where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Nitrogen filled pressure vessels
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:13 Sep-02-2005

Fred Raco, Jr.

Consultant, Partner in NDT Laboratory
RNDT, Inc.,
USA,
Joined Jul 2002
Nitrogen filled pressure vessels

Will X-rays have any effect on pressurized nitrogen in a pressure vessel. Mainly, can it increase the temperature of the nitrogen and increase the pressure? I do not think that it will but I have been asked this question by my client and I am now curious. He wants to send me some small spherical vessels that are pressurized to 6500 psi with nitrogen. The welds need radiographed. Any help will be appreciated.

09:35 Sep-03-2005

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Nitrogen filled pressure vessels Dear Fred,

I think there should not be any problem. The ionisation of nitrogen atoms/molecules that takes place will be reversed over a period of time, because it is a closed system.

The image sharpness could however be affected because of the scattering and secondary X-rays.

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Will X-rays have any effect on pressurized nitrogen in a pressure vessel. Mainly, can it increase the temperature of the nitrogen and increase the pressure? I do not think that it will but I have been asked this question by my client and I am now curious. He wants to send me some small spherical vessels that are pressurized to 6500 psi with nitrogen. The welds need radiographed. Any help will be appreciated.
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|