where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT probe
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:54 Feb-01-2006

Jack Johnson

Engineering
USA,
Joined Feb 2006
UT probe

Hey, Everyone,

Could you please tell me how to make a UT probe? I want to make one for my project. Thanks.

03:58 Feb-01-2006

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT probe Jack:
you can see the components on the ndt.net lexicon
http://www.ndt.net/article/az/ut_idx.htm
I suggest you purchase a pre-poled element and not try making one yourself. Get one with the leads already mounted so you do not destroy the element as you try soldering on the leads with improper heat input. I do not know if you have a prerequisite for frequency but try starting off with something under 4MHz as the thicker units are more robust. After that it is just figuring out how you want to hold the parts in place and the sort of housing you will use. If your application is rudimentary then no need for a protective front face.
Have fun!
Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hey, Everyone,
: Could you please tell me how to make a UT probe? I want to make one for my project. Thanks.
------------ End Original Message ------------

05:44 Feb-02-2006

Jack Johnson

Engineering
USA,
Joined Feb 2006
Re: UT probe Ed,
Thank you very much for your kind reply.
Could you please help me with two more questions? Where do you recommend for buying a pre-poled element? What kind of backing material for the PZT active element?

: Jack:
: you can see the components on the ndt.net lexicon
: http://www.ndt.net/article/az/ut_idx.htm
: I suggest you purchase a pre-poled element and not try making one yourself. Get one with the leads already mounted so you do not destroy the element as you try soldering on the leads with improper heat input. I do not know if you have a prerequisite for frequency but try starting off with something under 4MHz as the thicker units are more robust. After that it is just figuring out how you want to hold the parts in place and the sort of housing you will use. If your application is rudimentary then no need for a protective front face.
: Have fun!
: Ed
:
: : Hey, Everyone,
: : Could you please tell me how to make a UT probe? I want to make one for my project. Thanks.

00:35 Feb-17-2006

Eduardo Moreno

R & D, -
ICIMAF,
Cuba,
Joined Aug 2005
Re: UT probe I recomend a PZT-5 from Morgan Matroc. Try with a 2 Mhz piezoceramic 25 mm diameter. A backing material can be made with epoxy resin with tungsten power. Connect two wires with a solder at the two faces of the ceramic and use a copper tube as a housing, with a BNC connector. Then it is important to make a front layer of a quarter of wavelength and to put an inductance in paralell with the wires. With a flaw detector adjust the inductance and the front layer, in order to obtain the best echo. The layer could be made with epoxig resin (AY103 with the hardering, or similar)
Best regards
eduardo moreno

: Ed,
: Thank you very much for your kind reply.
: Could you please help me with two more questions? Where do you recommend for buying a pre-poled element? What kind of backing material for the PZT active element?
:
: : Jack:
: : you can see the components on the ndt.net lexicon
: : http://www.ndt.net/article/az/ut_idx.htm
: : I suggest you purchase a pre-poled element and not try making one yourself. Get one with the leads already mounted so you do not destroy the element as you try soldering on the leads with improper heat input. I do not know if you have a prerequisite for frequency but try starting off with something under 4MHz as the thicker units are more robust. After that it is just figuring out how you want to hold the parts in place and the sort of housing you will use. If your application is rudimentary then no need for a protective front face.
: : Have fun!
: : Ed
: :
: : : Hey, Everyone,
: : : Could you please tell me how to make a UT probe? I want to make one for my project. Thanks.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|