where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic angle beam formula for cylindrical forgings.
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.

02:22 Jul-10-2005
Johnnie
Ultrasonic angle beam formula for cylindrical forgings.

I would like to know the formula for proper angle use to impinge id of thick wallcylindrical forgings/pipe.

05:25 Jul-13-2005
Ed T.
Re: Ultrasonic angle beam formula for cylindrical forgings. ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I would like to know the formula for proper angle use to impinge id of thick wallcylindrical forgings/pipe.
------------ End Original Message ------------

SinØ 1 = (ID/OD) * SinØ2
SINØ2 being the desired angle on the ID surface.

09:15 Jul-13-2005
K.V. Rasmussen
Re: Ultrasonic angle beam formula for cylindrical forgings. ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I would like to know the formula for proper angle use to impinge id of thick wallcylindrical forgings/pipe.

Many years ago I found some useful formulas in Materials Evaluation No. 43, November 1985, page 1489.
This was published under the heading 'NDT Solutions' by Jim Johnson.

If you are interested contact me directly via e-mail and I can send you a PDF copy.

01:42 Jul-15-2005

N.DHANASEKARAN

R & D
WELDING RESEARCH INSTITUTE, BHEL,
India,
Joined Jun 2005
Re: Ultrasonic angle beam formula for cylindrical forgings.

Hello!
Well known formula to calculate the penetrated depth (d) by angle beam (¥è), knowing outer radius(r) of the pipe is given below:

d = r (1- sin¥è)

By substituting the thickness of the pipe in place of "d", for full penetration by the sound beam, one can calculate the angle required.
For example , 25 mm thick pipe of radius 100 mm will require 45 degree angle probe to detect inner notch in the ref.pipe.
N.DHANASEKARAN

-

---------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I would like to know the formula for proper angle use to impinge id of thick wallcylindrical forgings/pipe.
: Sin¨ª 1 = (ID/OD) * Sin¨ª2
: SIN¨ª2 being the desired angle on the ID surface.
: Sorry misprint.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|