where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Richard
Richard
06:24 Mar-29-2006
pH sensor/probe

Right now, it appears that every pH sensor/probe I find requires a solution to take a reading. My problem is that in the early stages, there will be no moisture present, but may develop over time. I am looking for a sensor/probe I can put in place when the system is constructed and leave it to take periodic readings over an extended time period. The material I am working with is steel.

Am I up a creek or is there a pH probe/sensor that will perform whether or not it is in a solution?

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1219

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
02:27 Mar-29-2006
Re: pH sensor/probe
A strange problem indeed.
pH is a log scale that measures the acidity of alkalinity of a "solution" according to Oxford Science dictionary. It is a measure of the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per cubic decimetre. Ions are usually in solution so your problem may be a "sticky wicket".

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Right now, it appears that every pH sensor/probe I find requires a solution to take a reading. My problem is that in the early stages, there will be no moisture present, but may develop over time. I am looking for a sensor/probe I can put in place when the system is constructed and leave it to take periodic readings over an extended time period. The material I am working with is steel.
: Am I up a creek or is there a pH probe/sensor that will perform whether or not it is in a solution?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Ethan
Ethan
02:48 Apr-04-2006
Re: pH sensor/probe
I have experience in designing/making ion selective probes. pH is the measurement of the Hydrogen ion activity in solution, for solutions that are less than one Molar in concentration.

You are trying to take the pH reading of a solid? Maybe we can help you solve this a different way. Could you please describe why you need this reading and we can help you work it another way?

Best Regards,
e

Product Spotlight

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

NozzleScan: Radial nozzle scanner with probe skew

NozzleScan is a versatile manual scanning solution developed for the inspection of nozzle welds in
both set-through and set-on configurations. Available in both two-axis and three-axis instrument configurations and adaptable to cover a wide range of 90-degree nozzle sizes, from 3" upwards, on ferritic and austenitic materials.The transducer skew axis can also be adjusted, encoded and locked.
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

IK4-IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque technology centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system
for the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s