where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic phase d array file formats
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:55 Sep-14-2005

Dick Gray

Engineering,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1999
Ultrasonic phase d array file formats

Is there an umbrella organization e.g. ASNT, EPRI, ASME or manufacture's association, working on standardization of file formats for phased array ultrasonics ? Using radiography as an example, DICOM/DICONDE compliance allows exchange and viewing of files from one platform to another. A similar situation occurred with jpg/jpeg files under the Japanese Photographic Equipment Manfacturer's Association.

Does anyone know of translation software that will allow phased array data generated by one manufacturer to be read by a second manufacturer?

06:21 Sep-19-2005
François Mainguy
Re: Ultrasonic phase d array file formats Bonjour - In the past 4 years, I've been inviting many other manufacturers and direct competitors towards a standardization. I did so multiple times. It's like HARFANG was the only one interested in that subject.

I presented a paper at EPRI 3rd Seminar on Phased Array in Seatlle (june 2003) and explained the problem in great depth. The worst problem for customers - like OPG - is supplier-locking. It's a very frustrating situation to be forced to buy from a specific vendor because of file format. Statu quo is obviously to the advantage of certain manufacturers. Some organizations like Hydro-Québec are specifying open file formats when going out for a tender (RFQ) higher than a certain value, and suppliers need to comply. I don't know if they do it for NDT, but they certainly do for other technologies.

In Seattle I proposed the concept of a Phased Array Interest Group (PAIG) for which the first mandate would have been to define open file standards. I proposed the concept to many players and I hit pessimism and lack of motivation from the very few who responded.

I am currently working with umbrella organizations to have published formats. I expect that for Q1 or Q2 2006, customers will be able to refer to registered file formats publicly available from at least one known organization involved in NDT codes.

In the meantime and as a protection against any slip in the schedule, I would recommend customers to require file format complete specifications, without strings attached (NDAs, etc.), before any purchase.

Regards,

François Mainguy
Founder and VP-Technology
HARFANG Microtechniques inc.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is there an umbrella organization e.g. ASNT, EPRI, ASME or manufacture's association, working on standardization of file formats for phased array ultrasonics ? Using radiography as an example, DICOM/DICONDE compliance allows exchange and viewing of files from one platform to another. A similar situation occurred with jpg/jpeg files under the Japanese Photographic Equipment Manfacturer's Association.
: Does anyone know of translation software that will allow phased array data generated by one manufacturer to be read by a second manufacturer?
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|