where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Near surface creeping (Head) wave signals
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes designs, develops and manufactures nearly 30 years a complete NDT range of products in eddy current and ultrasonic testing methods.

00:51 Sep-26-2005
Don
Near surface creeping (Head) wave signals

I am testing steel for small surface breaking cracks (probe side)using 20MHz immersion probes angled at slightly less than the 1st critical angle to produce head waves in the material. The problem is that I only seem to get signals from the crack tips, and not from the surface breaking corner as I would expect. Is this normal for head waves or have I got somthing wrong?

03:29 Sep-26-2005
John Turner
Re: Near surface creeping (Head) wave signals You have problems with setting up creeping waves this way. The major one is the attenuation of the head wave at 20MHz. It also concerns me that you are using an immersion probe - how are you setting up the beam angle with this?

For further information, please contact Phoenix Inspection Systems.

Regards

John Turner

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am testing steel for small surface breaking cracks (probe side)using 20MHz immersion probes angled at slightly less than the 1st critical angle to produce head waves in the material. The problem is that I only seem to get signals from the crack tips, and not from the surface breaking corner as I would expect. Is this normal for head waves or have I got somthing wrong?
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|