where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
KRISHNAN
KRISHNAN
07:52 Jul-14-2005
WAVE PATTERN

Dear Sirs,
Is it same of wave pattern (wavelenth and other characteristics) which produced in transducer element and RECEIVING signal after interfering with material' grain structures.

Because I feel that wave length will be distrubed when it crosses too many size of grain boundries.

Please kindly explain me about this topic.

Thank you very much

Regards,

Krishnan

Dr. Anish Kumar
R & D, Scientist
Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, India, Joined Mar 2000, 7

Dr. Anish Kumar

R & D, Scientist
Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research,
India,
Joined Mar 2000
07:49 Jul-16-2005
Re: WAVE PATTERN
Hi Krishnan, You are right. The frequency characteristics of the ultrasoic wave (I assume you are talking about ultrasoic wave only) changes as it propagates through materials with different grain sizes due to different frequency dependent attenuation. You may see our following papers:

1.Anish Kumar, T. Jayakumar and Baldev Raj "Ultrasonic Spectral Analysis for Microstructural Characterization in Austenitic and Ferritic Steels", Philosophical Magazine A, Vol. 80 (2000) pp. 2469-2487.
2.Anish Kumar, T. Jayakumar, P. Palanichamy and Baldev Raj, "Influence of Grain Size on Ultrasonic Spectral Parameters in AISI Type 316 Stainless Steel
Scripta Materialia, Vol. 40 (1999) pp. 333-340.

Regards,
Anish

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Sirs,
: Is it same of wave pattern (wavelenth and other characteristics) which produced in transducer element and RECEIVING signal after interfering with material' grain structures.
: Because I feel that wave length will be distrubed whenit crosses too many size of grain boundries.
: Please kindly explain me about this topic.
: Thank you very much
: Regards,
: Krishnan
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic Flaw Detector & Thickness Gauge: Smartor

SIUI’s newly launched Smartor is a combination of ultrasonic testing and ultrasonic thickness me
asurement. ●IP 66 ●Compact size: 198 (W)* 128 (H) *520 (D) mm ●0.9kg only with battery ●5.7" LCD with high resolution 640×480 pixels ●One-hand operation ●Multiple conventional UT functions ●Smart Test Wizard ●Weld Simulation
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Alpha Pro Digital Radiography System

The Alpha Pro digital X-ray system is the ideal system for your NDT \r\nneeds, as it offers amazin
g 16 bit images which enable the highest \r\nlevel of detection and identification of hairline cracks. While weighing only 3kg (6.6lbs), this panel has the largest imaging area: 35 X 43 cm (14X17 in).
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window