where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Fred Raco, Jr.
Consultant,
RNDT, Inc., USA, Joined Jul 2002, 24

Fred Raco, Jr.

Consultant,
RNDT, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jul 2002
00:13 Sep-02-2005
Nitrogen filled pressure vessels

Will X-rays have any effect on pressurized nitrogen in a pressure vessel. Mainly, can it increase the temperature of the nitrogen and increase the pressure? I do not think that it will but I have been asked this question by my client and I am now curious. He wants to send me some small spherical vessels that are pressurized to 6500 psi with nitrogen. The welds need radiographed. Any help will be appreciated.

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
09:35 Sep-03-2005
Re: Nitrogen filled pressure vessels
Dear Fred,

I think there should not be any problem. The ionisation of nitrogen atoms/molecules that takes place will be reversed over a period of time, because it is a closed system.

The image sharpness could however be affected because of the scattering and secondary X-rays.

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Will X-rays have any effect on pressurized nitrogen in a pressure vessel. Mainly, can it increase the temperature of the nitrogen and increase the pressure? I do not think that it will but I have been asked this question by my client and I am now curious. He wants to send me some small spherical vessels that are pressurized to 6500 psi with nitrogen. The welds need radiographed. Any help will be appreciated.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window