where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Subsea Crack Detection by ROV
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes designs, develops and manufactures nearly 30 years a complete NDT range of products in eddy current and ultrasonic testing methods.

08:23 May-05-2006
Stuart Ogilvie
Subsea Crack Detection by ROV

I am looking for any information, websites or companies that may deal with subsea crack detection using a ROV. I am aware of ACFM techniques, which detect surface cracking, but would like to confirm if there is an NDT technique available that can detect fatigue cracking at the weld root of a subsea component. Are there any reliable UT probes that can do this by ROV?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

08:42 May-08-2006
Simon Amallraja
Re: Subsea Crack Detection by ROV ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for any information, websites or companies that may deal with subsea crack detection using a ROV. I am aware of ACFM techniques, which detect surface cracking, but would like to confirm if there is an NDT technique available that can detect fatigue cracking at the weld root of a subsea component. Are there any reliable UT probes that can do this by ROV?
: Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Contact Mr. Jorgen Dam of Force Technology of Denmark, who are the Manufacturer's of P Scan, which is suitable for the application you have asked for.

www.force.dk

D.Simon Amallraja.

01:40 Jul-01-2006

Peter Philipp

Consultant
PQS,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jan 2002
Re: Subsea Crack Detection by ROV Guided waves can be used to find these cracks.

It is not an easy application and may need reference to a "good" weld as a fingerprint but it is possible.

We have equipment available and experience with both ROV and diver deployed tesing.

For more info and contact details see www.guided-ultrasonics.com

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for any information, websites or companies that may deal with subsea crack detection using a ROV. I am aware of ACFM techniques, which detect surface cracking, but would like to confirm if there is an NDT technique available that can detect fatigue cracking at the weld root of a subsea component. Are there any reliable UT probes that can do this by ROV?

03:37 Jul-02-2006
Manfred Ronald Richter
Re: Subsea Crack Detection by ROV See www.force.dk, they have some experience in underwater UT inspection through ROV.

03:19 Jul-03-2006

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
Re: Subsea Crack Detection by ROV Peter,

Creeping Waves are very effective for detecting OD connected (and ID) cracks like Fatigue cracks

Also, I have developed some techniques using Phased Arrays with Creeping waves.

Both conventional and Phased Arrays are very effective for cracks with a depth of .005 inches in depth. S/N ratio of about 8 to 10 to 1.

Sincerely,

J. Mark Davis

: Guided waves can be used to find these cracks.
: It is not an easy application and may need reference to a "good" weld as a fingerprint but it is possible.
: We have equipment available and experience with both ROV and diver deployed tesing.
: For more info and contact details see www.guided-ultrasonics.com
: : I am looking for any information, websites or companies that may deal with subsea crack detection using a ROV. I am aware of ACFM techniques, which detect surface cracking, but would like to confirm if there is an NDT technique available that can detect fatigue cracking at the weld rootof a subsea component. Are there any reliable UT probes that can do this by ROV?
: : Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

04:35 Jul-04-2006
John Turner
Re: Subsea Crack Detection by ROV ----------- Start Original Message -----------
We have recently been involved in two subsea projects which involved us designing and manufacturing ultrasonic sensors to operate at enormous depths.

One project was to do with pipeline monitoring which required using sensors to withstand 2,000m of depth, while the other (completely different) project was the location of stiffeners on the deck of the sunken 'Prestige' Oil Tanker at 4,000m depth prior to removal of the remaining oil in 2004. The (immersion-type) transducers were scanned over the deck using a RoV and had to detect very small signals in B-scan mode. The digital signals were then transfered to the survey ship using well-known comms protocols.

The probes could stay at these depths for long periods and only experienced a 1 or 2 dB drop in sensitivity over the depth range 0 to 4,000m.

We have the capability to apply this technology to other types of subsea inspection using different transducer designs.

Phoenix ISL also make a wide range ofshear and compression wave probes for manual or automated testing at shallower depths and we have also done a lot of work on the use of creeping waves for OD and ID crack detection using both phased arrays and conventional probes.

Two papers were presented at the recent BINDT Advanced NDT mini-conference on both the subsea and creeping wave work.

04:56 Jan-23-2007
celebrex+information
hello http://gaythrills.my-top.net/social-security-administration-change-of-address.html

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|