where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
The art of discussions
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:23 Jun-08-1999

Christian Grosse

Teacher,
Technische Universität München,
Germany,
Joined Nov 2000
The art of discussions

I am writing in response to the comments of Mr. William Streett posted to the NDT forum in the past few weeks, but this contribution is more general so I did not repost it to a certain message. As Rolf Diederichs stated in the introduction to this months forum, if he would "... gave awards for best answers, winners would be Tom Nelligan or Ed Ginzel both are champions! "
I suggest to give the award to Mr. Streett. His answers are always very interesting. For those who did not follow up his contributions, here are some exaples:

To Alex Gibson, 5/21/1999 :
Those engaged in research on impact-echo could benefit from the extensive work done by Professor Sansalone and her colleagues, rather than attempting to reinvent the method.

To Camille Colla, 5/12/1999 :
The article by Colla, et al. is filled with so much misinformation that one hardly knows where to begin ...

Instead of taking the time to learn what is already known ...

They clearly do not understand how the choice of equipment ...

They readily fit the description of unskilled and uninformed operators ...

... has been ignored in the BAM-Berlin article.

To get serious: If someone has arguments against posted articles and think that its contribution to the forum is usefull for others I recomment to stick very close to the scientific details. This is a good tradition in the scientific community and it is even more important in the era of electronic publishing using the internet.
Considering that some of the forum readers with a poor expertise in english (including myself) will not understand the - lets say - enthusiasm of Mr. Streett regarding impact-echo, the scientific content in the sentences citated above is even harder to understand. There is no need to ride a personal attack against somebody else even if there is a dispute in a certain field of application.

Related to the scientific content of Mr. Streett's contributions I want to point out that there is still a lot of work to do in the field of impact-echo techniques. It is undoubtful that not all problems are yet solved especially regarding certain applications. The acceptance of a NDT method is not only influenced by the expertise of the applicators. I am glad about every scientist who is willing to share the results of impact-echo measurements and who gives details about measurement techniques and equipment. Reviewing the research in similar fields in the past it becomes obvious, that a method is developed much faster and more efficient if some different research groups with different equipment are working on theory and applications. Sometimes there are more benefits using own equipment than using the black-box equipment of a comercial manufacturer, but I agree that a company representative may have another opinion ;-)

Sorry, for my lengthy non-scientific contribution - maybe this is the time to come back to research and some concise discussions about it.

01:53 Jun-09-1999

Michael Trinidad

Consultant, API 510 570 & 653
Marine Inspection Service Pty Ltd (MIS),
Australia,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: The art of discussions On the other hand the beauty of this particular site is that participating authors answer posted questions in a pertinent, precise yet they can deliver the information in basic terminology.

Most posts stimulate discussion and discussions provide an invaluable learning tool and I have collected some interesting bits of information which I file away for future reference.

I hope the forum stays the same, a site where questions can be asked by beginners or scientists and anything in between and worded in a fashion all can benefit from.

Kind Regards

Michael Trinidad

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|