where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Don
Don
00:51 Sep-26-2005
Near surface creeping (Head) wave signals

I am testing steel for small surface breaking cracks (probe side)using 20MHz immersion probes angled at slightly less than the 1st critical angle to produce head waves in the material. The problem is that I only seem to get signals from the crack tips, and not from the surface breaking corner as I would expect. Is this normal for head waves or have I got somthing wrong?

John Turner
John Turner
03:29 Sep-26-2005
Re: Near surface creeping (Head) wave signals
You have problems with setting up creeping waves this way. The major one is the attenuation of the head wave at 20MHz. It also concerns me that you are using an immersion probe - how are you setting up the beam angle with this?

For further information, please contact Phoenix Inspection Systems.

Regards

John Turner

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am testing steel for small surface breaking cracks (probe side)using 20MHz immersion probes angled at slightly less than the 1st critical angle to produce head waves in the material. The problem is that I only seem to get signals from the crack tips, and not from the surface breaking corner as I would expect. Is this normal for head waves or have I got somthing wrong?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

CIVA 2020 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

Compact NDT inspection-heads for measurements with active thermography

The compact inspection head is suitable for thermographic ndt tasks. The uncooled infrared camera
is specially developed for NDI-tasks and offers a thermal sensitivity until now known only from thermal imagers with cooled detector. All required components and functions are integrated into the inspection-head. You will only need an ethernet cable to connect the sensor with the evaluation system.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window