where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:54 Jun-26-1999

Preetham Kumar .S

Student
Hindustan College of Engineering, Chennai,
India,
Joined Oct 1999
Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement

I am student doing my instrumentation engineering. I am planning to design an ultrasonic distance measuring device and would be greatful if anyone could help me out by giving suitable information regarding the same. I would like to have details such as circuit diagrams, components required etc.

09:12 Jun-28-1999
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Heinz
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement : I am student doing my instrumentation engineering. I am planning to design an ultrasonic distance measuring device and would be greatful if anyone could help me out by giving suitable information regarding the same. I would like to have details such as circuit diagrams, components required etc.

One possibility would be the use of a TDC-circuit (time-to-digital converter). Such a circuit is e.g.
available from acam (acam-messelectronic GmbH, Haid und Neu-Str. 7, D-76131 Karlsruhe, Germany, Phone 0049 721 / 9663706, FAX 0049 721 / 9663708, order-code TDC-GP1). This circuit converts the time difference of two trigger pulses into a digital value, what can be used to calculate the time
off flight of the ultrasound pulse and convert them to the distance value. A pulse generator for sending an ultrasonic pulse gives the first trigger pulse. A comparator circuit which compares the
received ultrasound pulse with a trigger level gives the second trigger pulse for the TDC.
There are also experimental circuits available from POLAROID, which works with the electrostatic POLAROID ultrasonic transducer (see on internet page http://www.polaroid-oem.com/american/new/6500series.htm and http://www.polaroid-oem.com/american/new/ultrasonicrange.htm

07:27 Jun-28-1999

Linas Svilainis

R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology,
Lithuania,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement : I am student doing my instrumentation engineering. I am planning to design an ultrasonic distance measuring device and would be greatful if anyone could help me out by giving suitable information regarding the same. I would like to have details such as circuit diagrams, components required etc.

You can try Airmar kit:
http://www.airmar.com/text/txultra/txultra.htm
Or Quality Kits(some explanatory text might be of some use too):
http://www.qkits.com/public/qkits/qay60.htm
The most essential part is ultrasonic transducer - the beam width, sensitivity, central frequency determine the
range.
The environment conditions (noise, attenuation - I believe you are designing for air?) are determining the choice for signals.
Usually it's a sine wave (CW) burst, or short spike (for small distances).
Sometimes more complicated signals (e.g. Barker, MLS sequences etc.) are used, but usually these require more complicated processing.
The second important part of the system is the exciting generator-up to 400V sometimes are required to battle the SNR.
The simplest schematics for generator can be single MOSFET stage.
Not last importance is receiver's amplifier+filter, which for simplest design can carry classical design, except special protection circuitry
if same transducer is used for both transmission and reception of signal.
The time-of-flight measuring circuit can be designed up to your phantasy. Simplest case is represented by timer, counting the stable oscillator
pulses within a time interval between the sent and received pulse arrival.

good luck

Linas

01:49 Jul-25-2000
Grant Harbor
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement I was suprised to find your web site as I am a 4th year engineer studying at the University of Cape Town, South Africa and am at the moment doing my thesis. I am trying to contruct and utrasonic distance measuring device to measure the amount of fuel left in the tanks below service stations.
I was wondering if you had any information that would be useful to me. I am assuming that you have completed you project. Thanks Grant

09:52 Oct-12-2000
Sura Atmaja
Ultrasonic Distance measurement with 8031
I am student doing my instrumentation engineering. I am planning to design an ultrasonic distance measuring device using microcontroler MCS-51. I want to used 3 sensor ultrasonics: left receiver, central transmitter/receiver, and right receiver. I want
to used time of flight method. I would like to have details such as circuit diagrams, components required etc.
Could you help me, please ?
Please, give me the information about that include the
hardware and software.

06:24 Dec-04-2000
Afrizon
Re: Need Circuit and block diagram for Ultrasonic of metal thickness : : I am student doing my instrumentation engineering. I am planning to design an ultrasonic of metal thickness measurement. I use transduser 2Mhz or 4Mhz. The instrument can measur iron and alluminium : thickness up 65 mm. measuring device and would be greatful if anyone could help me out by giving suitable information regarding the same. I would like to have details such as circuit diagrams, components required etc.
I use Time OF fligt method.
thanks

Note :
My adrress :
Afrizon
Jl Titiran Dalam I Gg 4 No21
Bandung-West Java
Indonesia

00:44 May-03-2001
marc
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement hi martin
we are also in need of circuits and other information relating to ultra sonic distance measuring. we are building a robot for final year project (Potchefstroom University, South-Africa). any help will be appreciated.
marc

07:46 May-23-2001
terry chee
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement I'm not clear in this title, i had doing some project about ultrasonic. can u sent some circuit to me?

