where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Roderick Banks
Roderick Banks
07:28 Sep-09-2005
thickness of composite sandwich walls.

Hi Guys,
I'm an engineer working for a company which builds luxuary cruisers. We are looking for a NDT method for testing the wall thickness of a boat hull. The thickness range I wish to measure is between 5mm and 70mm. We have tried Ultra-sound, but found it complicated to use, and it could not measure through a sandwich structure. I've heard there are electomagnetic/inductive/eddy curent devices where by a piece of metal is placed on the opposite side of the hull.
If anyone has any information of a thing like this that will measure the thickness of a composite sandwich, could they please forward me the supplier details and any information.

Our Sandwich structures are typically balsa or pvc foam with polyester/glass fibre skins.

I'm based in Australia

Trevor Easton
Trevor Easton
04:43 Sep-09-2005
Re: thickness of composite sandwich walls.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
I've heard there are electomagnetic/inductive/eddy curent devices where by a piece of metal is placed on the opposite side of the hull.
: If anyone has any information of a thing like this that will measure the thickness of a composite sandwich, could they please forward me the supplier details and any information.
: Our Sandwich structures are typically balsa or pvc foam with polyester/glass fibre skins.
: I'm based in Australia
------------ End Original Message ------------

Kaman (kamansensors.com) make eddycurrent devices that measure the displacement of metallic samples. These can be used to measure the thickness of plastic or FRP components.

Product Spotlight

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Ultrasonic Squirter/Gantry System

TecScan’s NDT Ultrasonic Gantry Systems are industrial Squirter scanners designed for non-destru
ctive quality testing and raster scanning of large structures and parts. The Gantry Systems are usually composed of an Industrial Mechanical Scanner and a Control Room with System Workstation.
>

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window