where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Simon Griffin
Simon Griffin
05:47 Jul-27-1999
Air/gas transmission

'Gases are generally rather attenuating in the MHz range', Does anybody
have any tables or graphs representing this. After extensive searching
I cannot quantify this statement.

Regards

Simon Griffin B.Eng IoM

Wieslaw Bicz
Wieslaw Bicz
06:37 Jul-27-1999
Re: Air/gas transmission
: 'Gases are generally rather attenuating in the MHz range', Does anybody
: have any tables or graphs representing this. After extensive searching
: I cannot quantify this statement.

: Regards

: Simon Griffin B.Eng IoM

You can find some tables and graphs in Landold Börnstein: Molecular Acoustics or in older books (written about 1930).
It is difficult to find such data in newer books. If you are interested, I can send you the copies of such tables.

But you must know - if you will test sound propagation in air, it will be difficult to make reliable measurements with frequencies higher then about 2 MHz under
normal atmospheric condistions (without higner pressure). We have made some experiments with such frequencies and the results are not easy to compare.

You will need to find a good method for such measurements.

Sincerely

Robert (Rocky) A. Day
Engineering
Milky Way Jewels, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 40

Robert (Rocky) A. Day

Engineering
Milky Way Jewels,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
00:00 Jul-28-1999
Try to get Eric Ash's book 'Scanned Image Microscopy' and in is an article by Kumar Wickramasinghe and C. Petts on 'Gas Medium Acoustic Microscopy' with data as a function of pressure for several gases. Has some references that may also be useful. Their data goes to 40 MHz and 200 bars.

: 'Gases are generally rather attenuating in the MHz range', Does anybody
: have any tables or graphs representing this. After extensive searching
: I cannot quantify this statement.

: Regards

: Simon Griffin B.Eng IoM

Leon Vandervalk
R & D
DeFelsko Corporation, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 3

Leon Vandervalk

R & D
DeFelsko Corporation,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
08:11 Sep-02-1999
You may want to contact the folks at VN Instruments.
http://www.vninstruments.com
These guys have built some very impressive air coupled ultrasonic instrumentation. I've seen some of the experimental data generated using their gear and recall seeing attenuation plots...

: : 'Gases are generally rather attenuating in the MHz range', Does anybody
: : have any tables or graphs representing this. After extensive searching
: : I cannot quantify this statement.

: : Regards

: : Simon Griffin B.Eng IoM

: You can find some tables and graphs in Landold Börnstein: Molecular Acoustics or in older books (written about 1930).
: It is difficult to find such data in newer books. If you are interested, I can send you the copies of such tables.

: But you must know - if you will test sound propagation in air, it will be difficult to make reliable measurements with frequencies higher then about 2 MHz under
: normal atmospheric condistions (without higner pressure). We have made some experimentswith such frequencies and the results are not easy to compare.

: You will need to find a good method for such measurements.

: Sincerely

Product Spotlight

I&T Nardoni

NDT, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT OF NEW METHODOLOGY, TRAINING CENTER I&T NARDON INSTITUTE was idiated
in 1988 by Giuseppe Nardoni, now president and owner of the company, based on his multi-annual and international experience in the field of NDT.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection - YXLON FF35 CT

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection r
esults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window