where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Conductivity Measurement of Steel
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:28 Nov-30-2005
Keith
Conductivity Measurement of Steel

Greetings

I have been approached by a steel rolling company who require conductivity measurement of some of their products.

Does anyone know of specific equipment that I can source as well as techniques or procedures that I should use?

Regards,

Keith

01:52 Dec-02-2005
Changqing Lee
Re: Conductivity Measurement of Steel It depends since you talk about steel.
Usually, conductivity measurements are done by eddy current conductivity gauge for non-magnetic metals. But for steel, it is magnetic and the relative permeability might vary depending on the manufacturing factors. And permeabiliy affects eddy-current measurements a lot. So it is a challenging task for eddy current measurements.

I think the most possible soultion is the DCPD(direct current potential drop) measurements, which is also called four-point measurements. The beautiful part of applying DCPD method is that it does not depend on permeability of steel. So it can be used for magnetic metals.

Google for four-point measurement instrument or DCPD, you should find several manufacturers and talk to them for further information.

Hope this will help.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Greetings
: I have been approached by a steel rolling company who require conductivity measurement of some of their products.
: Does anyone know ofspecific equipment that I can source as well as techniques or procedures that I should use?
: Regards,
: Keith
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|