where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
wave
wave
08:08 May-31-2006
ask

Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?

Jeff Medford
NDT Inspector
Nucor Steel, USA, Joined Apr 2005, 6

Jeff Medford

NDT Inspector
Nucor Steel,
USA,
Joined Apr 2005
08:32 Jun-06-2006
Re: ask
It very basic!!! As you get closer to the edge of a test material you eddy current field is compressed in turn increasing your resisitance. In turn that effects your impedence point. Simple. I have performed numerous inspection while having some sort of edge effect. It is no where written that is a follow practice but it is done. As long as you know the effects playing on your inspection. Your good. Just kidding stick to the proceedures and you can go wrong

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Thomas Murphy
NDT Inspector
USA, Joined Jul 2000, 16

Thomas Murphy

NDT Inspector
USA,
Joined Jul 2000
05:23 Jun-08-2006
Re: ask
Is this really true? I would think that the inductive reactance would increase, increasing the impedance. Maybe someone could tell me why I am wrong. The coil parameters are presumed not to have changed. Any help would be appreciated.
Tom

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: It very basic!!! As you get closer to the edge of a test material you eddy current field is compressed in turn increasing your resisitance. In turn that effects your impedence point. Simple. I have performed numerous inspection while having some sort of edge effect. It is no where written that is a follow practice but it is done. As long as you know the effects playing on your inspection. Your good. Just kidding stick to the proceedures and you can go wrong
: : Whoever can explain "Edge effect" in eddy current inspection for me?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Extended Range Variable Wall® Piping Calibration Blocks for Longseam Inspection

This set of two blocks has been specially designed for situations where ultrasonic examination tak
es place circumferentially or “around the curve” for applications such as inspection of longseam welds in piping and vessels. Jointly designed by PH Tool and Holloway NDT, the blocks feature side-drilled hole reflectors positioned within novel compound-curves, each with multiple thickness steps. The unique design results in a light and compact form factor, with the largest block weighing just over 15 lbs and spanning just 16 ¾”. Coverage is provided for nominal pipe sizes from 6” to 10” in the small block and 12” to a whopping 56” in the large block. The compound OD curves and multiple wall thicknesses actually exceed ASME requirements, providing exceptional signal response and measurement accuracy. Properly managing beam divergence off the ID and stabilizing beam skew due to probe rocking is essential to maintaining a consistent calibration when inspecting lengthwise on curved surfaces.
>

CIVA 2020 UT Module

CIVA NDE Simulation Software is the world leader of NDT Simulation. The UT simulation Module incl
udes: - "Beam computation": Beam propagation simulation - "Inspection Simulation": Beam interaction with flaws or specimens The user can simulate a whole inspection process (pulse echo, tandem or TOFD) with a wide range of probes (conventional, Phased- arrays or EMAT), components, and flaws.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window