where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonatest Ltd
From our three distinct business centres in the UK, USA and CANADA, Sonatest design and produce a leading range of high performance ultrasonic NDT equipment and accessories.

Technical Discussions
Johnnie
Johnnie
02:22 Jul-10-2005
Ultrasonic angle beam formula for cylindrical forgings.

I would like to know the formula for proper angle use to impinge id of thick wallcylindrical forgings/pipe.

Ed T.
Ed T.
05:25 Jul-13-2005
Re: Ultrasonic angle beam formula for cylindrical forgings.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I would like to know the formula for proper angle use to impinge id of thick wallcylindrical forgings/pipe.
------------ End Original Message ------------

SinØ 1 = (ID/OD) * SinØ2
SINØ2 being the desired angle on the ID surface.

K.V. Rasmussen
K.V. Rasmussen
09:15 Jul-13-2005
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I would like to know the formula for proper angle use to impinge id of thick wallcylindrical forgings/pipe.

Many years ago I found some useful formulas in Materials Evaluation No. 43, November 1985, page 1489.
This was published under the heading 'NDT Solutions' by Jim Johnson.

If you are interested contact me directly via e-mail and I can send you a PDF copy.

N.DHANASEKARAN
R & D
WELDING RESEARCH INSTITUTE, BHEL, India, Joined Jun 2005, 3

N.DHANASEKARAN

R & D
WELDING RESEARCH INSTITUTE, BHEL,
India,
Joined Jun 2005
01:42 Jul-15-2005

Hello!
Well known formula to calculate the penetrated depth (d) by angle beam (¥è), knowing outer radius(r) of the pipe is given below:

d = r (1- sin¥è)

By substituting the thickness of the pipe in place of "d", for full penetration by the sound beam, one can calculate the angle required.
For example , 25 mm thick pipe of radius 100 mm will require 45 degree angle probe to detect inner notch in the ref.pipe.
N.DHANASEKARAN

-

---------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I would like to know the formula for proper angle use to impinge id of thick wallcylindrical forgings/pipe.
: Sin¨ª 1 = (ID/OD) * Sin¨ª2
: SIN¨ª2 being the desired angle on the ID surface.
: Sorry misprint.

Product Spotlight

Alpha Pro Digital Radiography System

The Alpha Pro digital X-ray system is the ideal system for your NDT \r\nneeds, as it offers amazin
g 16 bit images which enable the highest \r\nlevel of detection and identification of hairline cracks. While weighing only 3kg (6.6lbs), this panel has the largest imaging area: 35 X 43 cm (14X17 in).
>

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window