where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
David Lloyd
David Lloyd
05:11 Mar-08-2006
CO2 Cylinders

I am looking for methods of measuring the contents of CO2 storage cylinders used in fire fighting installations. Isotropic measurement has been mentioned in various web resources, but can't find details of how this is applied. Can anyone point me in the right direction or suggest other alternative techniques.

Ovidiu Iuga
NDT Inspector, thermography
ISCIR, Romania, Joined Dec 2005, 16

Ovidiu Iuga

NDT Inspector, thermography
ISCIR,
Romania,
Joined Dec 2005
07:53 Mar-09-2006
Re: CO2 Cylinders
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for methods of measuring the contents of CO2 storage cylinders used in fire fighting installations. Isotropic measurement has been mentioned in various web resources, but can't find details of how this is applied. Can anyone point me in the right direction or suggest other alternative techniques.
------------ End Original Message --------
You should try Infrared Termography.This is a good method for testing fluid containt in closed containers. It's used in petrochem apllications, and not only. Check on www.flir.com, or www.termoviziune.ro, or www.termografie.ro.
Regards,
O.Iuga

John Brunk
Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 161

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
01:26 Mar-09-2006
: : I am looking for methods of measuring the contents of CO2 storage cylinders used in fire fighting installations. Isotropic measurement has been mentioned in various web resources, but can't find details of how this is applied. Can anyone point me in the right direction or suggest other alternative techniques.
: ------------ End Original Message --------
: You should try Infrared Termography.This is a good method for testing fluid containt in closed containers. It's used in petrochem apllications, and not only. Check on www.flir.com, or www.termoviziune.ro, or www.termografie.ro.
: Regards,
: O.Iuga
------------ End Original Message ------------

If you are certain the cylinders contain C02 and want to know how much, this can be done with a contact ultrasonic test at relatively low frequency. It might have to be through-transmission for larger diameter cylinders. The velocity of ultrasound through the gas varies with the gas pressure. You can easily determine the cylinder ID from the wall thickness and the OD. You would need to determine a calibration for pressure vs time-of-flight. I believe NDT Systems sold some instruments and transducers for this purpose several years ago, and might be able to give you more information. Try www.ndtsystems.com

Trevor East
Trevor East
01:40 Mar-09-2006
The thermographic method works well when the cylinder has been operated recently. The evaporation cools the liquid CO2 and the surface of the fluid shows as a well defined temperature change on the outside of the cylinder.
Do you want this test as a periodic measurement or as a full time on line monitor? There are thermally sensitive strips sold for domestic propane cylinders that show the fluid surface as a colour change. These would work for CO2 as well and could be attached to every cylinder. For example see http://www.drypak.com/index.asp?cat=109078

Mark Potter
R & D
Sonemat Ltd., United Kingdom, Joined Sep 2007, 7

Mark Potter

R & D
Sonemat Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Sep 2007
00:17 Mar-10-2006

: If you are certain the cylinders contain C02 and want to know how much, this can be done with a contact ultrasonic test at relatively low frequency. It might have to be through-transmission for larger diameter cylinders. The velocity of ultrasound through the gas varies with the gas pressure. You can easily determine the cylinder ID from the wall thickness and the OD. You would need to determine a calibration for pressure vs time-of-flight. I believe NDT Systems sold some instruments and transducers for this purpose several years ago, and might be able to give you more information. Try www.ndtsystems.com

There is also a refinement to this technique where you can calibrate out the velocity of sound in the liquid by using omni-directional transducers and comparing the arrival times of ultrasonic waves that have taken different paths. Please contact me it you want more details.

Mark.

Neil Burleigh
Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd, Australia, Joined Dec 2002, 158

Neil Burleigh

Sales
Krautkramer Australia Pty Ltd,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2002
01:58 Mar-12-2006
The acoustic properties of carbon dioxide make it very difficult using conventional UT to try and obtain reproducible results for level measurement of CO2 in gas cylinders.
A company in the USA produced a UT device which worked very well and our Australian Navy used it.
It is from Cemetron Fire Systems the Cali 2000A. I was able to get a price from Badger Fire Protection.

Regards

Neil Burleigh

: : If you are certain the cylinders contain C02 and want to know how much, this can be done with a contact ultrasonic test at relatively low frequency. It might have to be through-transmission for larger diameter cylinders. The velocity of ultrasound through the gas varies with the gas pressure. You can easily determine the cylinder ID from the wall thickness and the OD. You would need to determine a calibration for pressure vs time-of-flight. I believe NDT Systems sold some instruments and transducers for this purpose several years ago, and mightbe able to give you more information. Try www.ndtsystems.com
: There is also a refinement to this technique where you can calibrate out the velocity of sound in the liquid by using omni-directional transducers and comparing the arrival times of ultrasonic waves that have taken different paths. Please contact me it you want more details.
: Mark.

Product Spotlight

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window