where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Problem in starting UT
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TecScan Systems
We offer a complete line of NDT scanners, Immersion Tanks & Gantry systems which incorporate Ultrasonic, Phased Array & Eddy Current technologies.

02:11 Aug-30-2005
Chien
Problem in starting UT

Hi all,
I just began learning ultrasound testing on plate. My setup consists of two angle beam transducer at similar central frequency but different specifications e.g. different impedance between the two of them, a Tektronix Oscilloscope and Tektronix Arbitrary Function Generator that is capable of producing a 160 kHz pulse. I attached a T-connector at channel 1 of the function generator so that I can connect both the transmitting transducer and the oscilloscope to that channel to observe the transmitted wave. What happened was that as soon as I connected the transducer to the T-connector (after the oscilloscope was connected), I noticed a change in the waveform from pulse shape to sine wave-shape and the amplitude greatly reduced. My first guess is the impedance mismatch between the transducer and the oscilloscope. But, I couldn't find any solution to this. Any suggestion?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|