|In the course of a restructuring and thematic / strategic realignment of Fraunhofer IZFP, the Ultrasonic Imaging working group – until then located at Fraunhofer ITWM – was integrated into Fraunhofer IZFP with the beginning of the year 2015.
In January 2015, the scientists Dr. rer. nat. habil. Martin Spies and Dipl.-Ing. Hans Rieder – working in Kaiserslautern until the end of 2014 – joined Fraunhofer IZFP to further strengthen the NDT of Components and Assemblies Department led by Prof. Dr.-Ing. Bernd Valeske.
With their proven market expertise, the two researchers primarily extend the topic of multimodal inspection techniques, in particular the field of ultrasonic testing technology and its application in industrial production. “The closer coordination and bundling of common know-how for simulation-based nondestructive ultrasonic inspection will further strengthen the Fraunhofer IZFP as a competent and reliable R&D partner“ says Dr. Martin Spies.
For more than two decades the two scientists have acquired valuable expertise in the area of simulation-based and mechanized ultrasonic testing of complex materials and components. One example refers to the ultrasonic testing of ship propellers: Damage to the propeller can lead to a significant limitation and even to the complete loss of maneuverability and, thus, can potentially cause significant threats to the environment. Many of the propeller damages occur without direct external impact, but result from production and repair failures. To get on the track of such defects, Rieder and Spies developed a comprehensive ultrasonic inspection procedure based on mechanized scanning. In recent years, both scientists received a variety of awards, for example, in 2011 the prize of the German Copper Institute for the development and application of an efficient procedure for ultrasonic nondestructive testing of cast bronze alloys.
Dipl.-Ing. Hans Rieder (left)
- Personal member, DGZfP
- Member of technical committee “Ultrasonic Testing”, DGZfP
- Chairman of the subcommittee “Phased Array” of the technical committee “Ultrasonic Testing”
- Member of the subcommittee “Automated Ultrasound Inspection Systems” of the technical committee “Ultrasonic Testing”
- Lecturer at the Saarland University of Applied Sciences (HTW) in the Department of Telecommunications on ”Embedded Signal Processing”
Dr. rer. nat. habil. Martin Spies (right)
- Personal member, member of the advisory board, DGZfP
- Member of the technical committees “University Lecturers“ and “Ultrasonic Testing”, DGZfP
- Chairman of the subcommittee »Modeling & Image Processing« of the technical committee “Ultrasonic Testing”
- Member of the subcommittees “Training“ and “Phased Array“ of the technical committee “Ultrasonic Testing”
- Member of the programme committee of the DGZfP annual conference
- Vice president of WCNDT 2016 (World Conference on NDT, Munich 2016)
- Lectures at Saarland University and University of Bordeaux
For further information:
Priv.-Doz. Dr. rer. nat. habil. Martin Spies | Fraunhofer-Institut für Zerstörungsfreie Prüfverfahren IZFP |
Phone +49 681 9302-3612 | Campus E3.1 | 66123 Saarbrücken | www.izfp.fraunhofer.de |
Dipl.-Ing. Hans Rieder | Fraunhofer-Institut für Zerstörungsfreie Prüfverfahren IZFP | Phone +49 681 9302-
3614 | Campus E3.1 | 66123 Saarbrücken | www.izfp.fraunhofer.de | firstname.lastname@example.org