where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Testing of thin adhesive bonds
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FI Test- und Messtechnik GmbH

00:55 Oct-09-2005
abera
Testing of thin adhesive bonds

Im working on ultrasnic test of impact damaged adhesively bonded composites.I have tried pulse -ecdho method.THis method suffers sensitivity to test the adhesive layer,because the bond line thickness is too thin.Any body who has an idea about what altranative test I have to carry out in order to asses the damage in the adhesive bond line? The thickness of the adhesive bond lie is like 0.3mm.
Thank you

08:41 Oct-11-2005

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: Testing of thin adhesive bonds Dear Abera,

try through-transmission technique. The portion that has suffered bond-damage will not allow efficient transmission. You need to establish the patterns using known defect standards. I can help you if needed.

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Im working on ultrasnic test of impact damaged adhesively bonded composites.I have tried pulse -ecdho method.THis method suffers sensitivity to test the adhesive layer,because the bond line thickness is too thin.Any body who has an idea about what altranative test I have to carry out in order to asses the damage in the adhesive bond line? The thickness of the adhesive bond lie is like 0.3mm.
: Thank you
------------ End Original Message ------------

09:24 Oct-12-2005

Rajesh

R & D
Apex Research Technologies,
United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2005
Re: Testing of thin adhesive bonds Dear Abera,

There are many other techniques for testing disbonding in layered structures. For selection of suitable technique for your application following additonal information will be required:

- type of composite you are testing(glass or carbon)
- thickness of the upper composite layer
- type of adhesive

Thanks.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Abera,
: try through-transmission technique. The portion that has suffered bond-damage will not allow efficient transmission. You need to establish the patterns using known defect standards. I can help you if needed.
: Swamy
: : Im working on ultrasnic test of impact damaged adhesively bonded composites.I have tried pulse -ecdho method.THis method suffers sensitivity to test the adhesive layer,because the bond line thickness is too thin.Any body who has an idea about what altranative test I have to carry out in order to asses the damage in the adhesive bond line? The thickness of the adhesive bond lie is like 0.3mm.
: : Thank you

03:10 Oct-12-2005
Simon Amallraja
Re: Testing of thin adhesive bonds ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Abera,
: There are many other techniques for testing disbonding in layered structures. For selection of suitable technique for your application following additonal information will be required:
: - type of composite you are testing(glass or carbon)
: - thickness of the upper composite layer
: - type of adhesive
: Thanks.
:
: : Dear Abera,
: : try through-transmission technique. The portion that has suffered bond-damage will not allow efficient transmission. You need to establish the patterns using known defect standards. I can help you if needed.
: : Swamy
: : : Im working on ultrasnic test of impact damaged adhesively bonded composites.I have tried pulse -ecdho method.THis method suffers sensitivity to test the adhesive layer,because the bond line thickness is too thin.Any body who has an idea about what altranative test I have to carry out in order to asses the damage in the adhesive bond line? The thickness of the adhesive bond lie is like 0.3mm.
: : : Thank you

Contact Mr. Chris Kirby of NDT Solutions. You can try thier website for Rapidscan Model, which can help you on this application.
www.ndtsolutions.com

Also you can contact Mr. Neeraj Bhardwaj of Ultran Group ( www.ultran.com), they do it with Non Contact UT (NCU)method.
Both are interesting for Composite applications.

D.Simon Amallraja.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|