where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

YXLON Copenhagen
YXLON Copenhagen is a highly specialized, award winning Danish company with 60 years of experience in portable X-ray solutions for industrial NDT.
Technical Discussions
Jack Johnson
Engineering
USA, Joined Feb 2006, 2

Jack Johnson

Engineering
USA,
Joined Feb 2006
08:54 Feb-01-2006
UT probe

Hey, Everyone,

Could you please tell me how to make a UT probe? I want to make one for my project. Thanks.

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1287

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
03:58 Feb-01-2006
Re: UT probe
Jack:
you can see the components on the ndt.net lexicon
http://www.ndt.net/article/az/ut_idx.htm
I suggest you purchase a pre-poled element and not try making one yourself. Get one with the leads already mounted so you do not destroy the element as you try soldering on the leads with improper heat input. I do not know if you have a prerequisite for frequency but try starting off with something under 4MHz as the thicker units are more robust. After that it is just figuring out how you want to hold the parts in place and the sort of housing you will use. If your application is rudimentary then no need for a protective front face.
Have fun!
Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hey, Everyone,
: Could you please tell me how to make a UT probe? I want to make one for my project. Thanks.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Jack Johnson
Engineering
USA, Joined Feb 2006, 2

Jack Johnson

Engineering
USA,
Joined Feb 2006
05:44 Feb-02-2006
Ed,
Thank you very much for your kind reply.
Could you please help me with two more questions? Where do you recommend for buying a pre-poled element? What kind of backing material for the PZT active element?

: Jack:
: you can see the components on the ndt.net lexicon
: http://www.ndt.net/article/az/ut_idx.htm
: I suggest you purchase a pre-poled element and not try making one yourself. Get one with the leads already mounted so you do not destroy the element as you try soldering on the leads with improper heat input. I do not know if you have a prerequisite for frequency but try starting off with something under 4MHz as the thicker units are more robust. After that it is just figuring out how you want to hold the parts in place and the sort of housing you will use. If your application is rudimentary then no need for a protective front face.
: Have fun!
: Ed
:
: : Hey, Everyone,
: : Could you please tell me how to make a UT probe? I want to make one for my project. Thanks.

Eduardo Moreno
R & D, -
ICIMAF, Cuba, Joined Aug 2005, 4

Eduardo Moreno

R & D, -
ICIMAF,
Cuba,
Joined Aug 2005
00:35 Feb-17-2006
I recomend a PZT-5 from Morgan Matroc. Try with a 2 Mhz piezoceramic 25 mm diameter. A backing material can be made with epoxy resin with tungsten power. Connect two wires with a solder at the two faces of the ceramic and use a copper tube as a housing, with a BNC connector. Then it is important to make a front layer of a quarter of wavelength and to put an inductance in paralell with the wires. With a flaw detector adjust the inductance and the front layer, in order to obtain the best echo. The layer could be made with epoxig resin (AY103 with the hardering, or similar)
Best regards
eduardo moreno

: Ed,
: Thank you very much for your kind reply.
: Could you please help me with two more questions? Where do you recommend for buying a pre-poled element? What kind of backing material for the PZT active element?
:
: : Jack:
: : you can see the components on the ndt.net lexicon
: : http://www.ndt.net/article/az/ut_idx.htm
: : I suggest you purchase a pre-poled element and not try making one yourself. Get one with the leads already mounted so you do not destroy the element as you try soldering on the leads with improper heat input. I do not know if you have a prerequisite for frequency but try starting off with something under 4MHz as the thicker units are more robust. After that it is just figuring out how you want to hold the parts in place and the sort of housing you will use. If your application is rudimentary then no need for a protective front face.
: : Have fun!
: : Ed
: :
: : : Hey, Everyone,
: : : Could you please tell me how to make a UT probe? I want to make one for my project. Thanks.

Product Spotlight

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

UCI Hardness Tester NOVOTEST T-U2

UCI hardness tester NOVOTEST T-U2 is is used for non-destructive hardness testing of: metals and
alloys by scales of hardness: Rockwell (HRC), Brinell (HB), Vickers (HV); non-ferrous metals, alloys of iron etc., and using five additional scales for calibration; with tensile strength (Rm) scale determines the tensile strength of carbon steel pearlitic products by automatic recalculation from Brinell (HB) hardness scale.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window