where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Riser inspection
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

EXTENDE
EXTENDE, optimize your NDT inspections projects thanks to simulation.

08:08 Oct-18-2006
Azmi Hussain
Riser inspection

I am looking for a specialized NDT technique that is able to inspect risers and locate corrosion on the splash zone. The risers are internally cladded with inconel825 and externally coated with FBE + Poly Propylene. Does anybody knows or familiar with any technique that can do it?

08:01 Oct-18-2006

Richard Kazares

Director
All Points Equipment Co.,
USA,
Joined Jun 2007
Re: Riser inspection All Points Equipment Co. located in Houston and New Iberia, has specialized, high-speed equipment to inspect riser center pipe section as well as booster lines for corrosion at all locations. These tools are automated ultrasonic equipment capable of 100% surface inspection throughout each riser component - and inspect the riser from the inside WITH flotation in place (or removed - it doesn't matter).

I will contact you directly with more informaiton about the tools and their performance capabilities.

Richard Kazares

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for a specialized NDT technique that is able to inspect risers and locate corrosion on the splash zone. The risers are internally cladded with inconel825 and externally coated with FBE + Poly Propylene. Does anybody knows or familiar with any technique that can do it?
------------ End Original Message ------------

08:56 Oct-18-2006
Sunil N. Ramchandran
Re: Riser inspection Dear Azmi Hussain:

I sent you an email directly with some literature about the TesTex LFET (Low Frequency Electromagnetic Technique).

This technology is currently being applied in Alaska for the BP Pipeline Project. About 10+ years ago, LFET was approved for riser inspection by Exxon. Currently, LFET scanning is conducted from the Pipe OD.

www.testex-ndt.com

Regards.

08:32 Oct-21-2006

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Riser inspection ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am looking for a specialized NDT technique that is able to inspect risers and locate corrosion on the splash zone. The risers are internally cladded with inconel825 and externally coated with FBE + Poly Propylene. Does anybody knows or familiar with any technique that can do it?

Dear Azmi,
Guided Wave Ultrasonics is a technique which can be applied to the outside of the riser (or other pipework) and can then inspect for significant corrosion along the length of the pipe for many metres. In ideal conditions (good overland Gas pipeline with only epoxy coating on outside) ranges in excess of 150 metres are possible, but with corroded and coated pipework, the range will be significantly less.

Our sensors will require access to the bare metal of the pipe at one location only (above the splash zone), and once our low-cost sensors have been installed, the coating can be reinstated.
This means that the protection is not compromised, and we can re-test at any time by simply connecting up to the connectors left on the surface (or taken up onto the platform to a more accessibe location).

Some types of guided waves (longitudinal) will leak into liquid product causing reduced range and interfering and confusing signals, so if you are carrying oil, then make sure that anybody using Guided Waves does not use longitudinal waves. We use mostly torsional waves with our instrument.

I will be pleased to discuss this with you in more detail, and if appropriate, we can either sell the equipment or perform tests for you.

Godfrey Hands

07:50 Dec-04-2006
Azmir
Re: Riser inspection Azmi,

I would like to recommend you to used PEC. Pulse Eddy Current or Incotest.
This technique already have a track record of inspecting riser under Petronas Field. A combination of this technique with abseiling will definately
can carry out the work.

Rgds
Azmir

05:41 Dec-15-2006
Jim Yukes
Re: Riser inspection The IRISPig, an ultrasonic in-line inspection tool has been developed to measure wall thickness of risers from inside the pipe. I differentiates between ID and OD defects as well as between dents and corrosion. The tool is bi-directional. It is being used to inspect pipelines in the South China Sea.

: Azmi,
: I would like to recommend you to used PEC. Pulse Eddy Current or Incotest.
: This technique already have a track record of inspecting riser under Petronas Field. A combination of this technique with abseiling will definately
: can carry out the work.
: Rgds
: Azmir
: : I am looking for a specialized NDT technique that is able to inspect risers and locate corrosion on the splash zone. The risers are internally cladded with inconel825 and externally coated with FBE + Poly Propylene. Does anybody knows or familiar with any technique that can do it?

09:43 Dec-15-2006

Richard Kazares

Director
All Points Equipment Co.,
USA,
Joined Jun 2007
Re: Riser inspection This may have been mentioned before - but I'll submit a follow up to this.

I'm assuming that the riser joints in question are NOT ASSEMBLED - I.E. they are individually available for inspection and stored either vertically or horizontally.

If that is the case, All Points Equipment has Automated ultrasonic inspection systems for both the main tube and auxiliary lines - that can peform thickness readings (locating OD and ID thinning) over 100% (if required) of the riser surface area. Naturally less coverage can be programmed in if increase inspection speed is desired.

The output is a fully encoded C-Scan (with all UT and position information) with BOTH image and NUMERICAL data available in essentially real-time.

This equipment is now in its second generation design maturity and has been used both on and OFF-SHORRE - in Africa, Asia and South America (as well as N. America).

Please don't hesitate to contact me for additional information.

: The IRISPig, an ultrasonic in-line inspection tool has been developed to measure wall thickness of risers from inside the pipe. I differentiates between ID and OD defects as well as between dents and corrosion. The tool is bi-directional. It is being used to inspect pipelines in the South China Sea.
: : Azmi,
: : I would like to recommend you to used PEC. Pulse Eddy Current or Incotest.
: : This technique already have a track record of inspecting riser under Petronas Field. A combination of this technique with abseiling will definately
: : can carry out the work.
: : Rgds
: : Azmir
: : : I am looking for a specialized NDT technique that is able to inspect risers and locate corrosion on the splash zone. The risers are internally cladded with inconel825 and externally coated with FBE + Poly Propylene. Does anybody knows or familiar with any technique that can do it?

06:13 Dec-18-2006

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: Riser inspection Lot of good input from vendors and most of the techniques have some applicability. But it all fails to start at the beginning and ask what are you looking for.

The wording of your question suggests this is a fixed installation riser internally clad with CRA alloy to prevent internal corrosion and externally coated to reduce the potential for external attack.

You need to look at design and process conditions and determine on a risk basis what if any degradation you expect, where you expect it to occur and what morphology pitting, general waste etc.

First stage should be an external visual diver or ROV to look for physical damage as this may influence your risk analysis.

Once complete you need to look at each NDE technique and its ability (or more importantly its inability) to identify the anticipated damage correctly. This review also needs to include the access limitations of the techniques.

Once this is complete you should be able to answer, do I need to inspect, what technique is applicable andhow you deploy it. Of course the answer could be that you have to do nothing. Don't inspect for the sake of inspecting do things which are effective.

Lastly how often do you need to inspect and are there other monitoring solutions that provide data you can use to evaluate the potential for degradation.

13:38 Jan-09-2015
George Mclean
Re: Riser inspection In Reply to Richard Kazares at 08:01 Oct-18-2006 .

Richard reading your below response i also am interested to find out more on riser inspection tools avaialble on the market. We have an upcoming project of 350 joints that require internal UTM / mpi / dpi

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|