where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
determining mechanical properties of steel using ultrasonic
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:35 Aug-19-2005
mahboobeh
determining mechanical properties of steel using ultrasonic

Dear friends
I want to determine the mechanical properties of steel. But I do not know which kind of wave with what frequency is suitable for this purpose? And what other parameters do I need for this test?
And I need some full text articles in this case.
If you answer me I would be very grateful .
Regards
Mahboobeh

07:56 Aug-22-2005

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: determining mechanical properties of steel using ultrasonic The attached link from Panametrics-NDT describes the a procedure for determining elastic modulus in steel using longitudinal and shear waves. The optimum transducer frequency will depend on the thickness of the samples that you wish to test.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear friends
: I want to determine the mechanical properties of steel. But I do not know which kind of wave with what frequency is suitable for this purpose? And what other parameters do I need for this test?
: And I need some full text articles in this case.
: If you answer me I would be very grateful .
: Regards
: Mahboobeh
------------ End Original Message ------------

09:36 Aug-24-2005

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: determining mechanical properties of steel using ultrasonic ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: The attached link from Panametrics-NDT describes the a procedure for determining elastic modulus in steel using longitudinal and shear waves. The optimum transducer frequency will depend on the thickness of the samples that you wish to test.
:
: : Dear friends
: : I want to determine the mechanical properties of steel. But I do not know which kind of wave with what frequency is suitable for this purpose? And what other parameters do I need for this test?
: : And I need some full text articles in this case.
: : If you answer me I would be very grateful .
: : Regards
: : Mahboobeh

Panametrics is proposing parallel-surface specimens and the use of two different straight beam probes (one for longitudinal and one for shear waves).

Instead, you can use one angle beam probe for longitudinal waves, which inherently also has a steeper shear wave. Then you have to use specimens of half cylindrical shape, preferably with two different radii (similar to the SULZER variation of the ISO control specimen). This method was published in the early seventies by Ulrich Betz (at that time with University of Applied Sciences Darmstadt, former with MPA Stuttgart). As far as I remember, the paper could be found in the Krautkraemer journal 'Das Echo'.

Regards
Uli Mletzko
NDT group, MPA,
University of Stuttgart (Germany)

06:18 Aug-25-2005

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: determining mechanical properties of steel using ultrasonic ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : The attached link from Panametrics-NDT describes the a procedure for determining elastic modulus in steel using longitudinal and shear waves. The optimum transducer frequency will depend on the thickness of the samples that you wish to test.
: :
: : : Dear friends
: : : I want to determine the mechanical properties of steel. But I do not know which kind of wave with what frequency is suitable for this purpose? And what other parameters do I need for this test?
: : : And I need some full text articles in this case.
: : : If you answer me I would be very grateful .
: : : Regards
: : : Mahboobeh
: Panametrics is proposing parallel-surface specimens and the use of two different straight beam probes (one for longitudinal and one for shear waves).
: Instead, you can use one angle beam probe for longitudinal waves, which inherently also has a steeper shear wave. Then you have to use specimens of half cylindrical shape, preferably with two different radii (similar to the SULZER variation of the ISO control specimen). This method was published in the early seventies by Ulrich Betz (at that time with University of Applied Sciences Darmstadt, former with MPA Stuttgart). As far as I remember, the paper could be found in the Krautkraemer journal 'Das Echo'.
: Regards
: Uli Mletzko
: NDT group, MPA,
: University of Stuttgart (Germany)

The method desxribed by Pnametrics has the advantage of being certain that the two velocities are measured over the same path - and in the same direction with respect to any anisotropies due to grain structure. The disadvatage for some is the cost of contract straight-beam shear wave transducers and the need to make a specimen with parallel sides. Using angle beam longitudinal and shear waves with different angles is fine for materials with uniform properties all directions. However, a surprising variety of materials have directional properties depending upon how they were manufactured.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|