where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Craig Dobson
Craig Dobson
01:48 Aug-30-2006
Pulsed transducer for constant output

Hi, can anyone please tell me if I can use a pulsed transducer for constant output, and how I can calculate how much I will need to reduce power so it won't burn out?

Thanks,

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 517

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
09:00 Aug-31-2006
Re: Pulsed transducer for constant output
Simple answer is yes you can.
calculating the power is very difficult.

Most average sized transducers will take a watt or two 'average power' but how this corresponds to a specific voltage is tricky - the impedance of transducers near their resonant frequency can be quite erattic. Best drive with a (High Power) series resistor around 50 ohms and aim the voltage so that you have maybe one or two watts into an assumed 100 ohms.
(i.e max around 10 - 14 volts or so, if its genuinely continuous, maybe more if its only on for a few seconds)

All you can do after that is to see how much it warms up in practice.

How much power a transducer will take depends on how it is made, and how it is mounted (e.g if it is immersed it will obviously cool better)

You may get other issues from overheating (e.g. face separataion after long use - the ultrasonic cleaner effect}

Two caveats:

1. Dont expect it to last forever - dont use an expensive transducer

2. Apply a big common sense filter to everything - If its a small transducer it will take less power

Good luck

Joe

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, can anyone please tell me if I can use a pulsed transducer for constant output, and how I can calculate how much I will need to reduce power so it won't burn out?
: Thanks,
------------ End Original Message ------------

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1219

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
06:11 Aug-31-2006
Good advice Joe!
In my Schlieren studies I had need for a continuos wave (CW) output. The most convenient source was a simple signal generator operating at its maximum output (20Vpp). Although some heat generation can be expected I did not burn out any probes. This may have been at least in part due to the fact i was using them under water. The Signal Generator is an interesting tool to observe the effects of frequency tuning. You can observe the natural frequency (maximum output) and the effects of driving the probe "off-frequency".
Regards
Ed

: Simple answer is yes you can.
: calculating the power is very difficult.
: Most average sized transducers will take a watt or two 'average power' but how this corresponds to a specific voltage is tricky - the impedance of transducers near their resonant frequency can be quite erattic. Best drive with a (High Power) series resistor around 50 ohms and aim the voltage so that you have maybe one or two watts into an assumed 100 ohms.
: (i.e max around 10 - 14 volts or so, if its genuinely continuous, maybe more if its only on for a few seconds)
: All you can do after that is to see how much it warms up in practice.
: How much power a transducer will take depends on how it is made, and how it is mounted (e.g if it is immersed it will obviously cool better)
: You may get other issues from overheating (e.g. face separataion after long use - the ultrasonic cleaner effect}
: Two caveats:
: 1. Dont expect it to last forever - dont use an expensive transducer
: 2. Apply a big common sense filter to everything - If its a small transducer it will take less power
: Good luck
: Joe
:
:
: : Hi, can anyone please tell me if I can use a pulsed transducer for constant output, and how I can calculate how much I will need to reduce power so it won't burn out?
: : Thanks,

Craig Dobs
Craig Dobs
09:49 Sep-07-2006
: Hi, can anyone please tell me if I can use a pulsed transducer for constant output, and how I can calculate how much I will need to reduce power so it won't burn out?
: Thanks,

Hi, I just wanted to thank both Joe and Ed for answering my question and helping me with this. Thanks very much.

Product Spotlight

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Exertus Dual 120

The Exertus Dual 120 Projector has the ability to accept Iridium 192 sources or Selenium 75 source
s. This projector incorporates design and safety features that make it flexible, compact and lightweight. The Projector is lighter than most of its competitors. It incorporates an improved source channel, based on a new helicoidal design, which makes maintenance easier. The helicoidal design also allows smoother movement of the source assembly inside the device, making it easier for the operator and improving safety. The Projector also has a unique safety feature not found in competitive products. The source assembly locking mechanism is triggered by the source holder capsule at the front of the source assembly, thereby always assuring the operator that the source has returned to the safe position. The Exertus Dual 120 is ISO3999:2004 compliant.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s