where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

WesDyne International (AMDATA Products)
WesDyne is an engineering and technical services firm dedicated to providing standard and custom nondestructive examinations (NDE) products and systems

Technical Discussions
abera
abera
00:55 Oct-09-2005
Testing of thin adhesive bonds

Im working on ultrasnic test of impact damaged adhesively bonded composites.I have tried pulse -ecdho method.THis method suffers sensitivity to test the adhesive layer,because the bond line thickness is too thin.Any body who has an idea about what altranative test I have to carry out in order to asses the damage in the adhesive bond line? The thickness of the adhesive bond lie is like 0.3mm.
Thank you

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 785

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
08:41 Oct-11-2005
Re: Testing of thin adhesive bonds
Dear Abera,

try through-transmission technique. The portion that has suffered bond-damage will not allow efficient transmission. You need to establish the patterns using known defect standards. I can help you if needed.

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Im working on ultrasnic test of impact damaged adhesively bonded composites.I have tried pulse -ecdho method.THis method suffers sensitivity to test the adhesive layer,because the bond line thickness is too thin.Any body who has an idea about what altranative test I have to carry out in order to asses the damage in the adhesive bond line? The thickness of the adhesive bond lie is like 0.3mm.
: Thank you
------------ End Original Message ------------

Rajesh
R & D
Apex Research Technologies, United Kingdom, Joined Sep 2005, 1

Rajesh

R & D
Apex Research Technologies,
United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2005
09:24 Oct-12-2005
Dear Abera,

There are many other techniques for testing disbonding in layered structures. For selection of suitable technique for your application following additonal information will be required:

- type of composite you are testing(glass or carbon)
- thickness of the upper composite layer
- type of adhesive

Thanks.

: Dear Abera,
: try through-transmission technique. The portion that has suffered bond-damage will not allow efficient transmission. You need to establish the patterns using known defect standards. I can help you if needed.
: Swamy
: : Im working on ultrasnic test of impact damaged adhesively bonded composites.I have tried pulse -ecdho method.THis method suffers sensitivity to test the adhesive layer,because the bond line thickness is too thin.Any body who has an idea about what altranative test I have to carry out in order to asses the damage in the adhesive bond line? The thickness of the adhesive bond lie is like 0.3mm.
: : Thank you

Simon Amallraja
Simon Amallraja
03:10 Oct-12-2005
: Dear Abera,
: There are many other techniques for testing disbonding in layered structures. For selection of suitable technique for your application following additonal information will be required:
: - type of composite you are testing(glass or carbon)
: - thickness of the upper composite layer
: - type of adhesive
: Thanks.
:
: : Dear Abera,
: : try through-transmission technique. The portion that has suffered bond-damage will not allow efficient transmission. You need to establish the patterns using known defect standards. I can help you if needed.
: : Swamy
: : : Im working on ultrasnic test of impact damaged adhesively bonded composites.I have tried pulse -ecdho method.THis method suffers sensitivity to test the adhesive layer,because the bond line thickness is too thin.Any body who has an idea about what altranative test I have to carry out in order to asses the damage in the adhesive bond line? The thickness of the adhesive bond lie is like 0.3mm.
: : : Thank you

Contact Mr. Chris Kirby of NDT Solutions. You can try thier website for Rapidscan Model, which can help you on this application.
www.ndtsolutions.com

Also you can contact Mr. Neeraj Bhardwaj of Ultran Group ( www.ultran.com), they do it with Non Contact UT (NCU)method.
Both are interesting for Composite applications.

D.Simon Amallraja.

Product Spotlight

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window