where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Tecnatom
Tecnatom has more than 50 years of experience providing services, equipment and systems devoted to NDT testing in several sectors and markets.

Technical Discussions
Kim
Kim
07:47 Nov-10-2005
X-Ray of Aluminium pipe butt-welds

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and havent done any rad since about 1985, Please can any bombers help me with some info on this:

I need to know the following:

1 How to calculate "Diagnostic Film Length" on a
radiograph??
2 On O/D pipe of 6" (DWSI) & above my contractor should be
using 2 xIQI`s, am i correct ??
3 Paper screens instead of lead ??
4 Contractor is using Agfa structurix D7 with X-Ray - I
requested D4 For better resolution - I seem to remember
for stainless we always used this so why not for AL ??
5 Contractor is using ASTM wire type but he does not know
the wire thickness in order to calculate sensitivity.
6 Welders are using a SS Non fusible backing insert band,
how does this affect calculating the sensitivity.
7 Any help with exposure times, KV & Ma & SFD's settings for
varying dia and wt (I used to have a note book which i
recorded everything - If only !!!!)

I am on an Island project in mexico and the contractor is the only local one and he has bombed 20 butts from 3" - 36" with varying degrees of success. I hold an interp cert and used to be a bomber many yrs ago so I can understand his position. he's never been asked to X-Ral Al here before so he is trying his best. I would rather work with him to find acceptable quality graphs instead of bringing another contractor in.
Any help on this matter from experienced rad techs would be greatly appreciated.

best regards,

kim

Collin Mal
Collin Mal
09:30 Nov-11-2005
Re: X-Ray of Aluminium pipe butt-welds
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi all,
: I am new to this forum and havent done any rad since about 1985, Please can any bombers help me with some info on this:
: I need to know the following:
: 1 How to calculate "Diagnostic Film Length" on a
: radiograph??
: 2 On O/D pipe of 6" (DWSI) & above my contractor should be
: using 2 xIQI`s, am i correct ??
: 3 Paper screens instead of lead ??
: 4 Contractor is using Agfa structurix D7 with X-Ray - I
: requested D4 For better resolution - I seem to remember
: for stainless we always used this so why not for AL ??
: 5 Contractor is using ASTM wire type but he does not know
: the wire thickness in order to calculate sensitivity.
: 6 Welders are using a SS Non fusible backing insert band,
: how does this affect calculating the sensitivity.
: 7 Any help with exposure times, KV & Ma & SFD's settings for
: varying diaand wt (I used to have a note book which i
: recorded everything - If only !!!!)
: I am on an Island project in mexico and the contractor is the only local one and he has bombed 20 butts from 3" - 36" with varying degrees of success. I hold an interp cert and used to be a bomber many yrs ago so I can understand his position. he's never been asked to X-Ral Al here before so he is trying his best. I would rather work with him to find acceptable quality graphs instead of bringing another contractor in.
: Any help on this matter from experienced rad techs would be greatly appreciated.
: best regards,
: kim
------------ End Original Message ------------
1. Go to codal requirements in pipe code as Asme 5 etc
2. 1 min if DWS
3. yes
4. D7 no problem as "X" D7 is very sensitive
5. Use ASTM wire IQI for AL and then go to ASME 5 charts
6. Backing bar is not permanent and is not included in calculation.
7. Too many to list but 100Kv x 3.75Ma x 22 seconds at 1 meter SFD is a start.

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Spot weld inspection with Phased Array – PHAsis.one

The first PAUT spot weld inspection device offering a physical resolution of the spot weld diamete
r better than 0.35mm. Precise: more than 700 real UT measurements per spot weld. Easy to go: minimal training required due to the user friendly inspection software. Be sure: safe evaluation due to the imaging result display and automated creation of an evaluation proposal for the spot weld quality.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s