where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
RT of thin sheet welds
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:19 Mar-06-2006

S S Ananthan

Consultant,
RAA Tech Solutions,
India,
Joined Jun 2000
RT of thin sheet welds

Hello,

I have been asked to take radiographs of thin sheet SS welds - 0.5 mm and above. Is there any requirement for RT of such a low thickness ? Will not a hydrotest adn PT be sufficiient for this purpose ?

Is there any standard for RT of such thin sheets ? What would be the possible sensitivity acheivable in X rays ?

S S Ananthan

02:47 Mar-06-2006
Fred
Re: RT of thin sheet welds ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello,
: I have been asked to take radiographs of thin sheet SS welds - 0.5 mm and above. Is there any requirement for RT of such a low thickness ? Will not a hydrotest adn PT be sufficiient for this purpose ?
: Is there any standard for RT of such thin sheets ? What would be the possible sensitivity acheivable in X rays ?
: S S Ananthan
------------ End Original Message ------------

What would you use for penetrameters?

00:08 Mar-16-2006

S S Ananthan

Consultant,
RAA Tech Solutions,
India,
Joined Jun 2000
Re: RT of thin sheet welds ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hello,
: : I have been asked to take radiographs of thin sheet SS welds - 0.5 mm and above. Is there any requirement for RT of such a low thickness ? Will not a hydrotest adn PT be sufficiient for this purpose ?
: : Is there any standard for RT of such thin sheets ? What would be the possible sensitivity acheivable in X rays ?
: : S S Ananthan
: What would you use for penetrameters?
------------ End Original Message ------------

We can use wire penetrameters - whatever is the minimum diameter available. The sensitiuvity will not be definitely 2% but at least some testing is possible .
My question : 1) Is RT required ? 2) Is any standard available for such requirements?

S S Ananthan

00:05 Mar-17-2006
Jaromir A. Masa, PhD
Re: RT of thin sheet welds
The main question is, why they require x-ray testing. What will flow inside? And how the tin sheet weld seam will be stressed. I remember, in chemical industry, the tubes with liquid ethylene were 100% x-rayed. Stress was in cryogenic temperatures. When you speak about hydro a pressure testing, it is clear, it concerns low-dia tubes. Another question are the dimensions of allowable flaws.

Jaromir Amadeus Masa
Starmans Electronics Ltd
Prague

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|