where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
PT: Reasons for affecting application at stainless steel for use in high-purity surrounding
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

TWI
TWI is a global leader in technology engineering providing research and consultancy to its members in the field of materials and selection, joining, inspection, NDT and structural integrity management.

09:50 Mar-10-2006
Joerg Neubert
PT: Reasons for affecting application at stainless steel for use in high-purity surrounding

Ladies and gentlemen,
I want to know if anyone knows reasons not to apply PT for surface testing of welds at stainless steel for the use in a research affair (high-purity surrounding). Our costumer is not willing to allow the use of PT, he is convinced that it is not possible to clean the surface perfectly with no residua.
Can anyone confirm that position? I think dye penetrants are to be removed with no residua.
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Joerg.

07:28 Mar-11-2006

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: PT: Reasons for affecting application at stainless steel for use in high-purity surrounding Dear Joerg,

A high purity environement will probably get affected adversely by the application of the dye, cleaner and the developer (the air quality could adversely get affected). Cleaning the surface thoroughly also involves extensive use of volatile organic solvents which could again adversely affect the air quality. A welded surface could have some rough patches which could trap the dye and the developer. If ultrasonic cleaning is not feasible, it is certainly possible to have some residue left.

So, it is possible that a PT may not be indicated in some special environments.

With best wishes,

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Ladies and gentlemen,
: I want to know if anyone knows reasons not to apply PT for surface testing of welds at stainless steel for the use in a research affair (high-purity surrounding). Our costumer is not willing to allow the use of PT, he is convinced that it is not possible to clean the surface perfectly with no residua.
: Can anyone confirm that position? I think dye penetrants are to be removed with no residua.
: Any comments appreciated.
: Thanks in advance, Joerg.
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|