where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

WesDyne International (AMDATA Products)
WesDyne is an engineering and technical services firm dedicated to providing standard and custom nondestructive examinations (NDE) products and systems
Technical Discussions
wave
wave
08:08 May-31-2006
ask

Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?

Jeff Medford
NDT Inspector
Nucor Steel, USA, Joined Apr 2005, 6

Jeff Medford

NDT Inspector
Nucor Steel,
USA,
Joined Apr 2005
08:32 Jun-06-2006
Re: ask
It very basic!!! As you get closer to the edge of a test material you eddy current field is compressed in turn increasing your resisitance. In turn that effects your impedence point. Simple. I have performed numerous inspection while having some sort of edge effect. It is no where written that is a follow practice but it is done. As long as you know the effects playing on your inspection. Your good. Just kidding stick to the proceedures and you can go wrong

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Thomas Murphy
NDT Inspector
USA, Joined Jul 2000, 16

Thomas Murphy

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Jul 2000
05:23 Jun-08-2006
Re: ask
Is this really true? I would think that the inductive reactance would increase, increasing the impedance. Maybe someone could tell me why I am wrong. The coil parameters are presumed not to have changed. Any help would be appreciated.
Tom

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It very basic!!! As you get closer to the edge of a test material you eddy current field is compressed in turn increasing your resisitance. In turn that effects your impedence point. Simple. I have performed numerous inspection while having some sort of edge effect. It is no where written that is a follow practice but it is done. As long as you know the effects playing on your inspection. Your good. Just kidding stick to the proceedures and you can go wrong
: : Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

Echomac® Small

Available with up to eight channels of electronics to detect and evaluate thickness, flaws and eccen
tricity, this UT tester is housed in a convenient, smaller cabinet. This instrument can be used in conjunction with bubbler or immersion tank systems, or with a test bench or in laboratory applications. The Echomac® Small is available in the FD4, FD6 or FD6A versions.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window