where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
WAVE PATTERN
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Innovation Polymers
Custom Properties & Custom Shapes Innovation Polymers will work with your team to help develop specific required characteristics for the material you need.

07:52 Jul-14-2005
KRISHNAN
WAVE PATTERN

Dear Sirs,
Is it same of wave pattern (wavelenth and other characteristics) which produced in transducer element and RECEIVING signal after interfering with material' grain structures.

Because I feel that wave length will be distrubed when it crosses too many size of grain boundries.

Please kindly explain me about this topic.

Thank you very much

Regards,

Krishnan

07:49 Jul-16-2005

Dr. Anish Kumar

R & D, Scientist
Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research,
India,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: WAVE PATTERN Hi Krishnan, You are right. The frequency characteristics of the ultrasoic wave (I assume you are talking about ultrasoic wave only) changes as it propagates through materials with different grain sizes due to different frequency dependent attenuation. You may see our following papers:

1.Anish Kumar, T. Jayakumar and Baldev Raj "Ultrasonic Spectral Analysis for Microstructural Characterization in Austenitic and Ferritic Steels", Philosophical Magazine A, Vol. 80 (2000) pp. 2469-2487.
2.Anish Kumar, T. Jayakumar, P. Palanichamy and Baldev Raj, "Influence of Grain Size on Ultrasonic Spectral Parameters in AISI Type 316 Stainless Steel
Scripta Materialia, Vol. 40 (1999) pp. 333-340.

Regards,
Anish

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Sirs,
: Is it same of wave pattern (wavelenth and other characteristics) which produced in transducer element and RECEIVING signal after interfering with material' grain structures.
: Because I feel that wave length will be distrubed whenit crosses too many size of grain boundries.
: Please kindly explain me about this topic.
: Thank you very much
: Regards,
: Krishnan
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|