where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Re: Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

KARL DEUTSCH
INSTRUMENTS AND SYSTEMS FOR NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTING OF MATERIALS.

02:40 Jul-18-2005
Ruso Joseph
Re: Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp

I have problem on measuring a pipe "weld" thickness of an austenitic material at moderate temperature. Due to corrosion on inside of the pipe, mostly at root of the weld, I have to monitor it by measuring the welds thickness.
The details are as follows:
Pipe Diameter : 4" up to 8"
Pipe Thickness : 0.25" up to 1"
Operating temp. : 180°C
By an ultrasonic thickness meter with 5MHz 0.4" dia and 10MHz 0.3" transducers, it can only measured the pipe and elbow thicknesses. But not the weld thickness.
By a Digital Flaw Detector with 5MHz 0.4" dia transducer, it can only measured the weld thickness up to 0,5" thick. It can not detect the weld thicker than 0,5".
As we know that austenitic weld is a highly attenuated material. And so, temperature. Anybody can help me, is that possible to measure 1" thick weld using a lower frequency with smaller crystal transducer? Where can I found such a tranducer? Anybody have any idea about the test procedure? Are there any other applicable NDT method?

Thanks in advance.
Ruso Joseph

00:44 Jul-19-2005

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp Dear Ruso Joesph,
We have had good sucess using lower frequency twin crystal probes with composite crystals when testing highly attenuative materials but I am not sure of there capabilities at high temperatures. These probes have a small footprint, approx 12 -16 mm. We have been able to measure the thickness of rubber, fibreglass, cast iron and manganese steel all highly attenuative in the range 1 - 20 mm with an A scan thickness gauge. This upper range can be extended using an ultrasonic flaw detector.
Another option is to use a small dia single crystal probe with a high temperature delay line say 1 or 2 MHz
Hope this helps
Regards

Neil Burleigh
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I have problem on measuring a pipe "weld" thickness of an austenitic material at moderate temperature. Due to corrosion on inside of the pipe, mostly at root of the weld, I have to monitor it by measuring the welds thickness.
: The details are as follows:
: Pipe Diameter : 4" up to 8"
: Pipe Thickness : 0.25" up to 1"
: Operating temp. : 180°C
: By an ultrasonic thickness meter with 5MHz 0.4" dia and 10MHz 0.3" transducers, it can only measured the pipe and elbow thicknesses. But not the weld thickness.
: By a Digital Flaw Detector with 5MHz 0.4" dia transducer, it can only measured the weld thickness up to 0,5" thick. It can not detect the weld thicker than 0,5".
: As we know that austenitic weld is a highly attenuated material. And so, temperature. Anybody can help me, is that possible to measure 1" thick weld using a lower frequency with smaller crystal transducer? Where can I found such a tranducer? Anybody have any idea about the test procedure? Are there any other applicable NDT method?
:
: Thanks in advance.
: Ruso Joseph
------------ End Original Message ------------

03:20 Jul-21-2005

N.Kuppusamy

Consultant, Level-III
United Testing Co. Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Thickness Measure of Austenitic Welds at High Temp Dear friend,

Can you give more detail about root and cap condition?
Whether they are ground or as welded condition? Apart from attenuation factor (for austenitic) surface flatness should be ensured in order to get reliable reading.

Regards,
N.Kuppusamy
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Ruso Joesph,
: We have had good sucess using lower frequency twin crystal probes with composite crystals when testing highly attenuative materials but I am not sure of there capabilities at high temperatures. These probes have a small footprint, approx 12 -16 mm. We have been able to measure the thickness of rubber, fibreglass, cast iron and manganese steel all highly attenuative in the range 1 - 20 mm with an A scan thickness gauge. This upper range can be extended using an ultrasonic flaw detector.
: Another option is to use a small dia single crystal probe with a high temperature delay line say 1 or 2 MHz
: Hope this helps
: Regards
: Neil Burleigh
: : I have problem on measuring a pipe "weld" thickness of an austenitic material at moderate temperature. Due to corrosion on inside of the pipe, mostly at root of the weld, I have to monitor it by measuring the welds thickness.
: : The details are as follows:
: : Pipe Diameter : 4" up to 8"
: : Pipe Thickness : 0.25" up to 1"
: : Operating temp. : 180°C
: : By an ultrasonic thickness meter with 5MHz 0.4" dia and 10MHz 0.3" transducers, it can only measured the pipe and elbow thicknesses. But not the weld thickness.
: : By a Digital Flaw Detector with 5MHz 0.4" dia transducer, it can only measured the weld thickness up to 0,5" thick. It can not detect the weld thicker than 0,5".
: : As we know that austenitic weld is a highly attenuated material. And so, temperature. Anybody can help me, is that possible to measure 1" thick weld using a lower frequency with smaller crystal transducer? Where can I found such a tranducer? Anybody have any idea about the test procedure? Are there any other applicable NDT method?
: :
: : Thanks in advance.
: : Ruso Joseph
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|