).

I have noticed the following items as the main changes, perhaps others have noticed other items as well.

1. The examination volume with respect to the HAZ is more detailed.
2. The qualification block now requires an actual weld with fabricated flaws parallel to the weld fusion line (or made by hot isostatic pressing).
3. There is a supplement to the document to allow eddy curent as a surface testing method and details of how this may be used are described.

I could not locate the specific Code Case 2235-6 on the ASME website. Are there any suggestions how ASME deals with requests for specific documents?

Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Good morning,
: Does anyone have more detailed information about Code Case 2235-6(last version)?
: I mean, is it more demanding than 2235-4? Is it more specific for diffraction techniques? Has it more applied for tofd inspection? Is it available on the internet?
: Thanks in advance
: Best Regards
: Cesar Boynard
------------ End Original Message ------------

08:43 Jun-27-2005

Jan Verkooijen

Director,
Sonovation,
Netherlands,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Code Case 2235-6 Ed,

I am not aware yet of revisions 7 and 8. I would like to say however, that it is unclear from the text in cc2235-6 whether a weld is needed. The text is: "The qualification block(s) shall be prepared by welding or the hot isostatic process (HIP) and shall contain a minimum of three flaws, oriented to simulate flaws parallel to the production weld's fusion line..". The HIP is not a welding process as such, but is a process to join materials by applying high pressure. HIP would therefore never be representative for a production weld in the pressure vessel to be examined. It is therefore obvious that the conclusion should be that only the flaws should be put in by welding or HIP. The block itself does not need to have a production weld.

We have done many performance demonstrations for different Authorised Inspectors (AI), and have found that most will accept a block with flaws introduced from the side of the block as well.

I would be interested to know of experiences of others with demonstrations forthe code case.

Best regards,

Jan Verkooijen

: Cesar:
: The Code Case 2235 is still "under revision". Versions 7 and 8 are apparently awaiting publication.
: There are a few changes in the version 6 compared to 4 and the re-organisation of the document has meant that it is not simply a matter of looking at each paragraph for the changes (too bad ASME does not publish a parallel document indicating the changes made).
: I have noticed the following items as the main changes, perhaps others have noticed other items as well.
: 1. The examination volume with respect to the HAZ is more detailed.
: 2. The qualification block now requires an actual weld with fabricated flaws parallel to the weld fusion line (or made by hot isostatic pressing).
: 3. There is a supplement to the document to allow eddy curent as a surface testing method and details of how this may be used are described.
: I could not locate the specific Code Case 2235-6 on the ASME website. Are there any suggestions how ASME deals with requests for specific documents?
: Ed
:
: : Good morning,
: : Does anyone have more detailed information about Code Case 2235-6(last version)?
: : I mean, is it more demanding than 2235-4? Is it more specific for diffraction techniques? Has it more applied for tofd inspection? Is it available on the internet?
: : Thanks in advance
: : Best Regards
: : Cesar Boynard

01:54 Jul-21-2005
Bill
Re: Code Case 2235-6 Can anyone tell me were to get a copy of 2235-6?

