where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
IClampers
IClampers
03:06 Jul-08-2005
Mathematical Formula's For Gamma exposures

Does anyone know the matematic formulas to determine an exposure time? I want to do a spreadsheet based on these formula's but dont know what they are. They are obviously logarithmic functions as can be seen by the layout of the slide rules, but i dont know how to calculate it.

Appreciate any help.

I want to be able to determine by spreadsheet safe working distances based on size and thickness of piping, use and size of collimator, whether pipe is full or empty, any other shielding in area, etc....

By having spreadsheet I can do what if scenarios very easily to determine this.

Ed T.
Ed T.
06:09 Jul-09-2005
Re: Mathematical Formula's For Gamma exposures
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone know the matematic formulas to determine an exposure time? I want to do a spreadsheet based on these formula's but dont know what they are. They are obviously logarithmic functions as can be seen by the layout of the slide rules, but i dont know how to calculate it.
: Appreciate any help.
: I want to be able to determine by spreadsheet safe working distances based on size and thickness of piping, use and size of collimator, whether pipe is full or empty, any other shielding in area, etc....
: By having spreadsheet I can do what if scenarios very easily to determine this.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Ice, provide me with your email address. I have some excel spreadsheets that do that.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1261

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
05:58 Jul-09-2005
Some years ago we provided NDT.net a series of simple problem solving software. These can be freely downloaded at http://www.ndt.net/publicat/bibliog/pss.htm

Exposure times as were determined by the old slide rules are included in the RT ProblemSolver
Regards
Ed

: : Does anyone know the matematic formulas to determine an exposure time? I want to do a spreadsheet based on these formula's but dont know what they are. They are obviously logarithmic functions as can be seen by the layout of the slide rules, but i dont know how to calculate it.
: : Appreciate any help.
: : I want to be able to determine by spreadsheet safe working distances based on size and thickness of piping, use and size of collimator, whether pipe is full or empty, any other shielding in area, etc....
: : By having spreadsheet I can do what if scenarios very easily to determine this.
: Ice, provide me with your email address. I have some excel spreadsheets that do that.

IClampers
IClampers
01:15 Jul-10-2005
Thanks Ed. But what are the actual formuala to use to calculate this mathematically. I would like to configure a spreadsheet for my own specific uses and applications.

: Some years ago we provided NDT.net a series of simple problem solving software. These can be freely downloaded at http://www.ndt.net/publicat/bibliog/pss.htm
: Exposure times as were determined by the old slide rules are included in the RT ProblemSolver
: Regards
: Ed
: : : Does anyone know the matematic formulas to determine an exposure time? I want to do a spreadsheet based on these formula's but dont know what they are. They are obviously logarithmic functions as can be seen by the layout of the slide rules, but i dont know how to calculate it.
: : : Appreciate any help.
: : : I want to be able to determine by spreadsheet safe working distances based on size and thickness of piping, use and size of collimator, whether pipe is full or empty, any other shielding in area, etc....
: : : By having spreadsheet I can do what if scenarios very easily to determine this.
: : Ice, provide me with your email address. I have some excel spreadsheets that do that.

SatKiwi
SatKiwi
23:35 Feb-25-2011
In Reply to IClampers at 03:06 Jul-08-2005 (Opening).

IClampers,

did you ever get this figured out?

I have a formula, however, Im having difficulties fine tuning it... its a little out from the times we are using... I can achieve these times by adjusting a tuning value, but its no help when its for every weld :D

Ed T.
Ed T.
09:03 Feb-27-2011
In Reply to SatKiwi at 23:35 Feb-25-2011 .

Download Virus Scan recommended!

Maybe this can help. It was developed by a guy at Livermore Nat'l Labs and was given to me. I have UT formulae as well.

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 835

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
03:56 Feb-28-2011
In Reply to Ed T. at 09:03 Feb-27-2011 .

One of my technician actually downloaded it from the internet onto his blueberry.

LALIT MOHAN KOTHARI
Consultant, -
On ..IOCL and BARC(Bhabha Atomic Research Centre).etc, India, Joined Jan 2003, 128

LALIT MOHAN KOTHARI

Consultant, -
On ..IOCL and BARC(Bhabha Atomic Research Centre).etc,
India,
Joined Jan 2003
11:26 Mar-01-2011

Download

IClampers/ALL ,
I am uploding a capsule to you .about RT formula ++++ other information alsoplease download the attach file ( F F# Film Factor)
Thanks&Regard

Emman Odron
Emman Odron
09:56 Jan-13-2012

ET = (thickness factor)(source factor)(density factor)(SFD)squared(collimator factor)
divided by 144(curie)

Product Spotlight

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window