where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
thickness of composite sandwich walls.
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:28 Sep-09-2005
Roderick Banks
thickness of composite sandwich walls.

Hi Guys,
I'm an engineer working for a company which builds luxuary cruisers. We are looking for a NDT method for testing the wall thickness of a boat hull. The thickness range I wish to measure is between 5mm and 70mm. We have tried Ultra-sound, but found it complicated to use, and it could not measure through a sandwich structure. I've heard there are electomagnetic/inductive/eddy curent devices where by a piece of metal is placed on the opposite side of the hull.
If anyone has any information of a thing like this that will measure the thickness of a composite sandwich, could they please forward me the supplier details and any information.

Our Sandwich structures are typically balsa or pvc foam with polyester/glass fibre skins.

I'm based in Australia

04:43 Sep-09-2005
Trevor Easton
Re: thickness of composite sandwich walls. ----------- Start Original Message -----------
I've heard there are electomagnetic/inductive/eddy curent devices where by a piece of metal is placed on the opposite side of the hull.
: If anyone has any information of a thing like this that will measure the thickness of a composite sandwich, could they please forward me the supplier details and any information.
: Our Sandwich structures are typically balsa or pvc foam with polyester/glass fibre skins.
: I'm based in Australia
------------ End Original Message ------------

Kaman (kamansensors.com) make eddycurrent devices that measure the displacement of metallic samples. These can be used to measure the thickness of plastic or FRP components.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|