where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
wave
wave
08:08 May-31-2006
ask

Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?

Jeff Medford
NDT Inspector
Nucor Steel, USA, Joined Apr 2005, 6

Jeff Medford

NDT Inspector
Nucor Steel,
USA,
Joined Apr 2005
08:32 Jun-06-2006
Re: ask
It very basic!!! As you get closer to the edge of a test material you eddy current field is compressed in turn increasing your resisitance. In turn that effects your impedence point. Simple. I have performed numerous inspection while having some sort of edge effect. It is no where written that is a follow practice but it is done. As long as you know the effects playing on your inspection. Your good. Just kidding stick to the proceedures and you can go wrong

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Thomas Murphy
NDT Inspector
USA, Joined Jul 2000, 16

Thomas Murphy

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Jul 2000
05:23 Jun-08-2006
Re: ask
Is this really true? I would think that the inductive reactance would increase, increasing the impedance. Maybe someone could tell me why I am wrong. The coil parameters are presumed not to have changed. Any help would be appreciated.
Tom

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It very basic!!! As you get closer to the edge of a test material you eddy current field is compressed in turn increasing your resisitance. In turn that effects your impedence point. Simple. I have performed numerous inspection while having some sort of edge effect. It is no where written that is a follow practice but it is done. As long as you know the effects playing on your inspection. Your good. Just kidding stick to the proceedures and you can go wrong
: : Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

CIVA 2017 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

Webinar: FMC & Advanced Focusing Techniques for Improved Ultrasonic Inspections

Phased array ultrasound is now a commonly accepted inspection technology. Now there is excitement ar
ound new techniques in Phased Array: Full Matrix Capture (FMC) & Total Focusing Method (TFM). Our webinar on December 5 & 6 will illustrate how these techniques, implemented on a TOPAZ64 instrument, can improve the results of existing inspections. Register today.
>

35 years of VOGT Ultrasonics!

This year we are celebrating a company anniversary! 35 years have passed since we first took our t
est device and swung the probe on behalf of safety. But our ultrasonic know-how goes back many years..
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s