where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Delaminations in Fibreglass Composites
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:16 Jul-28-2005
shawn
Delaminations in Fibreglass Composites

Does anyone out there have anny good techniques for checking for delam lines in fibreglass composites? Also would like to know the tech numbers as well. i.e. x-ducer, standoff, freq, velocity, db, etc., Thank you in advance.
Shawn

01:04 Jul-29-2005

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
Re: Delaminations in Fibreglass Composites Hello Shawn,
Before getting into this application we should first determine what types of Fiberglass composites you wish to test and for what industry application the composite will be used for. For example if it is for the aerospace industry there are reams of documentation available, ie test procedures for the UT examination of composites for delamination.
Could it be for 'cherry picker' booms (Lifting Cranes)? Acoustic Emission is used wifely in this application.
Alternatively could it be in the ship building industry?
In every case the manufacturing process needs to be well documented before you could perform an UT examination with a high level of confidence. To try and carry out an examination of a fiberglass composite not knowing whether it has been hand laid, what weight of fiber was used, what was the ratio of fiber to resin in the mix. Was the fiber suitably 'wetted' before being covered in resin to reduce the incidence of air bubbles. Was the hardening process sufficently slow enough to allow the resin to suffuse into the fiber matrix to maximise the strength of the component.
All the above variables will have an effect on how sound travels through this material and thereby impact on the UT examination.

Hoping I haven't scared you off but you can still get some very meaningful data as long as you are aware.

Regards
Neil Burleigh

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone out there have anny good techniques for checking for delam lines in fibreglass composites? Also would like to know the tech numbers as well. i.e. x-ducer, standoff, freq, velocity, db, etc., Thank you in advance.
: Shawn
------------ End Original Message ------------

09:10 Jul-29-2005
Joerg Collrep
Re: Delaminations in Fibreglass Composites Dear Shawn,
we have successfully done tests with Shearography on fiberglass composites. The technique provides only the information about any potential delaminations inside the object but doesn't tell you more.
If you would like to have further information about the technique please feel free to contact me.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone out there have anny good techniques for checking for delam lines in fibreglass composites? Also would like to know the tech numbers as well. i.e. x-ducer, standoff, freq, velocity, db, etc., Thank you in advance.
: Shawn
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|