where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Which standards should refer to when doing MT and UT
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

05:19 Sep-16-2005
coriolius
Which standards should refer to when doing MT and UT

I need to make MT and UT inspection to some steel components such as hollow shaft, high strength steel bolt (about M20x100), some small steel connecting shaft (about 20mm-dia x 80mm length), lever (30mm square section x 80mm length). The inspection is for surface and sub/surface cracks and flaws.

Which BS (or EN, ISO) standards should I refer to regarding the general testing guidelines, techniques and acceptance criteria?

I know there are BS and ISO standards for MT and UT inspection of welds, but I can't find the one for inspection of non-welded general material.

01:04 Sep-16-2005
Arunachalam
Re: Which standards should refer to when doing MT and UT -Dear,
please refer the material standard which will give you the "Inspection and testing standard for Visual, NDT, DT with procedures and acceptance creteria"
---------- Start Original Message -----------
: I need to make MT and UT inspection to some steel components such as hollow shaft, high strength steel bolt (about M20x100), some small steel connecting shaft (about 20mm-dia x 80mm length), lever (30mm square section x 80mm length). The inspection is for surface and sub/surface cracks and flaws.
: Which BS (or EN, ISO) standards should I refer to regarding the general testing guidelines, techniques and acceptance criteria?
: I know there are BS and ISO standards for MT and UT inspection of welds, but I can't find the one for inspection of non-welded general material.
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:46 Sep-19-2005
Ed T.
Re: Which standards should refer to when doing MT and UT I don't know about BS Standards, but you can take a look at ASTM SE-709 for MT and ASTM SA-388 for UT. They can be found in the back of ASME Section V.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I need to make MT and UT inspection to some steel components such as hollow shaft, high strength steel bolt (about M20x100), some small steel connecting shaft (about 20mm-dia x 80mm length), lever (30mm square section x 80mm length). The inspection is for surface and sub/surface cracks and flaws.
: Which BS (or EN, ISO) standards should I refer to regarding the general testing guidelines, techniques and acceptance criteria?
: I know there are BS and ISO standards for MT and UT inspection of welds, but I can't find the one for inspection of non-welded general material.

03:57 Sep-21-2005
coriolius
Re: Which standards should refer to when doing MT and UT Which material standard? Do you mean the material standard published by the steel manufacturer?

: -Dear,
: please refer the material standard which will give you the "Inspection and testing standard for Visual, NDT, DT with procedures and acceptance creteria"
: ---------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I need to make MT and UT inspection to some steel components such as hollow shaft, high strength steel bolt (about M20x100), some small steel connecting shaft (about 20mm-dia x 80mm length), lever (30mm square section x 80mm length). The inspection is for surface and sub/surface cracks and flaws.
: : Which BS (or EN, ISO) standards should I refer to regarding the general testing guidelines, techniques and acceptance criteria?
: : I know there are BS and ISO standards for MT and UT inspection of welds, but I can't find the one for inspection of non-welded general material.

06:54 Sep-23-2005
Arunachalam
Re: Which standards should refer to when doing MT and UT Dear ,
All materials are manufacted based on a particular Country standard, Like ASTM or BS or JIS,
So ask the company for more details, like material manufactring standard ,number & Grade of the material which you are going to test.
they must have the Standard Book if not you have to get from outside to refer for testing standards

For example if you need to test ASTM A105 forging Bar , refer ASTM A105 standard which will give you all testing requirements and further refernce stadards to refer.
Hope U understand,
Regards
Arun
---------- Start Original Message -----------
: Which material standard? Do you mean the material standard published by the steel manufacturer?
: : -Dear,
: : please refer the material standard which will give you the "Inspection and testing standard for Visual, NDT, DT with procedures and acceptance creteria"
: : ---------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : I need to make MT and UT inspection to some steel components such as hollow shaft, high strength steel bolt (about M20x100), some small steel connecting shaft (about 20mm-dia x 80mm length), lever (30mm square section x 80mm length). The inspection is for surface and sub/surface cracks and flaws.
: : : Which BS (or EN, ISO) standards should I refer to regarding the general testing guidelines, techniques and acceptance criteria?
: : : I know there are BS and ISO standards for MT and UT inspection of welds, but I can't find the one for inspection of non-welded general material.

04:20 Sep-24-2005

N.Kuppusamy

Consultant, Level-III
United Testing Co. Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: Which standards should refer to when doing MT and UT Dear Coriolius,
Please refer to the following standards, I think this may be useful to you.

Standard Number: BS 5138:1974
Title: Specification for magnetic particle flaw inspection of finished machined solid forged and drop stamped crankshafts.

Standard Number: BS EN 10308:2002
Title: Non-destructive testing. Ultrasonic testing of steel bars

Standard Number: BS EN 10228-4:1999
Title: Non-destructive testing of steel forgings. Ultrasonic testing of austenitic and austenitic-ferritic stainless steel forgings

Standard Number: BS A 305:1994, ISO 7961:1994
Title: Bolts. Test methods

Standard Number: BS EN 10228-1:1999
Title: Non-destructive testing of steel forgings. Magnetic particle inspection

Standard Number: BS M 36:1970
Title: Method for ultrasonic testing of special forgings by an immersion technique using flat-bottomed holes as a reference standard

Standard Number: BS EN 10228-3:1998
Title: Non-destructive testing of steel forgings. Ultrasonic testing of ferritic or martensitic steel forgings

Standard Number: BS EN 10228-4:1999
Title: Non-destructive testing of steel forgings. Ultrasonic testing of austenitic and austenitic-ferritic stainless steel forgings

Best Regards,

N.Kuppusamy
: Dear ,
: All materials are manufacted based on a particular Country standard, Like ASTM or BS or JIS,
: So ask the company for more details, like material manufactring standard ,number & Grade of the material which you are going to test.
: they must have the Standard Book if not you have to get from outside to refer for testing standards
: For example if you need to test ASTM A105 forging Bar , refer ASTM A105 standard which will give you all testing requirements and further refernce stadards to refer.
: Hope U understand,
: Regards
: Arun
: ---------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Which material standard? Do you mean the material standard published by the steel manufacturer?
: : : -Dear,
: : : please refer the material standard which will give you the "Inspection and testing standard for Visual, NDT, DT with procedures and acceptance creteria"
: : : ---------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : : I need to make MT and UT inspection to some steel components such as hollow shaft, high strength steel bolt (about M20x100), some small steel connecting shaft (about 20mm-dia x 80mm length), lever (30mm square section x 80mm length). The inspection is for surface and sub/surface cracks and flaws.
: : : : Which BS (or EN, ISO) standards should I refer to regarding the general testing guidelines, techniques and acceptance criteria?
: : : : I know there are BS and ISO standards for MT and UT inspection of welds, but I can't find the one for inspection of non-welded general material.

05:59 Oct-31-2005

A.A.AMIRI

Consultant, NDT/QC/WELD INSPECTION
Iran,
Joined Nov 2005
Re: Which standards should refer to when doing MT and UT ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Friend,
In general purpose of material testing,you can use ASTM standard.But as per design code or service of equipments, you can select exact standard or specificatio.,

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|