where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
eddy current testing.....
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:55 Jan-27-2006

gowrishankar

R & D, scientist
ISRO,
India,
Joined Nov 2008
eddy current testing.....

Sir
I want to simulate an artificial defect/flaw by eddy current method by using a single coil. Now my problem is " To simulate i require data like coil dimensions, core of the coil and its properties etc to calculate the impedance value corresponding to the defect. so can some one provide me some useful literatue/journal papers/references for better understanding of my problem
thank you

06:14 Jan-27-2006
Theodoros Theodoulidis
Re: eddy current testing.....
Google with "TEAM workshop problem 15" and you will find the description and data for the eddy current problem you need to simulate. Apart from No.15, Problem No.8 is also relevant.

Theodoros

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Sir
: I want to simulate an artificial defect/flaw by eddy current method by using a single coil. Now my problem is " To simulate i require data like coil dimensions, core of the coil and its properties etc to calculate the impedance value corresponding to the defect. so can some one provide me some useful literatue/journal papers/references for better understanding of my problem
: thank you
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:45 Jan-27-2006
Changqing Lee
Re: eddy current testing..... According to your post, it seems that you dont know what to use for simulation.

First, I think you should decide which numerical method to use, such as finite element method or boundary element method or others. Then you should decide whether to use commercial software for simulation? Since FEMLAB, ANSYS, FluxPDE and other software are available for simuation easily, you can buy and use them for your work.

If you want to practice, then program you own code. It absolutely takes a long time and needs more effort.

I dont know what kind of defect you want to simulate with a single coil. Actually, I did quite experiments with eddy current testing. So I can tell me that using a bobbin coil for your simulation is fine. At least it is fine for your practice.
For example, the inner diameter of the coil r1 can be set to 1mm, outer diameter of the coil r2 can be set to 2mm, the hight of the coil can be set to 1mm, and the liftoff of the coil can be set to 0.5mm or 0.2mm. The turns of the coil n can be set to100. The core of the coil can be set to be ferrimagnetic, with ur=200 or bigger. Or it can be an air core. It does not matter for understanding your problem. The driven frequency can be set to 1MHz.

I should say all the parameters I set work for surface or subsurface cracks and flaw. For deep flaws, a bigger coil should be used.

That is my understanding of eddy current testing. Hope it helps.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Sir
: I want to simulate an artificial defect/flaw by eddy current method by using a single coil. Now my problem is " To simulate i require data like coil dimensions, core of the coil and its properties etc to calculate the impedance value corresponding to the defect. so can some one provide me some useful literatue/journal papers/references for better understanding of my problem
: thank you
------------ End Original Message ------------

03:23 Jun-18-2006
Ikesh Patel
Re: eddy current testing..... Can you please tell me in detail that what type of material you want to inspect and with what type of artificial defects, so that I may provide you specific information.
Thanks.
Ikesh Patel.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|