where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Mohiuddin
Mohiuddin
03:22 Apr-15-2006
IR-192 for High Thickness

Did anybody used Ir-192 for steel thickness in the range of 76 mm weldment? If so can you pls tell me how good was the quality. If you have a special technique in this regard pls help me.

regards
Khaja

Daniel H Rice
Daniel H Rice
08:04 Apr-16-2006
Re: IR-192 for High Thickness
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Did anybody used Ir-192 for steel thickness in the range of 76 mm weldment? If so can you pls tell me how good was the quality. If you have a special technique in this regard pls help me.
: regards
: Khaja
------------ End Original Message ------------
I have used IR192 in situations up to 3 inches of steel and stainless.
Exposure times increase tremendously, how ever you must consider that the "object" as described in astm E94 increases in thickness. To acheive a good films. Exposure, you must increase "Object to source" distance. faster films help but you loose contrast, i have used rare earth screens and Photo senstive films like the medical industry and .015 copper filters placed between the object and the film but not in contact with the film.Then placed a rare earth screen incontact with the film. Using this method i halfed the exposure time, and pulled .01t at a ug of .020in.
Experiment there are many products that can speed your exposure time and keep your quality high

John Brunk
Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 160

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
07:22 Apr-17-2006
Re: IR-192 for High Thickness
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Did anybody used Ir-192 for steel thickness in the range of 76 mm weldment? If so can you pls tell me how good was the quality. If you have a special technique in this regard pls help me.
: regards
: Khaja
------------ End Original Message ------------

In my experience this is close to the upper limit for radiography with a 100 curie Ir-192 source. Exposure times can certainly be very long, and keeping the source and film stable can be a problem if there is a possibility of vibration or shocks in the area. However, both image sharpeness and contrast are notably better than with Co-60. If you are able to use solid-state radiography instead of film that will shorten the exposure time a lot. It is a good idea to perform ultrasonic examination in addition to radiography. I have had the experience of repairing a defect found during initial radiography with Co-60, then when the repair region was re-inspected finding additional defects with both Ir-192 and ultrasonic testing.

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window