where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Need a flaw detector for NDT inspection of ship propeller
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Canadian Institute for NDE
We are specialized in training for Radiography, Ultrasonics, Magnetic Particle, Liquid Penetrant, Eddy Current and emerging NDT technologies.

02:01 Apr-11-2006

Nguyen Tuan

NDT Inspector
Vietnam,
Joined Apr 2006
Need a flaw detector for NDT inspection of ship propeller

Hi all,

Our company manufacture ship propellers. Propellers ard made from Cu alloy by die casting. Thickness of wing propeller from 3cm to 20 cm. We want to inspection flaws such as porosity. We have use Ultasonic flaw detector to inspection but it was so slow. UT method only inspection with less than 4cm areas only.

We are looking to buy a Flaw detector can detect flaws such above application with high speed inspection.

Please kindly show me which method is suitable with our application?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon

03:46 Apr-12-2006
Ed
Re: Need a flaw detector for NDT inspection of ship propeller ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi all,
: Our company manufacture ship propellers. Propellers ard made from Cu alloy by die casting. Thickness of wing propeller from 3cm to 20 cm. We want to inspection flaws such as porosity. We have use Ultasonic flaw detector to inspection but it was so slow. UT method only inspection with less than 4cm areas only.
: We are looking to buy a Flaw detector can detect flaws such above application with high speed inspection.
: Please kindly show me which method is suitable with our application?
: Looking forward to hearing from you soon
------------ End Original Message ------------

Why don't you try X-Ray?

07:01 Apr-13-2006

Jukka Hakala

Director, NDT-Advisor EN Level 3
NDT-Team Oy,
Finland,
Joined Oct 2004
Re: Need a flaw detector for NDT inspection of ship propeller ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi all,
: : Our company manufacture ship propellers. Propellers ard made from Cu alloy by die casting. Thickness of wing propeller from 3cm to 20 cm. We want to inspection flaws such as porosity. We have use Ultasonic flaw detector to inspection but it was so slow. UT method only inspection with less than 4cm areas only.
: : We are looking to buy a Flaw detector can detect flaws such above application with high speed inspection.
: : Please kindly show me which method is suitable with our application?
: : Looking forward to hearing from you soon
: Why don't you try X-Ray?

If the geometry is suitable I suggest x-ray imaging with using digital flat panel. Exposuring time is short and you can analyse the image directly from computer screen.

00:27 Apr-13-2006

Rizwan S Choudhry

Student, PhD
The University of Manchester,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jun 2005
Re: Need a flaw detector for NDT inspection of ship propeller peace & blessings
X-ray Tomography can be good but depending on the level of information you require the time can vary from few mins to few hours.
I suggest you should look at the following links for further info
1. Chapter4 of the report which u can download from
http://www.geocities.com/rizwan_saeed/Abstract.html

just scroll to the bottom of the page to get a link to report.
2. Stock, S.R., X-ray microtomography of materials. Int Mater Rev, 1999. 44(4):p. 141– 164.

rizwan

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : Hi all,
: : : Our company manufacture ship propellers. Propellers ard made from Cu alloy by die casting. Thickness of wing propeller from 3cm to 20 cm. We want to inspection flaws such as porosity. We have use Ultasonic flaw detector to inspection but it was so slow. UT method only inspection with less than 4cm areas only.
: : : We are looking to buy a Flaw detector can detect flaws such above application with high speed inspection.
: : : Please kindly show me which method is suitable with our application?
: : : Looking forward to hearing from you soon
: : Why don't you try X-Ray?
: If the geometry is suitable I suggest x-ray imaging with using digital flat panel. Exposuring time is short and you can analyse the image directly from computer screen.

00:53 Apr-13-2006
Grzegorz Latarowski
Re: Need a flaw detector for NDT inspection of ship propeller Hi Nguyen,

I suggest You to contact our company directly if You want a specialized application. Our company is manufacturing Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with specialized equipments such as ultrasonic scanners and also specialized investigating methods.

Please don't hesitate ask further questions through my email.

We can prepare a special offer for a discussion.

Best regards,
Grzegorz Latarowski
gl.ultrasonic@home.pl
http://ultrasonic.home.pl/

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi all,
: Our company manufacture ship propellers. Propellers ard made from Cu alloy by die casting. Thickness of wing propeller from 3cm to 20 cm. We want to inspection flaws such as porosity. We have use Ultasonic flaw detector to inspection but it was so slow. UT method only inspection with less than 4cm areas only.
: We are looking to buy a Flaw detector can detect flaws such above application with high speed inspection.
: Please kindly show me which method is suitable with our application?
: Looking forward to hearing from you soon

04:19 Apr-13-2006
Norman A. Woodward
: peace & blessings
: X-ray Tomography can be good but depending on the level of information you require the time can vary from few mins to few hours.
: I suggest you should look at the following links for further info
: 1. Chapter4 of the report which u can download from
: http://www.geocities.com/rizwan_saeed/Abstract.html
: just scroll to the bottom of the page to get a link to report.
: 2. Stock, S.R., X-ray microtomography of materials. Int Mater Rev, 1999. 44(4):p. 141– 164.
: rizwan
: : : : Hi all,
: : : : Our company manufacture ship propellers. Propellers ard made from Cu alloy by die casting. Thickness of wing propeller from 3cm to 20 cm. We want to inspection flaws such as porosity. We have use Ultasonic flaw detector to inspection but it was so slow. UT method only inspection with less than 4cm areas only.
: : : : We are looking to buy a Flaw detector can detect flaws such above application with high speed inspection.
: : : : Please kindly show me which method is suitable with our application?
: : : : Looking forward to hearing from you soon
: : : Why don't you try X-Ray?
: : If the geometry is suitable I suggest x-ray imaging with using digital flat panel. Exposuring time is short and you can analyse the image directly from computer screen.

Radiography would be your best bet, but shooting through 20cm of Cu will require at least a 2 Mev apparatus or a Co source. This will involve, besides the cost of new equipment, the moving the part to a highly shielded/isolated location.

The good news is that using the mentioned digital flat panels, or computed radiography plates, should give you adequate sensitivity at relatively short exposure time, in comparison to film, and at a fraction of the cost.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|