where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Ruso Joseph
Ruso Joseph
02:40 Jul-18-2005
Re: Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp

I have problem on measuring a pipe "weld" thickness of an austenitic material at moderate temperature. Due to corrosion on inside of the pipe, mostly at root of the weld, I have to monitor it by measuring the welds thickness.
The details are as follows:
Pipe Diameter : 4" up to 8"
Pipe Thickness : 0.25" up to 1"
Operating temp. : 180°C
By an ultrasonic thickness meter with 5MHz 0.4" dia and 10MHz 0.3" transducers, it can only measured the pipe and elbow thicknesses. But not the weld thickness.
By a Digital Flaw Detector with 5MHz 0.4" dia transducer, it can only measured the weld thickness up to 0,5" thick. It can not detect the weld thicker than 0,5".
As we know that austenitic weld is a highly attenuated material. And so, temperature. Anybody can help me, is that possible to measure 1" thick weld using a lower frequency with smaller crystal transducer? Where can I found such a tranducer? Anybody have any idea about the test procedure? Are there any other applicable NDT method?

Thanks in advance.
Ruso Joseph

Neil Burleigh
Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Dec 2002, 152

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
00:44 Jul-19-2005
Dear Ruso Joesph,
We have had good sucess using lower frequency twin crystal probes with composite crystals when testing highly attenuative materials but I am not sure of there capabilities at high temperatures. These probes have a small footprint, approx 12 -16 mm. We have been able to measure the thickness of rubber, fibreglass, cast iron and manganese steel all highly attenuative in the range 1 - 20 mm with an A scan thickness gauge. This upper range can be extended using an ultrasonic flaw detector.
Another option is to use a small dia single crystal probe with a high temperature delay line say 1 or 2 MHz
Hope this helps
Regards

Neil Burleigh
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have problem on measuring a pipe "weld" thickness of an austenitic material at moderate temperature. Due to corrosion on inside of the pipe, mostly at root of the weld, I have to monitor it by measuring the welds thickness.
: The details are as follows:
: Pipe Diameter : 4" up to 8"
: Pipe Thickness : 0.25" up to 1"
: Operating temp. : 180°C
: By an ultrasonic thickness meter with 5MHz 0.4" dia and 10MHz 0.3" transducers, it can only measured the pipe and elbow thicknesses. But not the weld thickness.
: By a Digital Flaw Detector with 5MHz 0.4" dia transducer, it can only measured the weld thickness up to 0,5" thick. It can not detect the weld thicker than 0,5".
: As we know that austenitic weld is a highly attenuated material. And so, temperature. Anybody can help me, is that possible to measure 1" thick weld using a lower frequency with smaller crystal transducer? Where can I found such a tranducer? Anybody have any idea about the test procedure? Are there any other applicable NDT method?
:
: Thanks in advance.
: Ruso Joseph
------------ End Original Message ------------

N.Kuppusamy
Consultant, Level-III
United Testing Co. Pte Ltd, Singapore, Joined Jan 2003, 13

N.Kuppusamy

Consultant, Level-III
United Testing Co. Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Jan 2003
03:20 Jul-21-2005
Dear friend,

Can you give more detail about root and cap condition?
Whether they are ground or as welded condition? Apart from attenuation factor (for austenitic) surface flatness should be ensured in order to get reliable reading.

Regards,
N.Kuppusamy
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Ruso Joesph,
: We have had good sucess using lower frequency twin crystal probes with composite crystals when testing highly attenuative materials but I am not sure of there capabilities at high temperatures. These probes have a small footprint, approx 12 -16 mm. We have been able to measure the thickness of rubber, fibreglass, cast iron and manganese steel all highly attenuative in the range 1 - 20 mm with an A scan thickness gauge. This upper range can be extended using an ultrasonic flaw detector.
: Another option is to use a small dia single crystal probe with a high temperature delay line say 1 or 2 MHz
: Hope this helps
: Regards
: Neil Burleigh
: : I have problem on measuring a pipe "weld" thickness of an austenitic material at moderate temperature. Due to corrosion on inside of the pipe, mostly at root of the weld, I have to monitor it by measuring the welds thickness.
: : The details are as follows:
: : Pipe Diameter : 4" up to 8"
: : Pipe Thickness : 0.25" up to 1"
: : Operating temp. : 180°C
: : By an ultrasonic thickness meter with 5MHz 0.4" dia and 10MHz 0.3" transducers, it can only measured the pipe and elbow thicknesses. But not the weld thickness.
: : By a Digital Flaw Detector with 5MHz 0.4" dia transducer, it can only measured the weld thickness up to 0,5" thick. It can not detect the weld thicker than 0,5".
: : As we know that austenitic weld is a highly attenuated material. And so, temperature. Anybody can help me, is that possible to measure 1" thick weld using a lower frequency with smaller crystal transducer? Where can I found such a tranducer? Anybody have any idea about the test procedure? Are there any other applicable NDT method?
: :
: : Thanks in advance.
: : Ruso Joseph
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window