where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
pH sensor/probe
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Hillger Ing. Büro
was founded in 1984 and develops special ultrasonic imaging systems for high-tech materials.

06:24 Mar-29-2006
Richard
pH sensor/probe

Right now, it appears that every pH sensor/probe I find requires a solution to take a reading. My problem is that in the early stages, there will be no moisture present, but may develop over time. I am looking for a sensor/probe I can put in place when the system is constructed and leave it to take periodic readings over an extended time period. The material I am working with is steel.

Am I up a creek or is there a pH probe/sensor that will perform whether or not it is in a solution?

02:27 Mar-29-2006

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: pH sensor/probe A strange problem indeed.
pH is a log scale that measures the acidity of alkalinity of a "solution" according to Oxford Science dictionary. It is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per cubic decimetre. Ions are usually in solution so your problem may be a "sticky wicket".

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Right now, it appears that every pH sensor/probe I find requires a solution to take a reading. My problem is that in the early stages, there will be no moisture present, but may develop over time. I am looking for a sensor/probe I can put in place when the system is constructed and leave it to take periodic readings over an extended time period. The material I am working with is steel.
: Am I up a creek or is there a pH probe/sensor that will perform whether or not it is in a solution?
------------ End Original Message ------------

02:48 Apr-04-2006
Ethan
Re: pH sensor/probe I have experience in designing/making ion selective probes. pH is the measurement of the Hydrogen ion activity in solution, for solutions that are less than one Molar in concentration.

You are trying to take the pH reading of a solid? Maybe we can help you solve this a different way. Could you please describe why you need this reading and we can help you work it another way?

Best Regards,
e

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|