08:40 Jul-10-2001
babak
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement hi martin
i hope you are ok.
would you please send me a schemitic of ultrasonic distance measurement.
thank you for your kindness.

babak

09:09 Aug-07-2001
cony
Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement I am student doing my instrumentation engineering. I am planning to design an ultrasonic distance measuring device and would be greatful if anyone could help me out by giving suitable information regarding the same. I would like to have details such as circuit diagrams, components required etc.

if you are having please help me

06:20 Aug-08-2001
Electronics Engineer (NDT Company)
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement In regards to the "student" who is designing an ultrasonic distance measuring device. I don't quite understand the question. If you really are a student of electronics, you might be better off asking for technical references instead. A student engineer should be able to come up with their own circuitry for the device in question.

If you are trying to build an ultrasonic measuring device then you should read up on the pricinples of ultrasonics. Once you understand how the theory works, you will be better off "starting" to come up with your own circuit. Now I certainly do not believe in re-inventing the wheel, so do a search on the internet for UT circuits.

You will need to understand how a pulser/reciever plays a role in UT. How the crystals/transducers interact with the pulser. Is this going to be a digital signal or analog? If digital, then you would need a digitizer. What is the interface medium? Is this measuring metal? Are you going to be coupled to the metal? I know this does not seem like much help, but if you truly are trying to "design" a system then please re-phrase your questions to ask for technical references instead of someone elses circuits.

Best of luck with your project.

04:40 Aug-22-2001
juan carlos cerquera enciso
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement I am student doing my instrumentation engineering. I am planning to design an ultrasonic distance measuring device and would be greatful if anyone could help me out by giving suitable information regarding the same. I would like to have details such as circuit diagrams, components required etc.
: if you are having please help me

01:01 Oct-20-2001
gerune gloria
i need your help to have a traffic light circuit diagram for my project i hope you can help me, in my project im using a NAND Gate, OR Gate, AND Gate , inverter and FliFlop for my project in Logic Circuits entitled " Traffic Light Circuit Diagram ".. hope that you can help me.. thank you

07:13 Feb-21-2002
Angelo Maranta
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement Im developing a anti car highjacking system,
and need some type of warnig system if a high jacker is aproching from the rear!
Range 1-4 meters
Circuit must be cost effective

01:50 Feb-21-2002

Linas Svilainis

R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology,
Lithuania,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement : Im developing a anti car highjacking system,
: and need some type of warnig system if a high jacker is aproching from the rear!
: Range 1-4 meters
: Circuit must be cost effective

I would suggest using microwave doppler sensor. We can design & supply such if you need
Ultrasound inside car is complicated to get reliable response to motion.
If you need 1-4m this means outside.
I would not recomment ultrasound in such case.

04:07 Sep-12-2002
javad
Re: Need Circuit and block diagram for Ultrasonic of metal thickness I am student doing my instrumentation engineering. I am planning to design an ultrasonic distance meter ,that uses ic # (icm7224)with ultrasonic sensors without any programmable ic,,,please can u send me the schematic circuit and how its function,,,and would be greatful if anyone could help me out by giving suitable information regarding the same. I would like to have details such as circuit diagrams, components required etc.
: my email is:::: rhasanat@yahoo.com

00:54 Sep-17-2002

Rajesh Gupta

R & D
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi,
India,
Joined Feb 2002
Re: i need your help to have a traffic light circuit diagram for my project : : i hope you can help me, in my project im using a NAND Gate, OR Gate, AND Gate , inverter and FliFlop for my project in Logic Circuits entitled " Traffic Light Circuit Diagram ".. hope that you can help me.. thank you
: jamal
hi
I have made this circuit. you can get complete circuit and other details from my web page: www.geocities.com/rgupta_iitd/publications.html
I hope it will be very useful for you

Rajesh

05:39 Nov-27-2006
saravanan
Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement I am student doing my electronic engineering. I am planning to design an ultrasonic distance measuring device and would be greatful if anyone could help me out by giving suitable information regarding the same. I would like to have details such as circuit diagrams, components required etc. i hope you can help me.

08:21 Feb-04-2007
saurabh kulkarni
Re: Need Circuit for Ultrasonic Distance measurement hi i am saurabh. i am doing project on ultrasonics distance measurement
can u help me

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|