where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ask
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

FOMA Bohemia Ltd.
FOMA Bohemia is a traditional producer of industrial radiographic films INDUX and related accessories.

08:08 May-31-2006
wave
ask

Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?

08:32 Jun-06-2006

Jeff Medford

NDT Inspector
Nucor Steel,
USA,
Joined Apr 2005
Re: ask It very basic!!! As you get closer to the edge of a test material you eddy current field is compressed in turn increasing your resisitance. In turn that effects your impedence point. Simple. I have performed numerous inspection while having some sort of edge effect. It is no where written that is a follow practice but it is done. As long as you know the effects playing on your inspection. Your good. Just kidding stick to the proceedures and you can go wrong

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

05:23 Jun-08-2006

Thomas Murphy

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Jul 2000
Re: ask Is this really true? I would think that the inductive reactance would increase, increasing the impedance. Maybe someone could tell me why I am wrong. The coil parameters are presumed not to have changed. Any help would be appreciated.
Tom

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It very basic!!! As you get closer to the edge of a test material you eddy current field is compressed in turn increasing your resisitance. In turn that effects your impedence point. Simple. I have performed numerous inspection while having some sort of edge effect. It is no where written that is a follow practice but it is done. As long as you know the effects playing on your inspection. Your good. Just kidding stick to the proceedures and you can go wrong
: : Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|