where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Joerg Neubert
Joerg Neubert
09:50 Mar-10-2006
PT: Reasons for affecting application at stainless steel for use in high-purity surrounding

Ladies and gentlemen,
I want to know if anyone knows reasons not to apply PT for surface testing of welds at stainless steel for the use in a research affair (high-purity surrounding). Our costumer is not willing to allow the use of PT, he is convinced that it is not possible to clean the surface perfectly with no residua.
Can anyone confirm that position? I think dye penetrants are to be removed with no residua.
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Joerg.

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
07:28 Mar-11-2006
Re: PT: Reasons for affecting application at stainless steel for use in high-purity surrounding
Dear Joerg,

A high purity environement will probably get affected adversely by the application of the dye, cleaner and the developer (the air quality could adversely get affected). Cleaning the surface thoroughly also involves extensive use of volatile organic solvents which could again adversely affect the air quality. A welded surface could have some rough patches which could trap the dye and the developer. If ultrasonic cleaning is not feasible, it is certainly possible to have some residue left.

So, it is possible that a PT may not be indicated in some special environments.

With best wishes,

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Ladies and gentlemen,
: I want to know if anyone knows reasons not to apply PT for surface testing of welds at stainless steel for the use in a research affair (high-purity surrounding). Our costumer is not willing to allow the use of PT, he is convinced that it is not possible to clean the surface perfectly with no residua.
: Can anyone confirm that position? I think dye penetrants are to be removed with no residua.
: Any comments appreciated.
: Thanks in advance, Joerg.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

I&T Nardoni

NDT, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW METHODOLOGY, TRAINING CENTER I&T NARDON INSTITUTE was idiated
in 1988 by Giuseppe Nardoni, now president and owner of the company, based on his multi-annual and international experience in the field of NDT.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window