: Ed,
: I am not aware yet of revisions 7 and 8. I would like to say however, that it is unclear from the text in cc2235-6 whether a weld is needed. The text is: "The qualification block(s) shall be prepared by welding or the hot isostatic process (HIP) and shall contain a minimum of three flaws, oriented to simulate flaws parallel to the production weld's fusion line..". The HIP is not a welding process as such, but is a process to join materials by applying high pressure. HIP would therefore never be representative for a production weld in the pressure vessel to be examined. It is therefore obvious that the conclusion should be that only the flaws should be put in by welding or HIP. The block itself does not need to have a production weld.
: We have done many performance demonstrations for different Authorised Inspectors (AI), and have found that most will accept a block with flaws introduced from the side of the block as well.
: I would be interested to know of experiences of others with demonstrations for the code case.
: Best regards,
: Jan Verkooijen
: : Cesar:
: : The Code Case 2235 is still "under revision". Versions 7 and 8 are apparently awaiting publication.
: : There are a few changes in the version 6 compared to 4 and the re-organisation of the document has meant that it is not simply a matter of looking at each paragraph for the changes (too bad ASME does not publish a parallel document indicating the changes made).
: : I have noticed the following items as the main changes, perhaps others have noticed other items as well.
: : 1. The examination volume with respect to the HAZ is more detailed.
: : 2. The qualification block now requires an actual weld with fabricated flaws parallel to the weld fusion line (or made by hot isostatic pressing).
: : 3. There is a supplement to the document to allow eddy curent as a surface testing method and details of how thismay be used are described.
: : I could not locate the specific Code Case 2235-6 on the ASME website. Are there any suggestions how ASME deals with requests for specific documents?
: : Ed
: :
: : : Good morning,
: : : Does anyone have more detailed information about Code Case 2235-6(last version)?
: : : I mean, is it more demanding than 2235-4? Is it more specific for diffraction techniques? Has it more applied for tofd inspection? Is it available on the internet?
: : : Thanks in advance
: : : Best Regards
: : : Cesar Boynard

09:03 Sep-09-2005
Raymond Ong A Kwien
Re: Code Case 2235-6 ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Ed,
: I am not aware yet of revisions 7 and 8. I would like to say however, that it is unclear from the text in cc2235-6 whether a weld is needed. The text is: "The qualification block(s) shall be prepared by welding or the hot isostatic process (HIP) and shall contain a minimum of three flaws, oriented to simulate flaws parallel to the production weld's fusion line..". The HIP is not a welding process as such, but is a process to join materials by applying high pressure. HIP would therefore never be representative for a production weld in the pressure vessel to be examined. It is therefore obvious that the conclusion should be that only the flaws should be put in by welding or HIP. The block itself does not need to have a production weld.
: We have done many performance demonstrations for different Authorised Inspectors (AI), and have found that most will accept a block with flaws introduced from the side of the block as well.
: I would be interested to know of experiences of others with demonstrations for the code case.
: Best regards,
: Jan Verkooijen
: : Cesar:
: : The Code Case 2235 is still "under revision". Versions 7 and 8 are apparently awaiting publication.
: : There are a few changes in the version 6 compared to 4 and the re-organisation of the document has meant that it is not simply a matter of looking at each paragraph for the changes (too bad ASME does not publish a parallel document indicating the changes made).
: : I have noticed the following items as the main changes, perhaps others have noticed other items as well.
: : 1. The examination volume with respect to the HAZ is more detailed.
: : 2. The qualification block now requires an actual weld with fabricated flaws parallel to the weld fusion line (or made by hot isostatic pressing).
: : 3. There is a supplement to the document to allow eddy curent as a surface testing method and details of how this may be used are described.
: : I could not locate the specific Code Case 2235-6 on the ASME website. Are there any suggestions how ASME deals with requests for specific documents?
: : Ed
: :
: : : Good morning,
: : : Does anyone have more detailed information about Code Case 2235-6(last version)?
: : : I mean, is it more demanding than 2235-4? Is it more specific for diffraction techniques? Has it more applied for tofd inspection? Is it available on the internet?
: : : Thanks in advance
: : : Best Regards
: : : Cesar Boynard

My contribution to this follow up. The cc requires one surface flaw on the side of the block representing the vessel OD surface; one surface flaw on the side of the block representing the vessel ID surface and one subsurface flaw. Each artificial flaw practically representing lack of side fusion is obtained by positioning on the welding preparation of one half of the block, a shim of the required size at the required position and contour welding it by a fillet weld. A better result would be obtained when positioning the shim into a slot machined into the bevel, contour welding and grind conveniently to restore an even surface of the bevel. Anyway, a subsurface flaw is mandatory. And as the method is to demonstrate that it is adequate for examination of welds, the qualification block should be welded.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|