where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes designs, develops and manufactures nearly 30 years a complete NDT range of products in eddy current and ultrasonic testing methods.

Technical Discussions
Mohiuddin
Mohiuddin
03:22 Apr-15-2006
IR-192 for High Thickness

Did anybody used Ir-192 for steel thickness in the range of 76 mm weldment? If so can you pls tell me how good was the quality. If you have a special technique in this regard pls help me.

regards
Khaja

Daniel H Rice
Daniel H Rice
08:04 Apr-16-2006
Re: IR-192 for High Thickness
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Did anybody used Ir-192 for steel thickness in the range of 76 mm weldment? If so can you pls tell me how good was the quality. If you have a special technique in this regard pls help me.
: regards
: Khaja
------------ End Original Message ------------
I have used IR192 in situations up to 3 inches of steel and stainless.
Exposure times increase tremendously, how ever you must consider that the "object" as described in astm E94 increases in thickness. To acheive a good films. Exposure, you must increase "Object to source" distance. faster films help but you loose contrast, i have used rare earth screens and Photo senstive films like the medical industry and .015 copper filters placed between the object and the film but not in contact with the film.Then placed a rare earth screen incontact with the film. Using this method i halfed the exposure time, and pulled .01t at a ug of .020in.
Experiment there are many products that can speed your exposure time and keep your quality high

John Brunk
Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 158

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
07:22 Apr-17-2006
Re: IR-192 for High Thickness
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Did anybody used Ir-192 for steel thickness in the range of 76 mm weldment? If so can you pls tell me how good was the quality. If you have a special technique in this regard pls help me.
: regards
: Khaja
------------ End Original Message ------------

In my experience this is close to the upper limit for radiography with a 100 curie Ir-192 source. Exposure times can certainly be very long, and keeping the source and film stable can be a problem if there is a possibility of vibration or shocks in the area. However, both image sharpeness and contrast are notably better than with Co-60. If you are able to use solid-state radiography instead of film that will shorten the exposure time a lot. It is a good idea to perform ultrasonic examination in addition to radiography. I have had the experience of repairing a defect found during initial radiography with Co-60, then when the repair region was re-inspected finding additional defects with both Ir-192 and ultrasonic testing.

Product Spotlight

X-ray CT aids research into defect formation in AM parts

X-ray CT is used to research how additive manufacturing process parameters influence defect format
ion in AM parts.
>

Digital Radiography for Concrete Inspection

In the construction industry (buildings, bridges) there is a need for fast non- destructive means,
most commonly to locate targets (Pipes, Re-bars, Conduit, Fittings etc.) within concrete structures prior to drilling, cutting or coring. Measuring reinforcements is also performed for static calculations and to detect corrosion problems and damages. Cracks and voids can also be visualized. The examinations are not only restricted to concrete constructions; they can also be applied to reinforced masonry made of natural stones or bricks.
>

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s