where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonatest Ltd
From our three distinct business centres in the UK, USA and CANADA, Sonatest design and produce a leading range of high performance ultrasonic NDT equipment and accessories.

Technical Discussions
wave
wave
08:08 May-31-2006
ask

Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?

Jeff Medford
NDT Inspector
Nucor Steel, USA, Joined Apr 2005, 6

Jeff Medford

NDT Inspector
Nucor Steel,
USA,
Joined Apr 2005
08:32 Jun-06-2006
Re: ask
It very basic!!! As you get closer to the edge of a test material you eddy current field is compressed in turn increasing your resisitance. In turn that effects your impedence point. Simple. I have performed numerous inspection while having some sort of edge effect. It is no where written that is a follow practice but it is done. As long as you know the effects playing on your inspection. Your good. Just kidding stick to the proceedures and you can go wrong

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Thomas Murphy
NDT Inspector
USA, Joined Jul 2000, 16

Thomas Murphy

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Jul 2000
05:23 Jun-08-2006
Re: ask
Is this really true? I would think that the inductive reactance would increase, increasing the impedance. Maybe someone could tell me why I am wrong. The coil parameters are presumed not to have changed. Any help would be appreciated.
Tom

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It very basic!!! As you get closer to the edge of a test material you eddy current field is compressed in turn increasing your resisitance. In turn that effects your impedence point. Simple. I have performed numerous inspection while having some sort of edge effect. It is no where written that is a follow practice but it is done. As long as you know the effects playing on your inspection. Your good. Just kidding stick to the proceedures and you can go wrong
: : Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Echomac® PA Rail Wheel Tester

MAC introduces two versions of Rail Wheel Testers using ECHOMAC® PA platform based on customer requ
irements.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window