where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Mobile-Friendly Implementation in Progress

Technical Discussions
Paul Moore
Paul Moore
04:45 Apr-11-2006
Water in Pipe-in-Pipe

I was recently asked if I knew of a method to determine if any water was present in the outer cylinder of a sub-sea pipe-in-pipe flowline. My answer was no. Hence my post.

I realize that it is a very broad question, and there likely is no practical answer.

Considerations:

The inner pipe is fully flooded.
Between the inner and outer pipe there are insulation material, waterstops and centralizers (i.e. no internal access).
Consider the area of concern (between the inner and outer pipe) as not fully flooded.

A measurement of the water that may be present is not required. Just a confirmation that there is water present or not.

Any thoughts or comments (or solutions!) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1212

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
04:01 Apr-12-2006
Re: Water in Pipe-in-Pipe
Paul:
I have worked on several projects where water content of pipe was required assessed or where detection of an object within a pipe filled with water was required.

If the outer surface of the pipe is suitable to use a UT probe there may be a hope of SOME form of assessment if the pipe is in the horizontal plane, i.e. the water has collected at the bottom of the outer pipe in the annulus gap. If the gap is filled with water then it can be used to transmit sound across the annulus and you could monitor for the inner pipe indication (lots of gain and sufficient range is required).
But this assumes that the lining insulation is lossy enough that it does not transmit the sound too and get confused with water (although this would be localised and water found over a more general region). Hopefully the insulation will displace the water and not mix as that too could cause some interpretation problems.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I was recently asked if I knew of a method to determine if any water was present in the outer cylinder of a sub-sea pipe-in-pipe flowline. My answer was no. Hence my post.
: I realize that it is a very broad question, and there likely is no practical answer.
: Considerations:
: The inner pipe is fully flooded.
: Between the inner and outer pipe there are insulation material, waterstops and centralizers (i.e. no internal access).
: Consider the area of concern (between the inner and outer pipe) as not fully flooded.
: A measurement of the water that may be present is not required. Just a confirmation that there is water present or not.
: Any thoughts or comments (or solutions!) would be greatly appreciated.
: Thanks,
: Paul
:
------------ End Original Message ------------

The New veo+ And DAAH DLA PA Package For Stainless Steel Weld Testing Is Now Available!
The good sizing capability of a 7.5MHz DAAH DLA probe paired with the superior capabilities of
Sonatest Ltd
5 Showcases 2 Videos

GEKKO, Standard and Advanced phased-array for Easier inspection
With a 64-channel parallel architecture, GEKKO is a flaw detector offering at the same time
M2M
5 Showcases 5 Videos

Immersion systems
ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in
ScanMaster Systems (IRT) Ltd.
5 Showcases 5 Videos Product Video

PACE - Portable ACFM Inspection
As new industrial sectors have discovered the benefits of using ACFM®, the demand for a more
TSC
5 Showcases 5 Videos

More Showcases

Share...

We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window