where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Twisted heat exchanger tube inspections
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:35 Jun-27-2005

Charlie Jackson

Engineering
MBINSPECTION,
United Kingdom,
Joined Aug 2003
Twisted heat exchanger tube inspections

It would appear that a recent development in the exchager field is twisted tube bundles. Does anyone know of an inspection tool such as iris centest eddy current that has regularly been applied successfully.

Kind Regards Charlie

03:57 Jun-27-2005

Ingo Becker

Engineering, NDT Inspector & Sales
ec-works GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Apr 2000
Re: Twisted heat exchanger tube inspections Charlie,

last year we have developed a customized eddy current probe for the inspection of a twisted tubes heat exchanger located in a refinery. Tube material was SS, tube dimension more or less 1 inch with 1,5mm wall. Please try to contact me for further information

best regards

Ingo

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It would appear that a recent development in the exchager field is twisted tube bundles. Does anyone know of an inspection tool such as iris centest eddy current that has regularly been applied successfully.
: Kind Regards Charlie
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:48 Jun-27-2005

Rich Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Twisted heat exchanger tube inspections Good Day Mr. Jackson,

I believe you are talking about the twisted tubes manufactured by Brown Fin Tube? If so, the laser based LOTIS technique was successfully applied to detect pitting, corrosion, erosion on the ID. The only problem with any of these NDT techniques which shoot a beam (i.e. ultrasound, laser, etc.) is that there are blind spots where the angle of incidence becomes greater than the diameter of the receiver. With twisted tubes the greater the ratio between the minimum diameter: maximum diameter, the larger portion of the tube circumference not inspected.

Regards, Rich

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It would appear that a recent development in the exchager field is twisted tube bundles. Does anyone know of an inspection tool such as iris centest eddy current that has regularly been applied successfully.
: Kind Regards Charlie
------------ End Original Message ------------

03:04 Jun-27-2005

James Gauthier

NDT Inspector, Operations Manager
GE Inspection Services,
USA,
Joined Nov 2007
Re: Twisted heat exchanger tube inspections

The LOTIS technique that I have seen several times demonstrated a requirement for an extremely clean inner surface. I caution those that want to use this technique if cleaning is going to be an issue.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|